BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 6h, 17m | CPU: 2% | MEM: 1801MB of 3033MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Longhorn Server Build 6001.16461 Released        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:31 pm 
Donator

Microsoft released Longhorn Server 6001 - 16461 Today
I installed it in just half an hour.
So, here are the screenshots:
Is it possible to get aero glass on server os?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:38 pm 
Donator

Awesome – a newer 6001 build! :) And finally they changed the look of the setup to look more server-like; the grey background looks much better than the green Vista one, IMHO.

Downloading now. WHS has to wait :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:48 pm 
Donator

Helmi wrote:
Thanks for the news but i not a beta tester for Server Longhorn lol

What's the point of this post?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:56 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Im guessing none. This person got 10 posts, expected to get into the members group and has now gone offline. Im removing the member.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:59 pm 
Donator

Well done, Andy! :) It's a pity that this is happening, people just expect to be given everything without having to give anything in return... :roll:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:21 pm 
where is the download? in connect isnt anything (yes, im tester for longhonr server and centro!)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/joshs ... erver.aspx
^ Guide on how to enable Areo in Longhorn Server.

Those Longhorn Server build looks very nice and it seems that Microsoft have made the setup colours different to the ones in vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:23 am 
Donator

Thanks for the Aero Glass on LHS guide – although nobody will probably use that on a server, it's nice to know when running LHS as a workstation or when your testing machine is your workstation. :)

Yes, I think the Setup colors have indeedly been changed – they finally look like what you'd expect for a server OS. Very nice.

(My download has just finished. Yeah!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:16 am 
Donator

They havn't change the logon screen's colour, it's still green like before

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:36 am 
Donator

XDude wrote:

What a pity – maybe they'll change that in one of the next versions... For some reason, I don't like the logon screen, it's way too fancy for a server; it's a pity you can't go back to the classic NT-style logon screen...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:55 am 
Donator

empireum wrote:
XDude wrote:

What a pity – maybe they'll change that in one of the next versions... For some reason, I don't like the logon screen, it's way too fancy for a server; it's a pity you can't go back to the classic NT-style logon screen...

They might remove it :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:02 am 
Donator

I am installng now too – the new grayish setup is really nice and gives the server feeling when installing. One thing I've noticed is that this build contains all 3 editions of it again (although only one can be activated, of course), 6001.16406 contained only Enterprise. I chose the flagship. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:07 am 
FTP Access

I believe the logon screen will stay the same, but it'll change to the Windows Vista Starter style (plain navy blue with dark green on the bottom)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:14 am 
FTP Access

So are there any other noticeable changes to this build, or just the new colours in Setup? The build number is pretty much the same, suggesting not much has changed - maybe this means they're preparing a build for a public beta? :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:22 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
So are there any other noticeable changes to this build, or just the new colours in Setup? The build number is pretty much the same, suggesting not much has changed - maybe this means they're preparing a build for a public beta? :D

I have just finished installing the Datacenter release of this baby and it's booting for the first time. I'll check if I can find some new features, but the fact the build number has stayed the same might imply that there are not too much substantial changes. I hope they have the final beta 3 –which is probably the one to go public –, which is said to have the new name and to be feature complete, ready soon.

It has booted now and I'm having a look at the "Add new features" wizad to see what the Datacenter has to show off :) MS said they are going to be including Xen-based virtualization features to at least Datacenter to enable Linux giusts (or any other OS Xen supports) within the LHS host OS. I'm really looking forward to that one as I have a box here that would very likely be capable of doing that :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:39 am 
Donator

{System info, don't get fooled by the CPU speed, it's in a VM}

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:47 am 
Donator

I got glass working :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:48 am 
Donator

That doesn't look bad :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:53 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
MS said they are going to be including Xen-based virtualization features to at least Datacenter to enable Linux giusts (or any other OS Xen supports) within the LHS host OS. I'm really looking forward to that one as I have a box here that would very likely be capable of doing that :)

That sounds cool - I believe that Windows can be run under Xen if you have a CPU with hardware virtualisation assistance (eg an Intel Core 2 Duo).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:10 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
That sounds cool - I believe that Windows can be run under Xen if you have a CPU with hardware virtualisation assistance (eg an Intel Core 2 Duo).

That's correct. But you don't need a CPU as new as a Core 2 – a Core Duo (such as in my 1st gen Intel Mac), some newer Pentium Ds and pretty much all of AMD's AM2 CPUs also have that. But when I was testing it, it was a bit unstable... Windows XP would crash after an indefinable period of time, sometimes taking the host OS with it, forcing me to hard-reboot the Mac (which was running Linux for these tests, of course)...

Something to add: I've just installed some additional features, such as Desktop Experience and the .NET Framework on my Server install, and although it took a very long time and the wizard eventually hung up so I had to forcibly kill it – don't mind, it's a beta, isn't it? –, everything seems to have gone well and to work. I now also have the Welcome Center from Vista, which seems to be a bit "lost" on that OS for some reason, just look at the following screenshot at the OS description... :) The Tablet PC properties and that stuff are now also available, crowding the Control Panel pretty much...

But I think the Control Panel is pretty much identical to that on Vista Ultimate, isn't it? That's because all the server-relevant (management etc.) stuff is done via Administrative Tools, which begin to get interesting when opened :) The core tool is the Server Manager.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]