Hypertext/web browser for Windows 3.0?

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
Tootles
Donator

Hypertext/web browser for Windows 3.0?

Post by Tootles »

Is there such a thing? It would be cool to look at .
Have a day.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

what about netscape navigator 4.8 , do a searcjh on google for a download link.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

betaluva wrote:what about netscape navigator 4.8 , do a searcjh on google for a download link.
Did you read the title of the topic? He's asking for a Web Browser for Windows 3.0, NOT 3.1. And besides, I'm not sure if Netscape Navigator 4.8 will even work with Windows 3.1.

Anyway, Mosiac might work, however, I don't know much about it.

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

"Requires a newer version of Windows..." I think Mosaic was the earliest Windows browser, too, wasn't it?

How about writing a simple HTML rendering engine for Windows 3, using VB or something like that?
Have a day.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

marktuson wrote:"Requires a newer version of Windows..." I think Mosaic was the earliest Windows browser, too, wasn't it?

How about writing a simple HTML rendering engine for Windows 3, using VB or something like that?
Before you decide that NCSA Mosiac is incompatible with Windows 3.0, are you sure it's NCSA Mosiac or Mosiac Netscape? Also, you could try replacing some files in Windows 3.0 with files from Windows 3.1. If you want to do this, add/replace the files listed below:
GDI.EXE
USER.EXE
SHELL.DLL
VER.DLL

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I think I'm capable of distinguishing between two things that don't even vaguely look similar.
Have a day.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

@winpc, sorry i musnt be a windows 3 guru like you.

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

marktuson wrote:"Requires a newer version of Windows..." I think Mosaic was the earliest Windows browser, too, wasn't it?

Ok, firstly, Even if you used VB, it would be VB3, which is more or less just a binary script... no support for activex controls. Secondly, whipping up a "simple" rendering engine can take months. If you ever seen a VB app do it, it is because they are embedding another browser.

hypr
Donator

Post by hypr »

I seen older browsers work with 3.1, you may hafta go down to 3.0 or 2.0 of Netscape or IE

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

hypr wrote:I seen older browsers work with 3.1, you may hafta go down to 3.0 or 2.0 of Netscape or IE
Again, he's talking about Windows 3.0, NOT Windows 3.1.

milatchi
Donator

Post by milatchi »

The Mosaic history page doesn't specifically say anything about the requirements for the pre 2.x versions of the browser. So your best bet might be to try one of the first three versions (0.6, 0.7, 1.0) listed on this page.

*EDIT
marktuson wrote:"Requires a newer version of Windows..." I think Mosaic

Didn't see this initially.
But if you didn't find or try the pre 2.x versions then try the above link.
IRIX enthusiast | OSBA refugee