BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 1h, 26m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 4977MB of 11999MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:50 am 
FTP Access

YEEEEAAAAHHH!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Quote:
Greetings from the Windows Home Server Team
You have been approved to be in the Windows Home Server Beta program.

To accept this invitation and apply to become a member of this program, please follow these steps:

1) Use your Internet connection to visit the Microsoft Connect Web site (http://connect.microsoft.com).

2) Click Invitations on the Connect menu.

3) You will need to sign in using a valid Windows Live ID before you can continue to the Invitations page.

4) Enter your Invitation ID in the box.

Your invitation ID is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

5) Click Go.

6) If you have not previously registered with Microsoft Connect, you might be required to register before you continue with the invitation process.

Follow the steps shown to you by that program to apply to become an active participant. (You may be asked to take a survey, or complete other activities.)

On the Windows Home Server Connect site you will find:
• Product Documentation
• Windows Home Server Software
• Product Keys
• Links for submitting bugs & suggestions

That was quick! ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:56 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
YEEEEAAAAHHH!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Quote:
Greetings from the Windows Home Server Team
You have been approved to be in the Windows Home Server Beta program.

To accept this invitation and apply to become a member of this program, please follow these steps:

1) Use your Internet connection to visit the Microsoft Connect Web site (http://connect.microsoft.com).

2) Click Invitations on the Connect menu.

3) You will need to sign in using a valid Windows Live ID before you can continue to the Invitations page.

4) Enter your Invitation ID in the box.

Your invitation ID is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

5) Click Go.

6) If you have not previously registered with Microsoft Connect, you might be required to register before you continue with the invitation process.

Follow the steps shown to you by that program to apply to become an active participant. (You may be asked to take a survey, or complete other activities.)

On the Windows Home Server Connect site you will find:
• Product Documentation
• Windows Home Server Software
• Product Keys
• Links for submitting bugs & suggestions

That was quick! ;)

looks like there's a luck one!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:02 pm 
FTP Access

Funny, I got a second invite :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:24 pm 
Looks like I got lucky too..! :)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 pm 
FTP Access

Awesome :D I've just had a look through the documentation available on the Connect site and this looks like a really interesting product - should be a good Beta :) I'm even going to delete my Vista RTM virtual machine to test this, as otherwise I'm out of disk space!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:12 pm 
Donator

Whoooo! I'm in!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:37 pm 
Donator

I got in too! :) I'll also test this soon. Now who's the first to get us some screenshots of the OS itself?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
I guess i didn't :cry:.
I don't think Microsoft are going to take leaked screenshots of it very well i've heard :roll:.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:59 pm 
FTP Access

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38184 have got a few screens of it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:18 pm 
FTP Access

:shock: Microsoft have some fast servers - just got this in a matter of minutes at an average speed of nearly 4 MB (megabytes, not megabits!) per second! :D

Just having a look at the DVD, it's quite strange - there's a folder caled SVR_2003 which appears to contain a Windows 2003 CD pretty much - when you open the Setup app that is in that folder you get this:

The readmes in that folder relate to Server 2003 Standard Edition though.

Doesn't seem to be an install.wim, only a boot.wim - all the setup files are in the i386 folder for Windows 2003, and then there's a load of separate msi installers for some of the WHS components.

Edit: well that excitement didn't last long did it? :( :( :(

Edit 2: OK, seems to be faring a little better having the iso mounted under Daemon instead of VMware - it's now got to Setup but failed because I forgot to allocate 512 MB to the VM - looks like we're good to go now :D Setup, by the way, looks very like Server 2003 Setup, except that it's running inside PE 2.0.

After the first reboot though, it looks exactly as if it's booted off a Windows 2003 CD:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:17 am 
Donator

Thanks for the screenshots and infos, this indeed looks interesting. I'll start the WHS download as soon as my Longhorn Server download is complete. And seeing I do have a spare box here that meets the requirements for WHS, I think I'll give it a go there – outside of a VM :) I've also looked at the screenshots posted on the Neowin page, the build string reveals this is based on Server 2003 with SP2 RC1.

