[OFFER] Copland Developer Builds

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
mulholland
Donator

[OFFER] Copland Developer Builds

Post by mulholland »

I have two old developer builds of Copland laying around. If anybody wants to get their hands on them, I can upload them to the BA server.

Fair warning: you'll need some select legacy Apple hardware to test this out (two machines are necessary for one of the builds), and a reasonable understanding of legacy Mac OS's inner workings. (You can forget about running this under an emulator.)

st.alfonzo
Donator

Hmm

Post by st.alfonzo »

I guess I could give it a try.

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

I don't really see the sense of those [offer] threads.. Just upload it. I am sure that there are ppl who wnat it.

mulholland
Donator

Post by mulholland »

This is now uploaded to the BA server.

Ludacris wrote:I don't really see the sense of those [offer] threads.. Just upload it. I am sure that there are ppl who wnat it.
The point of these offer threads is that some people don't want to take the time to dig out and upload something that no one has any interest in. I know that the interest in Apple software/hardware is limited here, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting time and bandwidth.

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

Personally, I believe that the interest of Apple / Macintosh products and software is increasing more and more due the fact that the computers run on Intel Core Duo 2 processors and more people are switching simply because they find Vista too hard or slow to use, and the freedom to run both on their computers. In a way, I have to agree with the motion that Vista is a little annoying at times, just like Mac OS X is, but I love that freedom.

Regardless, I'm truly interested in the Copland Developer builds and am glad you took the time to upload them. Thanks!
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

rawr
FTP Access

Post by rawr »

Ditto... and if anybody has any of Taligent's products (TalOS/TalAE/TalIDE/CommonPoint/Places for Project Teams), or AOCE (Apple Open Collaboration Environment)'s PowerShare server, don't be shy

These are things I've only ever been able to read about, and even if it's a pain (or impossible) to get them running, just having the documents/binaries can be an amazing source of information and fascination for an enthusiast.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

I'd be happy about those Coplands. I am not sure if they may be the same I already got on my server, but send them up and we'll see. If not then we'll have more. If it is the same then perhaps you got some extra in yours .
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

Could someone possibly upload screenshots or provide a link to where I could view what was new with Copland from Mac OS 7/8/9? I remember there was a new "Save/Open File" dialog and new themes that later simply became the Platinum theme of Mac OS 9.
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

troyoda1990 wrote:Could someone possibly upload screenshots or provide a link to where I could view what was new with Copland from Mac OS 7/8/9? I remember there was a new "Save/Open File" dialog and new themes that later simply became the Platinum theme of Mac OS 9.
Platinum was one of the new themes, which survived with OS 8's Appearance Manager - Copland also included other themes like Hi-Tech and Gizmo (below) that were not shipped with OS 8/9 but there are versions that can be used with these later OSes (here I am running them on OS 9 in SheepShaver) as Appearance Manager can do a lot more than just the Platinum theme that was included:

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copland_(operating_system) - have a pretty good entry on Copland, including a screenshot of the Open/Save dialog - Copland was much more than new themes and dialogs though, it was meant to be an entirely new OS that replaced the old Classic OS, but it ended up worse than Longhorn and had to be cancelled.