BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 7h, 59m | CPU: 11% | MEM: 4025MB of 10245MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I downloaded every little thing the BA server has for BeOS and I still can't install it. I've searched everywhere and I still don't get it. Does anyone here have a CD that will install without me using floppies and running the installer and switching discs and other things that don't work?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:00 pm 
Donator

There's tons of things that can be wrong. Odds are your computer is unsupported and/or you have too much ram. If it's an older machine with just 512MB ram you might get lucky with Dano and if that fails you can try Zeta or BeOS MAX.

But if you want to get a feel for what a modern BeOS can do I totally recommend downloading a pre-alpha VMWare image from haiku-os.org and running that. It's surprisingly stable and the pre-alpha images come with firefox, some development tools and some other stuff to play around with. Looks better than Zeta and BeOS combined too thanks to proper font rendering etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 pm 
Donator

Most of the time the issue is an unsupported IDE chipset. Hit spacebar during boot and turn off IDE DMA.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I did all of that and my hardware is supported. I tried this before as well and I hit spacebar and selected boot for cd-rom but it just said instert BeOS cd.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 pm 
Donator

MugenFox wrote:
I did all of that and my hardware is supported. I tried this before as well and I hit spacebar and selected boot for cd-rom but it just said instert BeOS cd.

Sure you've burnt the cd correctly? BeOS can't be distributed as an ISO but has to be a .cue/.bin combo thanks to it's multi-track layout. The first track is the basic boot floppy and the second track is a bfs filesystem image. It's also very picky about which IDE channel you have the cddrive on, your best bet is to put the harddrive on IDE0 Master and the cddrive on IDE0 Slave.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Is that required for MAX?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:06 pm 
Donator

MugenFox wrote:
Is that required for MAX?

Well BeOS MAX is really just BeOS PE modified to be installable with some added and updated software. Some drivers have been added but it's still based on the deprecated 5.0.3 kernel and systemland. So most of what applies to a base BeOS R5 applies with some minor adjustements as far as hdd compatibility goes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I got MAX running! Yay! :D

I will try this for the rest of them.

P.S.
How do you burn XBEOX (LiveCD of BeOS)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:59 pm 
Donator

I haven't tried XBEOX but if it's a live cd I'm guessing the procedure is the same as for the regular cds. First track being the bootimg and the second being image.be (the filesystem image). Good luck.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
It has a cue file, and XBEOX.img file and a boot.img

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:57 am 
Donator

Well the .cue file should have entries for the .img files so just burn it and hopefully it'll boot.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
Senryu PE is your best bet. haikuware.com. Its vmware images of a preinstalled haiku system. Heaps of programs and other goodies to play wiith.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:58 pm 
FTP Access

Zeta is cool too.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
Ah zeta. Yellowtab really did something good with BeOS. Pity they had no rights to the source. PalmSource owns the whole lot now. And there just going to let it die. So sad.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:06 pm 
Donator

damian wrote:
Ah zeta. Yellowtab really did something good with BeOS. Pity they had no rights to the source. PalmSource owns the whole lot now. And there just going to let it die. So sad.

"Good" is highly subjective. The added hardware support was nice but it added a lot of unecessary crap that BeOS was never designed with in mind and removed what made BeOS really great. BeOS/Haiku's big selling point is that it's designed with desktops in mind. Pretty much everything about the system can be traced back to improving the desktop experience with it's multithreading and credo "assume the default but enable change". BeOS is meant to be working out of the box and have everything setup with no user intervention. It's also designed to be single-user, the only reason user accounts even exists is because of POSIX compatibility.

Zeta killed off the speed, ease of use and hacked on multi-user bits that the system was never designed to handle. It did some good things as far as keeping it running goes but that's about it.

I'd also avoid using Senryu if you want to get a feel for Haiku since it's pretty bloated and slow. You'd be much better off using the vmware images from haiku-files.org and installing needed software from bebits.com or haikuware.com.

Best of luck :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm 
Donator

Actually, the version to be released after BeOS 5, Dano, was to implement multi-user support. The plan had always been there. You can see how the hacked Dano release called PhosphorOS (or PhOS) was able to get that going. Since Zeta used the same code base as PhOS, I imagine that was why it got Multi-User support.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:27 pm 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
Actually, the version to be released after BeOS 5, Dano, was to implement multi-user support. The plan had always been there. You can see how the hacked Dano release called PhosphorOS (or PhOS) was able to get that going. Since Zeta used the same code base as PhOS, I imagine that was why it got Multi-User support.

