BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 78d, 5h, 8m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 6521MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:11 am 
Administrator

\(Abandonware) Applications\PC has been split into \PC (DOS) and \PC (Windows) respectively, and the old PC folder has been renamed to \PC (Unsorted). I need help with cleaning up the unsorted folder, I've made a topic about in case you think you can help.

I've also started to trickle down some releases from the now defunct Microsoft MSDN library. There's a lot of stuff there I have no idea where to put, and these will be put in the compilations folder, but whatever that can be identified will be added to their respective main categories. Expect a lot more stuff from the library once the storage has been further expanded.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:23 pm 
Administrator

Some more big changes:

All the MSDN downloads (from the old MSDN Subscriber pages before it shut down) that has been trickling down onto the FTP will be scraped from all the abandonware sections into its own folder:

\(Misc) Compilations\PC (Microsoft MSDN Network)

All the previous MSDN downloads will end up here as I will start adding abandonware titles from it over time. Since I have to manually rename everything (Microsoft made a huge mess here) it will take time and I will do it in between regular releases.

If you see any releases that you think should be here let me know, but you better be able to prove that it belonged to the old library.

The folder name and subfolders are not final as I am tweaking the folder names to fit everything properly.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:51 pm 
Administrator

I finally finished building my "KryoBox", a Shuttle computer with a combined 5.25"/3.5" floppy drive and embedded kryoflux device. So I can finally start dumping all the floppies I got piled up. Andy sent me a big pile of Amiga floppies but unfortunately all of them were partially unreadable (drive is working fine, managed to dump my own Amiga software), so the lesson to everyone: Keep your floppies safe, fresh and out of harm!

I'll be adding more MSDN releases when time allows it, and there will be more releases from my personal collection as well. Spent two whole days scanning and dumping, now I need to process it all before I can add it to the archive.

I've also installed a new storage server that will act as my new backup server (QNAP TS-1679U-RP, google it!), and the "old" backup server will act as a scratch server for all my temp drives and misc stuff I got archived up.

I will continue optimizing the FTP to save space and reduce the amount of "redundant" releases to make it more manageable. I will also work on repacking the FTP by removing the recovery data from the RAR file and put it in external PAR2 files due to some severe flaws with RAR making the recovery data useless... This will be an ongoing process and should not change anything for the average user.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
mrpijey wrote:
I finally finished building my "KryoBox", a Shuttle computer with a combined 5.25"/3.5" floppy drive and embedded kryoflux device. So I can finally start dumping all the floppies I got piled up. Andy sent me a big pile of Amiga floppies but unfortunately all of them were partially unreadable (drive is working fine, managed to dump my own Amiga software), so the lesson to everyone: Keep your floppies safe, fresh and out of harm!

Before tossing them out, try reading them with another drive, if you can. I had similar issues (disks consistently wouldn't red/decode in one drive, worked just fine in another one... with both self-written and original software) and I assume it might be because of very slight misalignment between different floppy drives. Or maybe the read heads of some drives are just more sensitive than on other drives.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 am 
Administrator

I tried some of them on a real Amiga with the same results, and I managed to dump my own Amiga floppies with the same drive.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
I understood that. I'm just saying that I had issues like that, where drive A would read a disk just fine which drive B wouldn't read correctly at all, yet on the other hand, drive B would read a different disk that drive A has massive problems with. It all depends on the alignment of the drive the disks were written with (and/or probably other factors as well, like rotational speed tolerances etc.). In some extreme cases I had to use drive A for the first half of the tracks, and drive B for the second half, to manually mix them together later.
That's why I keep at least 2 or 3 drives handy, just in case.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:03 pm 
Administrator

Well I can try, it's just extremely cumbersome now to switch out the floppy, and the problem is that the kryoflux doesn't allow for easy floppy switching either and it only supports two drives (even when technically the controller supports four).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
@mrpijey where do localized windows 2000/XP beta builds located now?
I can't find non EN-US versions in FTP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:02 am 
Administrator

They are all in the same place as the en-us ones. I don't separate the localized versions.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
They are all in the same place as the en-us ones. I don't separate the localized versions.

but I can't find them, for example XP 2462 Chinese should be in 5.1.2462.0 folder, but there is en-us only.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW, 98SE, 5.1.2464, LH4001
The leaked version is Server beta, search for 2462 here: http://betaarchive.mrpijey.net/data/list_online/(Beta)%20Operating%20Systems%20(3).txt

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
oscareczek wrote:
The leaked version is Server beta, search for 2462 here: http://betaarchive.mrpijey.net/data/list_online/(Beta)%20Operating%20Systems%20(3).txt

I'm talking another one:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:33 pm 
Administrator

That's an MSDN disc which of course ends up in the MSDN compilation sets folders and not in the retail/OEM OS folders.

Please refer any inquiries regarding the FTP to the proper Site Feedback and Support forums, this thread is for information purposes regarding the status and changes to the FTP and not for inquiries. Or PM me directly.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 am 
Administrator

Some more larger updates to the FTP structure and contents:

• All releases are currently being repacked and the RAR recovery data is being removed due to its bad implementation and it's simply unsafe and unpredictable to use. PAR2 sets are being created instead. Releases will be slightly smaller as a result. This also means users can't repair broken downloads themselves, please report any broken releases to me.
  • The old "www.betaarchive.com.info" textfiles are being removed and replaced by the release_info.txt file which contains all the info from the old textfile.
  • Any release that has more than one primary language will be renamed to [Multilanguage], this to shorten the name, but also to be able to have a more extensive language list in an external file which will also be added to the future database. Any known languages will be added to the external file. Blame Microsoft and their antique NTFS limitations forcing me to shorten the folder names and paths.
  • The abandonware rule will be enforced even more so there will be some releases removed from the FTP for the time being, this including Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Office 2007 and others. Please report any releases that should not be there. Any non-abandonware releases can still be uploaded to the FTP, but not offered on the forums. Contact me if you wish to contribute a non-abandonware title and are unsure.