And, Vista: How do you get a 4MBytes/s connection? :shock:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:37 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:

At university (at home we just have the standard "up to 8Mbps" connection) - we have a pretty good connection here, I think the whole uni has something like 10 Gbps and they have buried fibre-optic cables in the streets around the city so that where we live gets it too :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:34 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
empireum wrote:

At university (at home we just have the standard "up to 8Mbps" connection) - we have a pretty good connection here, I think the whole uni has something like 10 Gbps and they have buried fibre-optic cables in the streets around the city so that where we live gets it too :)

Ah, okay. My school has a pretty good connection as well (10 or 20Mbps IIRC) – maybe I can ask my teacher to let me download this stuff at school the next time... :) At home I have to be satisfied with a 1Mbps connection, but it's enough most of the time.
[/off-topic]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:51 am 
Donator

cool :)

I'm going to Dl it next week whem I'm at university :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:00 am 
im installing now to. why they cant make it like vista in a GUI setup?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:33 am 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
im installing now to. why they cant make it like vista in a GUI setup?

a) It's a beta and they might change this in the final release.
b) Including a), Server 2003 is not installed using the WIM method and it might be too much of a hassle to change all that – at least in the beta.

Other things: 1) It's a bit strange that they use Server 2003 for SBS as a base when the readme documents relate to Standard – while we're at it, Server 2003 for SBS is based on Standard...
2) It might be possible to install all of the WHS stuff on an ordinary install of Server 2003, be it Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter (I exclude the Web Edition because it's explicitly not designed to be used as a file server). This will allow users to have all the WHS goodies while keeping the full-blown OS as a base... I see, there are going to be some nice experiments waiting for us...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:46 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
My college has a dedicated 10Mbps/10Mbps fibre link to JA.NET. Works wonderfully :)

4/0.4 is enough for me here at home most of the time. I just want a damn upload increase!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:16 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
This will allow users to have all the WHS goodies while keeping the full-blown OS as a base... I see, there are going to be some nice experiments waiting for us...

As far as I can see it is pretty much a full-blown server with the WHS stuff bolted on, at least at the moment - when you log on you get a thing saying basically "don't touch the admin tools (all the MMC snapins in the Administrative Tools folder, like on a normal Server 2003, though I couldn't see everything that's usually there eg Manage Your Server) as you might break the WHS functionality".

As for the Wim thing, they repacked XP into the Wim format for Windows Fundamentals, so I don't see why they shouldn't do it for this, although then again the image-based install is designed to make enterprise deployment easier and setup faster, neither of which are that relevant to Home Server (for the latter point, I think they expect most copies of Home Server to be sold pre-installed on a specially-designed device).

The strangest thing that I think about WHS is that they're releasing a new OS based on old technology, NT 5.x being replaced by Vista and LH Server this year. I'm wondering if they'll update it with the Vista icons etc to make it fit in with the new stuff, but then again maybe not as the intention seems to be that you never see WHS, only the remote admin panel, which already looks like Vista. Maybe deep-down MS know that XP/2003 still have a lot of life left in them?

I just tried installing some of the WHS components on XP Pro - the WHS Console installed but said "Exception Thrown" when I tried to run it, but possibly you would need to install all of the components (and probably in the right order too) before any of it works. However, it clearly did something as then when I tried to install the Connector CD (the software that you put on your WHS clients), it wouldn't do it because it thought I was trying to install the client software on to a Home Server.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:16 pm 
FTP Access

I'd rather someone extracted the programs for installation on LH server.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:37 pm 
Donator

expert01 wrote:
I'd rather someone extracted the programs for installation on LH server.

Easy, all you should actually need is the files from the \WHS directory on the CD. No guarantee these will work on LHS without modification, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:04 am 
FTP Access

I got an invite. When I go to downloads, all it downloads is a very small text file.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:47 am 
Donator

dirtwarrior wrote:
I got an invite. When I go to downloads, all it downloads is a very small text file.

Which browser? You need the MS FIle Transfer Manager to download AFAIK...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:54 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Firefox seems to download a small aspx file because its not properly configured, but IE will start the download manager.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:26 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
Firefox seems to download a small aspx file because its not properly configured, but IE will start the download manager.

If using Firefox, you need to install the MS File Transfer Manager manually.
http://transfers.one.microsoft.com/ftm/TransferSource/FTMSetup.msi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:08 pm 
Donator

Got accepted too!!! Can't wait to download!

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next