The thing is that multi-user was for all intents and purposes a work in progress at that time and not even really functional. Unless you count manually moving around folders for the root user (baron) and renaming yourself to something else you'll be hard pressed to call it multi-user. Be Inc. also had it's infamous focus shift to concentrate all efforts on BeIA before they saw R6 through so it's impossible to draw any conclusions. Sure BeOS had user accounts since get go but that was for POSIX compatibility and not even Dano had proper accounts support. Work had begun on R6 to build on that but afterall it was WIP stuff leaked after Be shut it's doors and for all we know they might've decided it wasn't working and scrapped it all together.

Zeta has no real multiuser (with permissions) and neither did Dano, they have illusions of accounts similar to Windows 98 but that's about it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:10 am 
FTP Access

I have Zeta and couldn't get the internet working. It saw my network card but still didn't work. Does anyone know how to configure it?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:19 pm 
Donator

ddew wrote:
The thing is that multi-user was for all intents and purposes a work in progress at that time and not even really functional. Unless you count manually moving around folders for the root user (baron) and renaming yourself to something else you'll be hard pressed to call it multi-user. Be Inc. also had it's infamous focus shift to concentrate all efforts on BeIA before they saw R6 through so it's impossible to draw any conclusions. Sure BeOS had user accounts since get go but that was for POSIX compatibility and not even Dano had proper accounts support. Work had begun on R6 to build on that but afterall it was WIP stuff leaked after Be shut it's doors and for all we know they might've decided it wasn't working and scrapped it all together.

Zeta has no real multiuser (with permissions) and neither did Dano, they have illusions of accounts similar to Windows 98 but that's about it.

Yes, it did. Processes were owned by the user which launched them. home pointed to the appropriate place. Process segregation and permissions were there just fine... as in, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a process from one user to read/write to the address space of a process from another user.

I have absolutely no clue what else you would need to consider something "real multiuser". It was simply tracker that was multiuser retarded.

Feel free to talk to mmu_man on #haiku on irc.freenode.net. He was one of the Zeta developers. Actually there are a few of them in there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:27 am 
FTP Access

Rented how did you get internet working?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:08 am 
Donator

dirtwarrior: What network card do you have?

One of the unfortunate things about Zeta was that Bernd cherry picked a lot of things from Haiku, but they didnt always work. This is especially true with drivers.

Best option is to go to bebits and see if there is a better driver.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:08 am 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
ddew wrote:

Yes, it did. Processes were owned by the user which launched them. home pointed to the appropriate place. Process segregation and permissions were there just fine... as in, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a process from one user to read/write to the address space of a process from another user.

I have absolutely no clue what else you would need to consider something "real multiuser". It was simply tracker that was multiuser retarded.

Feel free to talk to mmu_man on #haiku on irc.freenode.net. He was one of the Zeta developers. Actually there are a few of them in there.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with that channel. Been hanging out there the past few years. Wonderful project with great people, had many discussions about user accounts support with them. :)

Anyways, obviously we disagree on what constitutes real multiuser. Address space et al are part of the POSIX standard so that's a pretty given feature to support for a POSIX-compatible system. That doesn't make a system proper multi-user with multiple usable accounts. Fact remains that Zeta 1.21 and 1.5's support for that is a hack, dano doesn't have it and neither does R5. The way the OS is laid out makes adding support for different users tricky and there's little, if any, evidence that Be where doing that in Dano.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:12 am 
Donator

So if it is a posix implementation, it is a hack? Linux pre-2.4 (No ACL's) is a hack?

Flat out, give me SOMETHING that is missing that constitutes a "real" multiuser system. A real example. And give me an example that makes BeOS inherent multiuser abilities (NOT tracker) a "hack".

Else, I will not be able to have a proper, civil conversation/debate about it. Right now, it is all smoke.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:36 am 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
Flat out, give me SOMETHING that is missing that constitutes a "real" multiuser system. A real example. And give me an example that makes BeOS inherent multiuser abilities (NOT tracker) a "hack".

Like I said, BeOS handles multiple accounts as far as POSIX goes but the OS itself doesn't have any real provisions for it. Permissions aren't fully implemented, many apps ignore them. Appserver and the various kits aren't designed for more than one user at a time. There are other things too but those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head, I'm digging up my BeOS system later so I'm sure I'll think of more.

Edit: Having the system bootscript placing stuff in $HOME is also an indication.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] BeOS Install ISO/CD        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:29 pm 
FTP Access

RentedMule wrote:
dirtwarrior: What network card do you have?

One of the unfortunate things about Zeta was that Bernd cherry picked a lot of things from Haiku, but they didnt always work. This is especially true with drivers.

Best option is to go to bebits and see if there is a better driver.

I got the SID 900 Fast Ethernet
I tried automatic, then I tried manuel and entered my info nothing worked. I would use it as my main OS if I can get internet to work.

Top  Profile  YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next