(Coming Soon) Windows 95 Build 420, 98 build 1633, and more

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
marcoguy
Donator

(Coming Soon) Windows 95 Build 420, 98 build 1633, and more

Post by marcoguy »

I've recently found some new goodies, and thought I'd make a post about it before I receive and upload them. In chronological order, this is what I will be receiving (all on original Microsoft media):

Windows 95 interim build 420 (on a Microsoft CD-R)
Windows 98 interim build 1581
Windows 98 beta 2 build 1602
Windows 98 interim build 1633
Windows 98 beta 3 build 1650
Windows 98 RC0 build 1691
Windows 98 RC1 build 1721.3
Windows 98 RC2 (can't make out the build number from the picture I got)
Windows 98 RC4 build 1900.4

Of these, we already have everything except Win95 build 420, 98 build 1633, and possibly the 98 RC2 build. I already have in my collection (and have uploaded) Windows 98 builds 1650, 1691, and 1721, so these won't need uploading. I haven't yet decided what to do with my duplicates, but I might auction them off in the off topic section and donate half the proceeds to the site. Everything else we either don't have MDFs and scans of or we don't have at all, so I'll be sending them up as soon as they arrive. If requested, I can also post scans and dumps in this thread once I receive everything, and a few screenshots as well if I have the time. Assuming all these discs have the data intact, I'd say I'm very lucky to have found these, they will make nice additions to both BA and my own collection :)
Preservation
How could you know where you want to go today if you don't even know where you've been?

The Distractor

Re: (Coming Soon) Windows 95 Build 420, 98 build 1633, and m

Post by The Distractor »

4.00.420? please nobody make that joke i know you're all thinking about it

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

what joke?
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

JimOlive
FTP Access
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

betaluva wrote:what joke?
Yeah, what joke?

johnleakedfan
FTP Access

Post by johnleakedfan »

If rc2 is that unknown build, then that stage of Memphis is unleaked, according to TCB, no rc2 builds were leaked
That build number could be from 17xx, 18xx, or 19xx

Also that 1900.4 is also questionable to which rc it is, I assume rc3

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

The Distractor wrote:4.00.420? please nobody make that joke i know you're all thinking about it
Yeah, I chuckled a little when I saw the build number :p
As for the RC2 build, I agree that this is something new. The disc is dated 4/10/98, which makes sense as it's between RC1 build 1721 (3/30) and RC3 (4/24). Also, the RC4 disc is clearly labeled as RC4, but the .4 part of the build number is a bit of a guess, as the image I have is very blurry.
Preservation
How could you know where you want to go today if you don't even know where you've been?

JimOlive
FTP Access
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

Is it this? Just a guess. If not, then what is it?

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

JimOlive wrote:
Yeah, what joke?
Windows 98 RC2 should have a build number of 1723, IIRC.
Offtopic Comment
In India, fraud cases are dealt with under Section 420 of the Indian Law. Thus, '420' is a small nickname for people who cheat.
More commonly, 420 = identifying with cannabis and/or its culture.

Windows OS
FTP Access

Post by Windows OS »

Courage wrote:
Offtopic Comment
In India, fraud cases are dealt with under Section 420 of the Indian Law. Thus, '420' is a small nickname for people who cheat.
More commonly, 420 = identifying with cannabis and/or its culture.
Offtopic Comment
Eh. At least you did not joke about it. ;)
Anyway, nice find, right on time for Windows 95's 20 anniversary (even though most of this find are 98 builds).
Offtopic Comment
100TH POST!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Windows OS on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Offtopic Comment
20th of April (4/20) is a common day for "celebrating cannabis", or if you are like me, who is more interested in history than reckless drug usage, it's also Adolf Hitler's birthday, either of which I hope nobody here celebrates.
Either way, nice to see new builds coming up :)
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

nedvire
FTP Access

Post by nedvire »

JimOlive wrote:Is it this? Just a guess. If not, then what is it?
Offtopic Comment
Good old times...

gus33000
FTP Access
Location: Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Post by gus33000 »

Interestingly, we don't really have the Windows 98 1581 Disc, as the one we got in the beta section of the ftp, comes from the Microsoft Beta Evaluation Program. So even 1581 is a great find!

