BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 19h, 32m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 6043MB of 10995MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: [req] iMac G3 Restore Discs (Mac OS 9.2.x)        Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:15 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Hey, my old iMac G3 is malfunctioning, my Panther system is kernel panicking when i go into Safari, and crashes every once in awhile, can someone get me OS 9.2.x?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:08 pm 
Donator

Mac OS 9 is on the SillyProject FTP but otherwise I think your stuck. My iMac G3 didn't come with restore disks except I used my work's PowerBook G4 restore disks to install Panther.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:18 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
is it a OS 9.2.2 that can be booted from because i get: this startup disk works on the original media. on all my others.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:55 am 
Donator

Sorry for the bump but this is useful information.

Mac OS 9 on SillyProject installs Mac OS 9.1. Burn using Nero and insert into Mac and hold down the C button down while the screen is still black. After a while you will hear you CD drive begin to spin. Once a Happy Mac appears, release the C button. Your Mac will start booting from CD. I've tested this copy of Mac OS 9 on my iMac and it works.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:28 am 
Donator

Not all macs will boot from 9/9.0.4... WildEye afaik has a 500Mhz iMac that only boots from 9.2.2... my grandmothers iMac I bought her for christmas (400mhz) wont boot from 9.0.4 but my iMac G3 266mhz will

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:31 am 
Donator

My 400MHz will boot to 9.1 (SillyProject Version). I installed about an hour ago so that I could use Classic. Do you mean that the faster the processor is, the newer the OS has to be?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:45 am 
Donator

Yup, and the newer the Mac. Intel macs wont boot anything under 10.4. Maybe I should also add the 400mhz iMac my grandmother has is the DV model..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:07 am 
FTP Access

mdogg wrote:
My 400MHz will boot to 9.1 (SillyProject Version). I installed about an hour ago so that I could use Classic. Do you mean that the faster the processor is, the newer the OS has to be?

Macs are always made so that the oldest OS they can run is the one supplied with them when they are new, Apple put something in the firmware to stop older ones from running.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:47 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
mdogg wrote:

Macs are always made so that the oldest OS they can run is the one supplied with them when they are new, Apple put something in the firmware to stop older ones from running.

Sometimes, it seems to be possible to run a slightly older version (e.g. 10.3.6 on a box that came with 10.3.7) but even that is unlikely to work and you should expect all kinds of weird behaviour.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:55 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Well, Classic actually lets you use any version of OS 9 from 9.1 regardless of the Mac, so a iMac that only works with 9.2.x, can run 9.1 in classic, its just all the times i tried,the formats were incorrect.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:00 pm 
Donator

Doesn't newer versions of OS X require 9.2.2 for classic? I seem to remember having issues with that on 10.4 and possibly even 10.3 on my ppc macs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:26 pm 
FTP Access

Classic is different, it's an emulation layer, the Mac is not booting the OS natively. Any PowerPC Mac can run OS 9.2.2 (OS X requires the latest OS 9 available at its time of release for Classic so eg Tiger will need 9.2.2, and it will work better with newer versions anyway, the updaters from 9.0 are free from Apple), even those that can't boot OS 9 natively at all (Macs made after OS 9 was officially discontinued sometime in 2002 can only boot the version of OS X that they came with and newer; Macs made before that can boot the version of OS 9 and the version of OS X that was the latest when they were made, and newer versions).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:34 pm 
Donator

I see, was under the impression that 9.2.x had additions that made it possible for them to run under Classic. I've never used Classic, always had my trusty Blueberry iMac for around legacy purposes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:28 pm 
Donator

AFAIK, when Mac OS X was released, Apple introduced the Carbon and Cocoa APIs and discontinued native support in Mac OS X for Classic. Therefore you need Mac OS 9 on your hard drive to run Classic apps in Mac OS X.

Also, you need OS 9.1 or higher to use Classic in Mac OS X.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:28 pm 
FTP Access

Carbon is a lot older than OS 9, I think OS 8.1 was the first to have it. Carbon allowed an easier transition to OS X for developers as once an app was "Carbonised" (a lot less work than making a Cocoa-native app) it could be run natively on 9 or X (without the use of the Classic Environment in X) - software released when X had not been out for long eg Adobe Photoshop 7 was often like this (newer apps don't still run on 9 though, despite still being Carbon apps (Cocoa is OS X-only).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:32 pm 
Donator

Must be some other framework I'm thinking of then, are there any other compatibility libs? I seem to remember something introduced around OS X but the name eludes me. Sort of almost Cocoa but not quite and OS 9 capable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:57 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Does anyone have OS 9.2.2 in ISO format, that can be booted?

Top  Profile