BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 1h, 52m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5337MB of 11537MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:06 pm 
Administrator

Split apart the server components from \(Abandonware) Operating Systems\PC\Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and put them in their own section, and renamed all releases.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 pm 

Favourite OS
iOS 6.1.3
mrpijey wrote:
In the next update all the iOS firmware stuff will be removed. There's absolutely no interest in there, I stopped updating the betas a year ago or so and no one else has contributed any betas for this section. None of it is actually usable either as there is no emulator for iOS, and Apple has made sure you can't easily downgrade either. So this is just using up a lot of space for no reason as no one cares about this.

iOS applications and games will remain, as well as other Apple-related stuff.

You have some rare IPSWs which would be helpful to others in the iOS jailbreaking community. They actually are usable and there are easy ways to downgrade and use them, for example using coolbooter.

Could we please get them from you and archive them before you get rid of them?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 am 
Administrator

It was 2TB worth of stuff that would take a while to upload and would seriously limit the bandwidth for other BA members. And since no one really cared about these (except now, when facing deletion) I didn't see any reason to keep them. There has not been any updates to the collection for a very long time as I grew tired having to sit through manual downloads of every beta and tech preview, and it used up a lot of space since it didn't deduplicate at all.

If I had seen some activity regarding these and seen members being interested in them I would have kept them. But I can't keep 2TB of un-deduplicated stuff on the FTP just for one or two members that on occastion downloads a single build or two. The iOS builds were one of the least downloaded files of all times from the FTP, and also the least useful.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
I personally don't really care about those iOS betas, but the fact that some files get deleted with little to no warning just because "nobody downloaded them recently" is kinda worrying for me, since I'm one of those people who are usually interested in the "less popular" pieces on the FTP

If other software were to disappear in the same way in the future, without people being notified well in advance, that would be a big no-go for me, for a site that boasts to be first and mainly about preservation.

Please consider updating your FTP rules and policies with some specific rules on how the admins will deal with such deletions in the future. I understand that you might need the space for other, more "interesting" things, but IMHO clear rules are needed on how to handle this in the future

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:50 pm 
Administrator

We've never claimed we would preserve everything, primarily only original stuff. And yes, normally I would warn people in advance (as I did with the recovery media) but in this case it was a judgement call based on the facts that no one cares about these (there has been no uploads, no attempts at writing any usable guide for them, no regular discussion regarding new features), no one ever contributes with these except myself (I stopped a long time ago since it was more work than worth) and these are more of firmwares for the phones than anything. We don't carry any BlackBerry systems, device-specific Windows Mobile versions or any other kind of firmware systems on the FTP as is. And uploading these iOS versions somewhere is not an option either since it takes too long to do that and that time is better spent elsewhere. I still have the iOS betas as I am trying to shove them off onto backup drives for long term storage, but they have been taken away from the BA drives.

But yes, I agree with you that there should be a policy regarding mass deletions and I will look into that. Things don't get deleted, they are just moved off the FTP. I rarely delete stuff myself unless I find it utterly useless, and perhaps in 4000 years when someone cares enough about iOS to make some kind of emulator or something these might get useful again...

Edit: I've added an offline content folder to the list folder where I list archived contents we might put online again. I have some other stuff in mind for this section later but it's not prepared yet.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:55 am 
Administrator

For those of you that wonders where the UUP updates went, they are for the time being in the following folder:

\(Misc) Compilations\PC\Microsoft Windows 10 Packs\Microsoft Unified Update Platform

I do however have some plans for this folder, all the UUP releases might be removed from the FTP in favor of pre-made ISOs now that I have the tools to make every ISO for every language and SKU. A lot of people can't bother with having to create the ISOs from the UUP packs instead of downloading a ready-to-go ISO so I think we should favor ISO files instead. UUP releases will be kept, but offline as they take up a lot of space...

I have not yet decided but I will make a decision before the next release log update. There's a new build of Win10 being downloaded now so once that finishes I will have my decision.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:59 pm 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
For those of you that wonders where the UUP updates went, they are for the time being in the following folder:

\(Misc) Compilations\PC\Microsoft Windows 10 Packs\Microsoft Unified Update Platform

I do however have some plans for this folder, all the UUP releases might be removed from the FTP in favor of pre-made ISOs now that I have the tools to make every ISO for every language and SKU. A lot of people can't bother with having to create the ISOs from the UUP packs instead of downloading a ready-to-go ISO so I think we should favor ISO files instead. UUP releases will be kept, but offline as they take up a lot of space...

I have not yet decided but I will make a decision before the next release log update. There's a new build of Win10 being downloaded now so once that finishes I will have my decision.

For me, it's easier to convert the UUP files and upload my pre-made ISO. It's something tat I can help uploading because I need to make it always for clean installing my PCs so if the pre-made ISO is allowed now I can upload mine. If I need to copy UUPs from a PC it can fail because some folders have got long names and Windows doesn't accept it

Thanks mrpijey

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm 
Administrator

Thanks for the offer, but you don't need to upload any ISOs made from UUPs since I will be uploading all the ISOs I can make from my sets. Since I can automate it now it will be fairly easy to automate. Sure it takes some time for me to do it all but I think it's better we keep the ISOs as they are usable immediately. Much like the ESDs the UUPs are good only for one thing and I skip a step for everyone that wants to make the ISOs for themselves.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:49 pm 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
Thanks for the offer, but you don't need to upload any ISOs made from UUPs since I will be uploading all the ISOs I can make from my sets. Since I can automate it now it will be fairly easy to automate. Sure it takes some time for me to do it all but I think it's better we keep the ISOs as they are usable immediately. Much like the ESDs the UUPs are good only for one thing and I skip a step for everyone that wants to make the ISOs for themselves.

As I said in the DM, I'm talking about the new one released yesterday or the new ones coming the following weeks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:41 pm 
Administrator

Yes, and I am still saying that I will convert and process them all. All available langs, all available SKUs. If you want to share your UUP packs publically with a link on the forum you're welcome to, but anything uploaded to the FTP will be replaced anyway as I will use the ISOs I converted since it's all automated anyway. Will just be wasted time when I have to redo it again rather than just go with what I got myself.

But as I said, you can offer it on the forums if you'd like.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:57 pm 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
Yes, and I am still saying that I will convert and process them all. All available langs, all available SKUs. If you want to share your UUP packs publically with a link on the forum you're welcome to, but anything uploaded to the FTP will be replaced anyway as I will use the ISOs I converted since it's all automated anyway. Will just be wasted time when I have to redo it again rather than just go with what I got myself.

But as I said, you can offer it on the forums if you'd like.

Ok. I hope that your system will work soon

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 pm 
Administrator

A little update...

Due to the decrypter being incompatible with some of the UUP kits (some languages won't be decrypted to ISO without errors) I've decided that for the time being keep the UUPs on the FTP, and along with those any ISOs I do manage to decrypt.

My clients and servers are begging for mercy as I max out their capabilities at the moment, and my local workstation is crying, I got 8 cores maxed out along with four m.2 SSDs taxed to their full performance downloading, converting and packing, so I am trying to upload as much to the server as I can. I also got a few member uploads I need to take care of, but I'll try to squeeze in those as soon as the workload lightens. Doesn't help much that I need to work this weekend as well, so the next release will be delayed.

All I can say is that the next update will come as soon as possible. Please be patient.

There will be new Windows builds, UUP kits, games and some other tidbits in the next release. Frankly I don't even know what's new as I've been adding more and more to the FTP...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:26 am 
FTP Access

Can I upload my ISOs for now or wait until the system makes all and complete all the languages?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:38 pm 
Administrator

You don't need to upload your ISOs at all, but if you have an ISO we don't then you can upload it. But to save time for both of us please wait until I've uploaded all the ISOs. Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:20 pm 
Administrator

Another update...

