[req] iMac G3 Restore Discs (Mac OS 9.2.x)

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
James
Staff

[req] iMac G3 Restore Discs (Mac OS 9.2.x)

Post by James »

Hey, my old iMac G3 is malfunctioning, my Panther system is kernel panicking when i go into Safari, and crashes every once in awhile, can someone get me OS 9.2.x?
James *~*~* BA Moderator | Alternate History writer

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Mac OS 9 is on the SillyProject FTP but otherwise I think your stuck. My iMac G3 didn't come with restore disks except I used my work's PowerBook G4 restore disks to install Panther.

James
Staff

Post by James »

is it a OS 9.2.2 that can be booted from because i get: this startup disk works on the original media. on all my others.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Sorry for the bump but this is useful information.

Mac OS 9 on SillyProject installs Mac OS 9.1. Burn using Nero and insert into Mac and hold down the C button down while the screen is still black. After a while you will hear you CD drive begin to spin. Once a Happy Mac appears, release the C button. Your Mac will start booting from CD. I've tested this copy of Mac OS 9 on my iMac and it works.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Not all macs will boot from 9/9.0.4... WildEye afaik has a 500Mhz iMac that only boots from 9.2.2... my grandmothers iMac I bought her for christmas (400mhz) wont boot from 9.0.4 but my iMac G3 266mhz will

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

My 400MHz will boot to 9.1 (SillyProject Version). I installed about an hour ago so that I could use Classic. Do you mean that the faster the processor is, the newer the OS has to be?

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Yup, and the newer the Mac. Intel macs wont boot anything under 10.4. Maybe I should also add the 400mhz iMac my grandmother has is the DV model..

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

mdogg wrote:My 400MHz will boot to 9.1 (SillyProject Version). I installed about an hour ago so that I could use Classic. Do you mean that the faster the processor is, the newer the OS has to be?
Macs are always made so that the oldest OS they can run is the one supplied with them when they are new, Apple put something in the firmware to stop older ones from running.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
mdogg wrote:My 400MHz will boot to 9.1 (SillyProject Version). I installed about an hour ago so that I could use Classic. Do you mean that the faster the processor is, the newer the OS has to be?
Macs are always made so that the oldest OS they can run is the one supplied with them when they are new, Apple put something in the firmware to stop older ones from running.
Sometimes, it seems to be possible to run a slightly older version (e.g. 10.3.6 on a box that came with 10.3.7) but even that is unlikely to work and you should expect all kinds of weird behaviour.

James
Staff

Post by James »

Well, Classic actually lets you use any version of OS 9 from 9.1 regardless of the Mac, so a iMac that only works with 9.2.x, can run 9.1 in classic, its just all the times i tried,the formats were incorrect.

ddew
Donator

Post by ddew »

Doesn't newer versions of OS X require 9.2.2 for classic? I seem to remember having issues with that on 10.4 and possibly even 10.3 on my ppc macs.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Classic is different, it's an emulation layer, the Mac is not booting the OS natively. Any PowerPC Mac can run OS 9.2.2 (OS X requires the latest OS 9 available at its time of release for Classic so eg Tiger will need 9.2.2, and it will work better with newer versions anyway, the updaters from 9.0 are free from Apple), even those that can't boot OS 9 natively at all (Macs made after OS 9 was officially discontinued sometime in 2002 can only boot the version of OS X that they came with and newer; Macs made before that can boot the version of OS 9 and the version of OS X that was the latest when they were made, and newer versions).

ddew
Donator

Post by ddew »

I see, was under the impression that 9.2.x had additions that made it possible for them to run under Classic. I've never used Classic, always had my trusty Blueberry iMac for around legacy purposes.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

AFAIK, when Mac OS X was released, Apple introduced the Carbon and Cocoa APIs and discontinued native support in Mac OS X for Classic. Therefore you need Mac OS 9 on your hard drive to run Classic apps in Mac OS X.

Also, you need OS 9.1 or higher to use Classic in Mac OS X.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Carbon is a lot older than OS 9, I think OS 8.1 was the first to have it. Carbon allowed an easier transition to OS X for developers as once an app was "Carbonised" (a lot less work than making a Cocoa-native app) it could be run natively on 9 or X (without the use of the Classic Environment in X) - software released when X had not been out for long eg Adobe Photoshop 7 was often like this (newer apps don't still run on 9 though, despite still being Carbon apps (Cocoa is OS X-only).

ddew
Donator

Post by ddew »

Must be some other framework I'm thinking of then, are there any other compatibility libs? I seem to remember something introduced around OS X but the name eludes me. