BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 0h, 41m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 2764MB of 4653MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: [REQUEST] Windows Longhorn Build(s)        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6.3 :D
Hello,
Does anyone have a windows longhorn build 5048 or 5060, and also build 5112?

If you have a copy of any of these listed that I could download please using http or public ftp, (no bt), please reply or PM Me.

Thanks, :D
ajdesign419

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:55 am 
FTP Access

These builds are from after the Longhorn development reset.

Builds 5048 and 5112 are on the BA server, and I don't think 5060 leaked. If you have access to the BA server, you can get them from there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
lucas93 wrote:
These build are from after the Vista reset.

Builds 5048 and 5112 are on the BA server, and I don't think 5060 leaked. If you have access to the BA server, you can get them from there.

I do not currently have access, thus this is why I posted :(

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQUEST] Windows Longhorn Build(s)        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
ajdesign419 wrote:
Hello,
Does anyone have a windows longhorn build 5048 or 5060

Sadly, 5048 is the only 50xx builds that are leaked to the internet. And if you don't have access yet, go the join the group! If you have, then you'll need to wait...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:12 am 
Donator

you have 58 post so im sure you have at least 10 good ones are you currently waiting for access?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:20 am 
Donator

5060 is an unleaked build, and theres no point requesting an unleaked build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQUEST] Windows Longhorn Build(s)        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Thlump wrote:
ajdesign419 wrote:
Hello,
Does anyone have a windows longhorn build 5048 or 5060

Sadly, 5048 is the only 50xx builds that are leaked to the internet. And if you don't have access yet, go the join the group! If you have, then you'll need to wait...

Yes, I requested to join the group last around tuesday :), but Andy has been very busy so
I'm giving him some time...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Hmmmmm, if I had the time, I would use KGB Archiver to compress the Longhorn and Vista Builds down to 4-7MB each.

Maybe this is something that BA could maybe do in the future to save on BW costs and BW Congestion.

I know this doesn't help you, but when I see that people request a HTTP link for a large build, it would be good to hand them a 4-7MB Download that expands to the full xGB ISO.

It takes several hours to expand the archive, but still good for people who don't want to blast there BW limits or because of speed/time constrictions.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Alexsis wrote:
Hmmmmm, if I had the time, I would use KGB Archiver to compress the Longhorn and Vista Builds down to 4-7MB each.

Maybe this is something that BA could maybe do in the future to save on BW costs and BW Congestion.

I know this doesn't help you, but when I see that people request a HTTP link for a large build, it would be good to hand them a 4-7MB Download that expands to the full xGB ISO.

It takes several hours to expand the archive, but still good for people who don't want to blast there BW limits or because of speed/time constrictions.

I don't think you could compress them that low/ :|

710MB to 7MB seems [is] impossible especially if it is a os with 100's of files.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
You can, and it works perfectly fine.

Example: http://www.aioforum.com/windows_vista_stuff/47616-vista_office_2007_compressed_4mb.html

It's also the way I got my Vista SP1 Copy, read up a little on what KGB Archiver can do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:02 am 
Donator

im highly doubting it would go anywhere near 7mb for a 3gb iso...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:04 am 
Donator

Heh, I've never used it myself, but I've read alot of good things about KGB Archiver.
So it takes several hours to expand, how long does it take to compress?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
zamadatix wrote:
im highly doubting it would go anywhere near 7mb for a 3gb iso...

And I highly doubt that you even bothered to go and have a little search and see what the Compression Algorithm can do, so don't doubt before you even bother to research.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 am 
Donator

i use it sometimes (my hard drive is small for large amounts of beta's and i have a spare computer for the time it takes) and it takes slightly longer to decompress than to compress, i would imagine the iso's being more like 100mb though but i dont have my other computer right now. (of course i try to keep them small to begin with never done it with 3gb)

edit: arnt the files in the iso already compressed with the cab compression so it would be hardly at all effective compared to its normal results? (guess ill have to just try and see when i get the time)

edit2: i dont need to search if i already use the program :P, besides even for jsut plain text the site only says 7.6% and its the lowest of all the official kgb test examples so there's no way in heck it would go lower than text so its at least 210 mb even if all the data isnt already compressed which i doubt since it comes out much larger.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Always newest but not this time
Alexsis wrote:

few month's ago i downloaded a os which is compressed by KGB but after extract it is not usable

for vista builds 5048 & 5112 try that on torrent search

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:16 am 
Donator

jaidev66 wrote:
few month's ago i downloaded a os which is compressed by KGB but after extract it is not usable

That wouldn't happen to be that "2MB Longhorn" that is circulating the net would it?
It wasn't a problem with compression, the file was simply a fake peice of crap.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:19 am 
Donator

Last time when I download Office 2007 which is 4mb compressed using KGB, the file loses it's digital signature...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:58 am 
FTP Access

Alexsis wrote:
You can, and it works perfectly fine.

