BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 23h, 37m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 2312MB of 3601MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Linspire and Ubuntu becoming closer        Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:22 am 
Donator

Linspire and Ubuntu becoming closer

Canonical, the sponsor of Ubuntu, and Linspire, the developer of Linspire and Freespire, on Feb. 8 announced a technology partnership to integrate with each other's Linux distributions. Linspire/Freespire will be based on Ubuntu, rather than Debian, and Ubuntu will integrate with Linspire's CNR package installer/updater.

For Linspire, that will mean moving from Debian to Ubuntu as the base for its Linspire and Freespire desktop operating systems.

For Ubuntu, starting with the 7.04 release in April, this means that Ubuntu users will gain access to the newly opened Linspire CNR (Click and Run) software delivery system, which will give them one-click access to commercial programs and proprietary multimedia CODECs and drivers.

"Ubuntu is the most successful community-based Linux project to date," said Kevin Carmony, CEO of Linspire in a statement. "They have done a fantastic job with the development community and creating tools for utilizing their technology. It made a tremendous amount of sense to partner with Canonical and begin basing our desktop Linux offerings on Ubuntu."

Source

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:48 am 
FTP Access

I don't like this...
Ubuntu is supposed to be only free software, free as in 100% free with source code and stuff (it says so on those free CDs that you can order). Now they are adding a repository of paid stuff? Ubuntu is a good distrubtion, if they do this I will be forced to change my view on it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:39 am 
FTP Access

:snaps fingers:

Darn, not listening to their customers I see...

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:43 pm 
Donator

I don't understand, isn't giving users easy access to commercial software a good idea... of course Ubuntu is based around free software, but the option is a really good idea. TBH I'm not paying for my linux however.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:37 pm 
Donator

same here

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]