BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 49d, 2h, 59m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 6168MB of 11135MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: [REQ] - Windows Chicago Build 15b        Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:01 pm 
FTP Access

Does someone have the following:

Windows Chicago Build 15b

Thank you,
dexter152

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Unfortunately, no one has it. However, Cougar Build 28 is going to leak soon, and it's a lot more primitive than even Chicago Build 15b, and it even has the Program Manager shell. The version number is 3.20.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:25 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Chicago build 15 is a fake I think. (Please do not start another war because of this post)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:16 am 
FTP Access

WinPC wrote:
Unfortunately, no one has it. However, Cougar Build 28 is going to leak soon, and it's a lot more primitive than even Chicago Build 15b, and it even has the Program Manager shell. The version number is 3.20.

How can we define soon?? :o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
I heard that it's going to be leaked this week on Release-a-fortnight. Although I'm not a member, I looked at the Winhistory forums and I saw someone say that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:28 am 
FTP Access

OMG!!!
That'd be amazing!!
I've casually got a laptop with 20 mhz and 120 mb hdd.
She's waiting for it! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:09 am 
WinPC wrote:
I heard that it's going to be leaked this week on Release-a-fortnight. Although I'm not a member, I looked at the Winhistory forums and I saw someone say that.

I just read there that it was mostly made up of WFW 3.1, with some other
Windows 3x files used, basically making it a rebranded windows 3.1
build, is that true, or just someones assumptions.
Ive never heard of windows cougar before that post there on winhistory.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:58 pm 
Donator

From a PM:

Quote:
Well, I'd send you the thing, but unfortunately, I don't have it, either. Only my Japanese friend, the RingMan, currently has it, well, and the friend of his, that gave it to him. But, as I've already said, as soon, as I get it, I'm going to leak it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:07 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
WinPC wrote:

Unfortunately I can say this is not true. This weeks release-a-week files have already been chosen and its not what you ask for.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:13 pm 
FTP Access

is it on any future list?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:14 pm 
Finally have got my hijacked account back, thanks to KenOath and Andy. :)

I had the chance to have a look at the supposed build 28 of Cougar already, and it doesn't seem to be authentic. I've posted all my finds at the winhistory forums, and there're many. Not going to repeat them all, but probably the most serious proof for it being a fake is that it uses the kernel from Windows for Workgroups 3.11. If it was going to be the next major release of Windows, why would it dub itself "Windows for Workgroups 3.11" in the kernel? WfW 3.11 was only a small update to WfW 3.10, and the apparent build date of that Cougar version is March 1993 -- WfW 3.11 didn't even exist at that time (it should take another 6 months for it to see the light of day). There's no 32-bit protected-mode MS-DOS kernel either, but that is what code-name "Cougar" actually was.

The whole story of how that build was found doesn't make sense either. They told about fixes they had to do because the pre-owner added device drivers from 58s (trying to add drivers that can't work and not keeping an unmodified copy?!?), but all files look perfectly clean as if they were never touched. Too clean for a beta anyway, seeing the mess of later Chicago betas.

Whatever, in my opinion, it's a hoax. Of course, there's still a very small chance that it is real, but I highly doubt it. After all, there's not a single feature that is has over WfW 3.x.