Example: http://www.THISISNOTAWAREZLINK.com/MODSPLEASEDELETE/IHAVEFORGOTTENTHERULES.html

It's also the way I got my Vista SP1 Copy, read up a little on what KGB Archiver can do.

here comes the mod stick Alexis watch out!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm 
Donator

err your... warez... link is a copy of something only a few hundred mb large not closer to 3gb... im sticking with my 75mb guess.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:47 pm 
Administrator

I tried this KGB archiver and I wasn't very impressed. Since we deal with betas here I unpacked three different Windows releases of various sizes (300MB, 600MB, 4000MB) and compressed them with both KGB Archiver and 7-zip. I also compared the sizes to the RAR archives I already got.

All and all KGB does compress better. But only very little. The 300MB archive I had shrunk to 219MB with KGB and 222MB with 7zip. Original RAR:s were 228MB.

With the 600MB archive KGB ran down to 412MB, 7zip 420MB and RAR 433MB.

With the 4000MB archive KGB went down to 2900MB, 7zip 2970MB and RAR 2990MB.

You may think it does save you space, but it sure doesn't save you time. The 300MB archive took about 10 minutes with 7zip, but almost an hour (!) with KGB! Clearly that Office thing is a scam. It's easy to pad an ISO and say that it compresses a lot, but you need to compare it to other formats for a proper result.

And in the end you should use formats that aren't one of those "popular for an hour" formats. RAR is fine since it's an established format, and 7zip isn't as established, but it sure is known. And in the end it will make your friends mad for using exotic formats, all to save a few MB.

Perhaps KGB is better at compressing some file formats than others, but for regular ISO:s with mixed content it's not much better than the stuff that is already common.

But perhaps I am missing something?

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
mrpijey wrote:
I tried this KGB archiver and I wasn't very impressed. Since we deal with betas here I unpacked three different Windows releases of various sizes (300MB, 600MB, 4000MB) and compressed them with both KGB Archiver and 7-zip. I also compared the sizes to the RAR archives I already got.

All and all KGB does compress better. But only very little. The 300MB archive I had shrunk to 219MB with KGB and 222MB with 7zip. Original RAR:s were 228MB.

With the 600MB archive KGB ran down to 412MB, 7zip 420MB and RAR 433MB.

With the 4000MB archive KGB went down to 2900MB, 7zip 2970MB and RAR 2990MB.

You may think it does save you space, but it sure doesn't save you time. The 300MB archive took about 10 minutes with 7zip, but almost an hour (!) with KGB! Clearly that Office thing is a scam. It's easy to pad an ISO and say that it compresses a lot, but you need to compare it to other formats for a proper result.

And in the end you should use formats that aren't one of those "popular for an hour" formats. RAR is fine since it's an established format, and 7zip isn't as established, but it sure is known. And in the end it will make your friends mad for using exotic formats, all to save a few MB.

Perhaps KGB is better at compressing some file formats than others, but for regular ISO:s with mixed content it's not much better than the stuff that is already common.

But perhaps I am missing something?

These tests are about the same as the test at the homepage of it:
http://kgbarchiver.net/?page=tests

Just a bit better then the other ones.
But those Windows and Office to 4MB or even Windows Vista to 1.44MB are just fakes, much of it is just plain text.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:33 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I packed about 30MB of mp3 files with that KGB archiever once. I'm not sure which options were available,
but I've chosen the best compression method and it took me more than one hour to compress the files...

In the end the archive was 24MB big, a reduction of 6MB in ~75 minutes...
Mabye I did something wrong but from what I have seen that KGB archiver is just a waste of time...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:41 pm 
Donator

so far everyone here has been compressing something that already came compressed (mp3 or files inside hte ms cd which are compressed with cab) when you can just look at the test page they kgb provides to see the answer... (it claims FAR less than what those who say its amazing do) test page

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:26 am 
Administrator

Yes, however using material that is more easily able to compress makes it also easier for the other applications to compress it. And from the tests I've done I can't really justify a compression time that is far beyond 200-500% above say 7z or RAR just to gain a few percent more compression. Especially not with an exotic format that doesn't have any real widespread support. Who would want to store text for example in some foreign format if everyone is using txt, odf, doc and pdf? Once KGB becomes better and (much) faster it might sway people to use it more and abandon the old format (like people abandoned LHA, ARJ etc long time ago), but for the moment KGB doesn't have any real benefits except that it's free and open.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
zamadatix wrote:
i use it sometimes (my hard drive is small for large amounts of beta's and i have a spare computer for the time it takes) and it takes slightly longer to decompress than to compress, i would imagine the iso's being more like 100mb though but i dont have my other computer right now. (of course i try to keep them small to begin with never done it with 3gb)

edit: arnt the files in the iso already compressed with the cab compression so it would be hardly at all effective compared to its normal results? (guess ill have to just try and see when i get the time)

edit2: i dont need to search if i already use the program :P, besides even for jsut plain text the site only says 7.6% and its the lowest of all the official kgb test examples so there's no way in heck it would go lower than text so its at least 210 mb even if all the data isnt already compressed which i doubt since it comes out much larger.

I compressed 3GB down to like 9MB using KGB, only problem is it took at least 8 to 10 hours to decompress it.

Top  Profile