The issues I had with the UUP kits weren't due to the decryptor but due to unforseen missing files... which unfortunately means some ISO won't be made as I can't get individual UUP files from older builds (more specifically 10.0.16251.1 and .1000). But I've taken on a new approach to make sure that doesn't happen anymore, so I will resume the original plan to have the UUP kits removed and only keep the ISOs, both for space saving and promoting more usable releases.

I am currently working on making ISOs for build 10.0.16257.1 as well as .1000, and I'll work on the incomplete 10.0.16251.1 (and .1000) and make as many ISOs I can out of them. Everything else should have already been converted to ISOs so they will be removed as soon as I finish the backup of everything.

Time is still busy-busy here but hopefully things will clear up by the weekend and next week, so I am hoping to process member uploads and make a release.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 am 
FTP Access

Hi mrpijey,

If you need help, Microsoft published the ISOs, Features on Demand, Symbols, etc for the build 16251 2 days ago.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ewadvanced
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-r ... uild-16251

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 am 
Administrator

Edit: Due to space constraints I will put up only en-us (+any languages where UUP kits are missing) SKUs of Windows 10 on the FTP. This will also affect older builds.

If anyone got issues with this let me know. But I need to remind you that putting up all those langs takes up about 1-2 weeks per build for me (converting, packing, moving to server, deduplicating) and uses up a lot of space (about 2.3TB per build) and I rather do other stuff... if we ever get more space to fit these I can put them up, but it would be best if we contained ourselves to en-us for the time being.

This will not affect original Microsoft ISOs which has been added to the FTP. A list of all archived UUP kits will be available in the upcoming offline-list.

Opinions?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:54 pm 
I'm okay with it, anything to keep the servers free for new stuff.

The other alternative could be to purchase more storage, which isn't exactly feasable.

Also a while back you said that you were removing all source code from the FTP, yet the /Incompletes/(Source) Operating Systems/ directories still exist. Deleting that will save ~250MB of disk space, which could be used for other software programs, OSes, etc.

Also is OSBA OS on the FTP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:14 pm 
Administrator

Ah, thanks for letting me know about the incompletes... Will move it to the archives as well.

And no, OSBA OS is not on the FTP as it's a custom OS which we don't carry.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 pm 
Administrator

Since the Windows 10 SDKs and stuff are growing endlessly I've moved all the Windows 10 related content in the \(Beta) Software Development Kits\PC and \(Misc) Uncategorized\Language Packs to the other Windows 10 sets in \(Misc) Compilations\PC (Windows 10). This only applies for betas for now of course since no Windows 10 content has reached abandonware status yet. So everything related to Windows 10 (except for the OS itself) should now be all in one place.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:59 pm 
Administrator

New releases today, comes in two parts.

Changed the PC Games beta section as there were too many releases in a single folder, now with 4 or more releases of the same title gets sorted into its own folder, the rest in [Other].

Trying to keep up with the uploads, soon there will be some 3 weeks of xmas leave which should allow me to catch up with recent and older uploads as well. Please format your releases as they are on the FTP, and pay attention to the scanning and dumping guidelines as it makes it easier for me to process and much faster for me to put it on the FTP. Two members I want to note who got this down to an art is JustZisGuy and Overdoze, your releases are more or less perfect and all I need to do with them is tag and bag them and that's all! Thank you a lot, and thanks to all other members who uploads nice and clean releases!

Enjoy!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Well thank you. :)

I should add that I've got a pretty large queue on my end too, made up of both original and reconstructed releases (from warez), so hopefully I'll be able to process some of that during the holiday break.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:42 pm 
Administrator

Oh good, no sleep for me then :).

Thanks for all the excellent work!

Will post some FTP updates now...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:44 am 
Administrator

An anonymous donator has given me a huge addition to prepare for the Microsoft Technet collections, material I am preparing as we speak. With this there will be some changes to the Technet naming to their more proper folder names, so expect some changes to both folders and release names.

Major thanks goes out the donator, your releases will be taken care of and preserved in our archives!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New releases & FTP activity        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:30 pm 
Administrator

Releases will be slow in the following week or so, I am expanding the server with a new 8TB drive and there's some major data shuffling I need to do to make sure we got more space.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next