Correction: This will not affect Windows Vista. Vista has reached EOL and all support, including extended support, has reached its end date so Vista SP0 and SP1 are again available on the FTP. SP2 will be available on April 10th 2019. Sorry for the confusion.

Questions? Drop me a PM or get in touch with me on Discord.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
Why are you removing Windows Vista? It is already unsupported and more than 10 years (Referring to the RTM/SP0) Or are you going to keep Windows Vista SP0?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:12 am 
Administrator

With Windows Vista it's a bit special. I am having great difficulty deciding on where to draw the line. If we draw the line hard Vista wouldn't come up until 2027, but at the same time Vista is out of support entirely, and the original SP0 as well as SP1 is also over 10 years old as you say so it should be fine. Personally I think Vista SP0 and SP1 should be allowed back in, as long as any extended support etc has ended the 10 year policy for the main product (in this case just Windows Vista) should apply, allowing Vista SP0 and SP1 to be put back on.

This is what happens when I need to keep track of everything myself :).

Vista will most likely be put back on and I will have to write a more detailed checklist on how to decide if something should be put on the FTP or not.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
I suggest you, to not add any products that are still supported in some way by its vendor, even if they are 10+ years old. By the other side, do not add any products that aren't 10 years old yet, even if their vendor do not support them completely. At least that's how I understood the rules. And as for the SPs, let's put the Vista example: Vista itself is plus 10 years old, but the SP2 isn't, sothe Windows Vista SP2 shouldn't be added, but Vista SP0 can be added without problems since it's plus ten years old. Same with any future software. When Windows 7 is unsupported completely, Windows 7 SP0 can be added, but Windows 7 SP1 cannot, since it had it's service pack in 2011, so Windows 7 SP1 can be added after 2021, always that the product is completely unsupported

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 pm 
Administrator

Unfortunately no new posted FTP updates at this time. I've added tons to the FTP, but since I am reworking the whole BA management script I can't post any updates as the new script isn't done, and the old one is broken (due to folder layout changes).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 pm 
Administrator

A little flash update!

New database is up (finally!), and repacking is ongoing as scheduled, and about halfway done. Due to the repack the archive size will shrink since the archives themselves are getting smaller due to the repack. Which in a way is good since you got less data to download, but if anything breaks you will need to report it as recovery data is no longer available to the user.

I am trying to process uploads as fast as I can but my time is at the moment divided between continued development of the database backend and release processing. I try to do a little bit of both and new member uploads are always prioritized. If you got questions here PM me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:54 pm 
Administrator

Work is progressing with the repack... it's taken many months now and I am on the final drive but also the biggest drive.... so it's slow and steady.

I am processing a bunch of member uploads, lots of scans take time to process so it's slow work. But it will get onto the FTP soon enough.

Yesterday I got the first bunch of several boxes of PC games, here's a small sample I am going to dump, scan and process....

All of these will end up on the FTP, given that they are all within our abandonware rules. Otherwise they will be archived for the future. I still have several boxes full of Mac software that also needs to be processed.

To be continued!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:07 pm 
Administrator

I hope everyone enjoyed their Xmas and New Years break!

I've started with FTP releases again, this time with a few nice Win 8 betas contributed to us by an anonymous source. Thank you!

I've also added a few game related (Blizzard mostly) press kits for those of you interested in artwork, models and technical info.

Enjoy!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:46 pm 
Administrator

I've been combining a few releases into larger packs for easier organisation - rather than having individual files for the language packs and service packs releases of the same build I've combined all the arch versions of the same build into a single release. Since these are not individual products they go well into a single pack, whereas actual products are kept separate unless they are part of a larger original product package.

An example:

en_windows_8_consumer_preview_symbols_debug_checked_build_x64_811359.msi
en_windows_8_consumer_preview_symbols_debug_checked_build_x86_811361.msi
en_windows_8_consumer_preview_symbols_x64_811360.msi
en_windows_8_consumer_preview_symbols_x86_811362.msi

These were before the change individual releases, each tagged with (beta), (x64 beta), (beta chk) and (x64 beta chk). All of them are now combined into a single release. These "multi arch" releases are at the moment not tagged in any way, but take a quick look at the checksum_media_* files to see what the release contains and what checksums they have. This will be resolved in a future database update with an additional architecture tag and archive listing.

If there's just a single release of a specific architecture the tag will remain. This only applies to the language packs and service packs sections and not to any other sections.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:45 am 
Administrator

Things has slowed down lately, mostly due to a lot of work but I've also been quite ill the last week or so, so expect little activity with releases for a while. I am however always reachable on Discord or through PM in case there's something. I also have a huge pile of original discs that needs archiving, I will be going through my entire collection and archive everything that is missing or previous archived below standards and then sell off the collection as it's taking up too much space.

As usual I prioritize new members and well prepared uploads!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:18 pm 
Administrator

Releases has been slow, I am currently elbow deep in setting up the new 10TB drives we've recently purchased and I am at the same time trying to setup a different config for how they are configured in FreeNAS, by mounting a ZVOL with iSCSI instead of just directly, and see if I can setup replication successfully. I am unfortunately afraid my poor QNAP enclosure is too weak to handle it so I might need to get a new enclosure and upgrade the whole thing... $$$ bye bye... Eventually we will probably go with a RaidZ-1 array as well, but both Andy and me would need additional investments in storage for that, so for now we still use individual drives.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25