BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 23h, 9m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5642MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I have had a thought of putting together a VM repository. It might be easier for people to try machines out easily without having to install the os etc...

Would people be interested in this?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Interesting idea.. i'v been thinking about the save.

The question remains to what VM tech to use (virtualbox, vmware, ms virt. server, hyper-v etc.)

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:55 pm 
Donator

Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
If we decide to use one format, people won't have that format. EG: if we decide to use Virtual PC, then someone will be a hardcore VMware user, etc...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:03 pm 
Administrator

I've worked on a similiar idea to put on BA, but instead of providing pre-installed VM:s I am working on a web-based system where you login through VNC (or something similiar) and control a VM directly from my server. Every VM would be preinstalled according to a specific standard to provide the real experience for anyone wanting to test it (no custom hacks, default desktop as when freshly installed etc).

The problem with providing VM:s as files is that when the host software (VMWare, VPC) is updated with a major change the VM stops working or they need patching to work with new drivers, formats etc. So in the end you would spend tons of work making a VM that won't work after a few months or a year without fiddling... And no one wants to be forced to install and uninstall multiple VM hosts software just to try a VM.

With my solution anyone can logon and play with the stuff, and as soon as they log out the changes are reverted to the defaults for the next viewer. The drawback is that you need an internet connection and can't save the changes, but for that you can actually install the build yourself.

If anyone got any suggestions let me know. And keep working on your idea hougtimo =).

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Something in the line of VMWare ESX (ESXi) with and then share it on the net with an VPN/VNC.

And for the people who maintain builds (if any are needed) Virtual Infrastructure client.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Im thinking of doing a VM everyone can use (itll be at http://alpc.no-ip.biz:1024/) itll be a kind of public VM Server

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
i think a vm archive is a good idea BUT i think the vm server is better idea, especialy if changes can be undone, i also think it would be fair to charge for access to the on-line site,maybe students could access it for free if they provide some sort of student number, everyone else could pay a one off fee or choose to pay a cheaper 12 month access fee.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:16 am 
Donator

betaluva wrote:
maybe students could access it for free if they provide some sort of student number

Nowdays all students have a school ID card, perhaps a scan of the card...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:41 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Wait, is this for accessing VM's? If so, For me, My school district uses some wacky student lunch number thing, where your lunch number is used to check out books at the library, buy lunch, and more. Would a scan of that be acceptable? I have the little sticker on my planner from 6th grade. (I'm in the 7th now (the school year approaching) :D)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
DBlake wrote:
If we decide to use one format, people won't have that format. EG: if we decide to use Virtual PC, then someone will be a hardcore VMware user, etc...

What about making a Ghost image (or whatever) that is kept in an ISO image, so you boot off it and extract it to the HD?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:13 pm 
Donator

How about El-Torito Boot for XP, Server 2003 and Early LH Betas?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Offer] Would people be interested in a VM repository?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:24 pm 
Donator

Windows OCManage wrote:
How about El-Torito Boot for XP, Server 2003 and Early LH Betas?

What? El Torito is just the standard method for creating bootable/booting from CDs. There is no other standard that I know, if there is it isn't widely used, hence the reason no one ever says "El Torito Bootable CD" and everyone says "Bootable CD" instead. It's like saying "I have some US money created by a US mint." No one else prints US money.

Top  Profile