[OFFER] Windows 1.0 and MS-DOS 3.10 for DEC VAXMate

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
Overdoze
FTP Access

[OFFER] Windows 1.0 and MS-DOS 3.10 for DEC VAXMate

Post by Overdoze »

Today I came across this blog by someone named Malcolm Macleod. He was kind enough to image and upload his software for the DEC VAXMate computer, including two versions of MS-DOS 3.10 (3.10.028c and 3.10.034) and Windows 1.0 (1.01.11 and 1.03.08).

The VAXMate was DEC's first fully PC-compatible machine and a successor to their previous x86 based but not PC-compatible machine, the Rainbow 100. We do have a copy of Windows 1.0 for that machine as well, but as it turns out, it's a post-install folder dump and mixed together with a VAXMate release, and thus pretty much unusable. To make things more complicated, the Rainbow used a rare floppy disk drive and a format of 400kB in size that's difficult to read and create on a PC. We may obtain a more proper copy in the future, however.

Since the VAXMate is pretty much an AT clone, you can run this in 86box with an AT config without any issues. It's worth noting that DEC made significant changes to setup's internals and file layout on the installation disks. I have uploaded the four releases to the FTP, as well as on my MEGA account so anyone who's interested can try it out right away.

MS-DOS 3.10.028c (October 1986)
MS-DOS 3.10.034 (January 1987)
Windows 1.01.11 (July 1986)
Windows 1.03.08 (January 1987)

The logo is animated btw, the white squares appear in order from left to right one by one. Also, while setup says this is version 1.03.08, the bootscreen says it's 1.03.04 as you can see. Apparently they forgot to update the bootscreen since that revision, which I hope we find someday as well. 1.01.11 has the same bootscreen, just different version string.
Last edited by Overdoze on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

johnlemon647

Re: [OFFER] Windows 1.0 and MS-DOS 3.10 for DEC VAXMate

Post by johnlemon647 »

Nice Windows 1.01 finds.

TinaMeineKatze
FTP Access

Post by TinaMeineKatze »

It's really interesting to see new versions of this turning up from somewhere. I have never even heard of these versions.

Are there any differences? Has anyone got it installed by now and could post some screenshots?

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

The OS itself is visually the same (except for some branding in setup and the bootscreen), the main difference is in included drivers (for VAXmate's hardware) and the setup procedure. Since the VAXmate shipped without a hard drive, the default installation method is floppy install to A:\Windows, but you can still change the path to install on a hard drive. The file layout on the floppy disks is pretty different too, and some extra DEC apps are included.

That's about as much as I can say. You can run this on a regular AT-compatible just as easily, in which case I recommend using 86box.

EDIT: I also just noticed that 1.01.11 has a slightly different bootscreen; it says "MS-Windows for VAXmate" instead of just "MS-Windows".

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

Microsoft Windows 1.03.04 MS-DOS Executive and DEC Windows apps.

TinaMeineKatze
FTP Access

Post by TinaMeineKatze »

Thanks.

Why is there an extra version number, and ? I don't really see the system anymore. Did they take the 1.03 code and recompiled it four times for digital?

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

TinaMeineKatze wrote:Why is there an extra version number, and ? I don't really see the system anymore. Did they take the 1.03 code and recompiled it four times for digital?
OEMs compiled Windows for their machines, not Microsoft (same as with MS-DOS). And they often added or changed the version string to reflect their revisions/releases of the product, examples include HP (A.01.03 for their Vectra and 105 releases), DEC (1.03.08 and 1.01.11 for their VAXmate releases), Tulip (TC-1.03 for their Dutch, French and German releases) and Zenith (1.AX on their Z-100 release). Since they often made bugfixes or other changes and additions to the software they used and bundled that with later shipments of their hardware (or even offered as paid updates to the existing customers), they had to keep a track of these changes.

So essentially you are correct. As said, early MS-DOS (before version 5.0 or so) was a simmilar case. Later on when proprietary platforms largely died out and most machines were PC/AT-compatible (in early 90s), the need for OEMs to make such large scale changes to the OS was gone and they mostly focused on providing drivers (if necessary) and various extras.

TinaMeineKatze
FTP Access

Post by TinaMeineKatze »

Overdoze wrote: OEMs compiled Windows for their machines, not Microsoft (same as with MS-DOS). And they often added or changed the version string to reflect their revisions/releases of the product, examples include HP (A.01.03 for their Vectra and 105 releases), DEC (1.03.08 and 1.01.11 for their VAXmate releases), Tulip (TC-1.03 for their Dutch, French and German releases) and Zenith (1.AX on their Z-100 release). Since they often made bugfixes or other changes and additions to the software they used and bundled that with later shipments of their hardware (or even offered as paid updates to the existing customers), they had to keep a track of these changes.

So essentially you are correct. As said, early MS-DOS (before version 5.0 or so) was a simmilar case. Later on when proprietary platforms largely died out and most machines were PC/AT-compatible (in early 90s), the need for OEMs to make such large scale changes to the OS was gone and they mostly focused on providing drivers (if necessary) and various extras.
Cool, I didn't know that. So, there might even be a chance of source codes that leak of those early versions? I mean, OEMs did need the source code for that kind of recompile. And there might be a floppy lurking somewhere with some code... :cool:

tristanleboss
FTP Access

Post by tristanleboss »

TinaMeineKatze wrote:Cool, I didn't know that. So, there might even be a chance of source codes that leak of those early versions? I mean, OEMs did need the source code for that kind of recompile. And there might be a floppy lurking somewhere with some code... :cool:
Archival/Preservation is not part of most companies culture. The problem is that company tend to quickly trash/reuse unneeded stuffs. When they don't, they lost track of stuffs because people who used/stored them end up leaving the company one day or another. Don't forget that storage has a cost.

Unfortunately, this is also true for individuals. I have a friend working in a recycling center which collect individuals, stores and companies waste: everyday, he sees things that can be sold, reused or interest some collectors/archivists. And, he can't see eveything and is not aware/knowledgeable on everything. Unfortunately, he can't grab anything because of policy rules of these recycling centers.

For something to come to us, 2 things should happen:

- Someone kept and stored it
- Someone being aware of its value for someone else

You also need to take into account that this 2 points may be true at some point but not at another one. Many people who die, fail to transfert the things they have along with their value. Same thing happen for a company if it goes bankrupt, is bought by another company, ...

In France, each year some people rediscover a big old car collections. Unfortunately, each time it was abandonned for years and the cars are in bad condition. Luckily, everyone knows an old card has some value. Not sure people do for software ;)

How many time people opened a box, discovered things and directly dumped them because they didn't know what they had in front of them or because they assumed it was worthless.

In France, they did something cool for the 100 years of the first world war: they made a lot of publicity for archival/preservation of world war artifacts. People were incitated to bring or send their belongings to museums or national archives. The same should be done for software... the problem is that collecting, sorting, cataloguing takes both time and money. It also doesn't really provide money. Ask mrpijey.

Meow_2004
FTP Access

Post by Meow_2004 »

When were both the Windows version released?
-Meow_2004

------------------------------
PC Specs:

Dell XPS 630i
Intel Core 2 Quad (2.4 GHz)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
1 TB HDD
Windows 10