BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 12h, 20m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5540MB of 10962MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: [Offer]Vista Starter        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I'm offering this 'cause it's not on the server and I do not think it's illegal to offer. As soon as I know I'm allowed to offer this, I'll upload it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:53 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Starter RTM is not interesting!
If you have Windows Starter 2007 build 5308 (or just S/N), it will be great!

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Sorry. I only have Retail Vista Starter.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Vista Starter is on the ''main'' Vista DVD...

If you have starter you have:

- Starter
- Home Basic (N)
- Home Premium
- Business (N)
- Ultimate

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I don't have the all in one DVD but I bought a Windows Vista Starter (the packaging is like the Windows Home Server Evaluation and Vista Enterprise) from Britain from an "unknown market ". It is the original Vista Starter and I made it into a bootable ISO.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:35 pm 
FTP Access

Sounds like you were done then, paying money for a pirated copy of a badly crippled OS like Starter Edition - all genuine Vista DVDs (and the images of them that can be downloaded for free from torrents or the FTP server) come with Starter on them anyway and don't need messing around with to make them bootable etc and warez should certainly never be paid for, downloading for free is one thing but paying someone other than MS for it rips off Microsoft's hard work and often funds crime. By the way, Vista Enterprise doesn't have packaging as you can't (legally) buy it, it only goes to subscribers to Microsoft Volume Licensing, who get it electronically or on discs that don't have any specific packaging.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Sounds like you were done then, paying money for a pirated copy of a badly crippled OS like Starter Edition - all genuine Vista DVDs (and the images of them that can be downloaded for free from torrents or the FTP server) come with Starter on them anyway and don't need messing around with to make them bootable etc and warez should certainly never be paid for, downloading for free is one thing but paying someone other than MS for it rips off Microsoft's hard work and often funds crime. By the way, Vista Enterprise doesn't have packaging as you can't (legally) buy it, it only goes to subscribers to Microsoft Volume Licensing, who get it electronically or on discs that don't have any specific packaging.

You hit it right on the head. Every version of Windows since Windows NT 4.0 has been distributed on a bootable CD (or floppy) :P . The only exception is some of the betas and most of the upgrade versions. But even now, the upgrade editions of Windows are bootable. I don't think Microsoft would ever release a non-bootable version of Windows, ESPECIALLY Vista. Correct me if I'm wrong however.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
If you had to use a boot floppy to install Vista, I don't think your PC would be able to run Vista :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Bender wrote:
If you had to use a boot floppy to install Vista, I don't think your PC would be able to run Vista :D

Good Lord...imagine the amount of floppies it would take to install Vista?

Around 3000 I think.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:19 pm 
FTP Access

If your PC could use a boot floppy it's unlikely it can run Vista! :P (OEM PCs at least as they never bother to ship them with floppies nowadays to save a few quid; homebrew PCs tend to still have them)

It would be more like just under 2,000 floppies I reckon as Vista is about 2.5 GB, though they always used to strip out stuff like a lot of the sounds and cursors from the older version that were distributed on floppy eg 98 SE (the last one that had a floppy option) was smaller on floppy than on CD and lacked that all the themes and everything. Stripping out the sounds etc from Vista wouldn't have such a proportionately large impact on the size though given that the OS itself is so much larger though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:09 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
If your PC could use a boot floppy it's unlikely it can run Vista! :P (OEM PCs at least as they never bother to ship them with floppies nowadays to save a few quid; homebrew PCs tend to still have them)

It would be more like just under 2,000 floppies I reckon as Vista is about 2.5 GB, though they always used to strip out stuff like a lot of the sounds and cursors from the older version that were distributed on floppy eg 98 SE (the last one that had a floppy option) was smaller on floppy than on CD and lacked that all the themes and everything. Stripping out the sounds etc from Vista wouldn't have such a proportionately large impact on the size though given that the OS itself is so much larger though.

And how many diskettes did 98 se had????
I don't want to imagine the box
and the whole floppy set, hahahah setting up and after three hours within the last floppy you get a "Media is damaged, setup can't continue" message
hhahaha
suicide!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Chicago wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

And how many diskettes did 98 se had????
I don't want to imagine the box
and the whole floppy set, hahahah setting up and after three hours within the last floppy you get a "Media is damaged, setup can't continue" message
hhahaha
suicide!

Wasn't it 63 floppies for Windows 98 SE?

Also, I'm referring to the AIO build of Vista...my mistake, so it would be around 2000 floppies (Unless extra stuff was stripped), in which there would still be alot left....around 750 maybe? Either way, too many to deal with. GO FLOPPIES!!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:23 am 
Donator

It would be cool if Microsoft releasaed a Vista FLP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:20 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Then how would hardware manufactures make money...
FLP was largely released because Microsoft made a mistake in their Software Assurance program.

As a Microsoft sale's rep told me (I asked him today..), they were expecting CPU speeds to grow at the same rate as in the 1998-2000 period when they were selling the SA program. Thus, they hoped that with fast CPU growth the new systems (circa 2002) supported by SA would be much faster and support their new planned security features. To their chagrin those systems were not as fast as MS had hoped, and they needed a fix.

Internet bubble in the 1999 years greatly contributed to this because MS was selling SA without enough care. They offered the program for many systems that were outdated at the time of their purchase.

Secondly, many at Microsoft sincerely believed Longhorn would be released at the time of XP Sp2 and people would buy the new systems. With more new systems out they would have less justification to support older hardware.

Ultimately we have FLP because...
    Slow CPU growth
    Reckless licensing
    Delays in longhorn/vista

To a large extent Windows FLP serves as a the fundamental assurance for networks migrating towards Vista by offering those basic security services. I also asked the MS rep if he knew about any plans to make Vista FLP - he said he hadn't heard any...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:34 pm 
FTP Access

I would love to see a Vista FLP. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:31 am 
Vista starter is for non English locations isn't it?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
superleeds27 wrote:
Yup. Its a basic version for developing countries. I think its got a limit on how many programs you can run, screen resolution, hard disk space., etc, atleast thats how it worked on XP Starter...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:12 pm 
Donator

superleeds27 wrote:

No. That is absolutely untrue (sorry if this sounds harsh ;)) but austria, e.g. is an non english country and we dont have it. It is only for development countrys where much piracy is done and for the 100$ laptop programm. altough you can also get it via technet.

Top  Profile  WWW