Edit: We do have the iso that comes apart from the Beta Evaluation program, my mistake. I need to look closely at alt releases.

DiskingRound
FTP Access

Post by DiskingRound »

Thanks allot for sharing these! I haven't been as excited since Windows 3.0 RC6 :D

For Windows 95 build 420, I didn't know of any other builds from the 42x range except 426 and 429. And since neither have been shared yet I just want to give a big thanks for taking your time to buy these discs. :)
And yes, April 20, 1998 was the day that at COMDEX Bill demoed Win98 and it BSOD'd.

For Windows 98 build 1633, I saw this build number on a CD shown in a picture from a Windows 98-related site, and also saw it in an old Win9x build list and even a warez CD list. However now that you have the original disc of it an upload would be amazing :)

And for Windows 98 RC2, the only build I know of is 1723. I don't know where the ".4" in the build number 1723.4 I've seen comes from, so I'll just call it 1723. In any case, we don't have it, so it would be cool for you to upload this :)

And once again, a great thanks goes to you for sharing these builds! :)

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

DiskingRound wrote:And for Windows 98 RC2, the only build I know of is 1723. I don't know where the ".4" in the build number 1723.4 I've seen comes from, so I'll just call it 1723. In any case, we don't have it, so it would be cool for you to upload this :)
1723? What we have is 1721.3, not 1723.3.

And the .3 comes from setuppp.inf

Code: Select all

SubVersionString = ".3 "   ; for final freeze replace w/ " r-#" where # is subversionnumber
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- mrpijey: He is talking about the actual 1723 that he heard of and he clearly said he we don't have it.
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

gus33000, I already have an original copy of build 1581, which is currently on the FTP (MDF + scan) as alt1. However, the artwork of that disc is very different from this one I'll be getting, as I believe that disc wasn't meant for public/tester distribution due to the fact that I got it from an ex-MS employee, and because Windows is abbreviated to "WIN", which I haven't seen on any Microsoft disc distributed to beta testers or to the public. Anyway, because this new build 1581 disc has different artwork and could possibly have slightly different contents, I'll upload it when I get it in the mail. I assume it will be listed as another alt build, unless it's bit for bit identical to one of the releases already on the FTP.

DiskingRound, I'm very glad to have found this build 420 disc. I was hoping to have it in by the 24th for Windows 95's 20th anniversary, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.. Oh well :) Interestingly enough, I found this completely separately from the Windows 98 discs. I just happened to have two unrelated great finds within a few hours of each other :p As for the RC2 disc, I can just barely make out that it might be a 17xx build from the image I have, but as I've said before that image is very blurry. It very well may be 1723, but we won't know for sure until it comes in.

Also, for those who are interested I also have Windows Small Business Server 2003 German RC1 coming in soon. I don't know the build number, but I believe BA currently has an English RC1 build. Whether or not it's the same build, a new language is always nice. It would already be in if it weren't for a long cycle of scheduled redeliveries and me not being able to be home for the mail. Imho, the most annoying part of international shipping is that they always want a signature :p
Preservation

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- marcoguy: Can't you just pick the stuff up directly at the post office? That's what we do here when the delivery can't occur. The postman leaves a written note that either a package or a registered letter arrived, and you just go to the post office with that note and your ID card and pick up the thing.
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

Yeah, I can (and likely will) make a run to the post office to pick up the thing, I've just been busy as hell lately and haven't had the time. I've tried scheduling for them to redeliver when I'm home, but so far I just haven't been home very often. Either way, I'll have it sorted out soon enough and I'll be able to send it up to mrpijey.
Preservation

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

I got some bad news today.. The Windows 98 discs are all mounted in a display frame, which I was aware of when I bought them. However, the guy who sold them to me neglected to tell me until just now that they might be mounted with a "destructive adhesive." He hasn't actually opened it up and checked, but he says that it's very likely. Honestly I hadn't even considered that someone would do this to these discs in an irreversible way. Why they wouldn't just use double sided tape or something of that nature is beyond me, but regardless of their intent this is the situation we're left in. The good news is that the discs themselves shouldn't be damaged beyond repair, just covered in glue. Even if the plastic is lightly damaged, the reflective data should still be intact. This leads me to my question, anyone know how to remove glue from a CD-ROM? I do hope that I can recover the data, otherwise we won't gain all these releases and I'll have a useless display piece.
Preservation

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

It depends on the kind of glue... but if the discs are originals you can most likely remove the glue (if you can remove the discs from the frame in the first place), or at the very best have the discs polished to remove the glue. Acetone-free nail polish could help for example.

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

Well, I just had a nice conversation on the phone with the gentleman who sold these Windows 98 discs, he ended up taking apart the frame to find that the discs are being held by pieces of double sided foam tape. This is good news, as I expect it to be much easier to remove than glue. He also told me that he got these from an MS beta tester. Apparently, there were 31 other Microsoft beta discs the guy had along with this set, but everything except these 8 were destroyed before he got to them... ouch. I'm trying not to let my mind conjure up images of original Neptune discs shattered on the ground :cry:

Well anyway, I'm glad that at least something good will come out of that massacre :P regardless of what was lost, there's still at least two new Windows builds we didn't have before, and all on original media. I guess we're just lucky they didn't decide to dump a bottle of crazy glue on the discs as I was afraid of. I should have them by next week, and the Chicago disc before that :)
Preservation

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Yeah, lucky you managed to save these at least. And it's not the first time either as you've provided tons of original discs to our collection... so as always it's one disc at a time. All you need is patience and some luck... once Windows PE was considered an impossible find... imagine what we might find in the future :).

LoneCrusader
Donator

Post by LoneCrusader »

marcoguy wrote:This leads me to my question, anyone know how to remove glue from a CD-ROM? I do hope that I can recover the data, otherwise we won't gain all these releases and I'll have a useless display piece.
Kerosene is an excellent glue + "sticky gunk" remover, but you have to be careful to use just barely enough to break up the glue and remove it and not get the kerosene all over whatever you're working on or allow it time to soak into anything paper or carboard. I have used it to remove sticker residue from software boxes, DVD cases, and other things.
marcoguy wrote:Apparently, there were 31 other Microsoft beta discs the guy had along with this set, but everything except these 8 were destroyed before he got to them... ouch. I'm trying not to let my mind conjure up images of original Neptune discs shattered on the ground :cry:
I'm picturing more pre-1400 Memphis builds... :cry:
I can only hope they weren't destroyed on purpose and that it couldn't be helped...

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

LoneCrusader wrote:I'm picturing more pre-1400 Memphis builds... :cry:
I can only hope they weren't destroyed on purpose and that it couldn't be helped...
From what I was told, the MS beta tester had moved, and left all these behind because they weren't worth anything to him. His friend (the seller) went to the old house for whatever reason, and found them all. Everything was smashed on the floor except these eight discs, and neither he nor the original owner knew how they got that way. He told me he almost threw these away, and was surprised that anyone would pay more than a couple bucks for them. Just goes to show that one person's trash is another's treasure, I guess. It's funny you mention pre-1400 Memphis, I will never forget the time I found a pristine pre-1400 (Sept 96 IIRC) Memphis disc on Ebay for $5, only to find out that I was accidentally looking in the sold listings section.. That was just torturous :cry:
Preservation

LoneCrusader
Donator

Post by LoneCrusader »

I can only imagine... I've not had much luck turning up 9x Beta discs on eBay. A year or so ago I did win a disc with a later build of 98, somewhere in the 16xx range I believe, but it was identical to one already on the FTP.
Without delving into the reasons and sidetracking the thread, I am very, very interested in any new Memphis build that would fall between 1387 and 1400 especially, and anywhere up to 1423 or so is still valuable. I love them all, but the transition builds from 95 OSR2.5 4.03.1214 to say, 4.10.1500 are my favorites.

If, in your searches, you happen to come across the disc mentioned here, do let me know. It's not a "Beta" per se, but it contains a "Beta DDK" for early Memphis. I'd pay a good price for it. :D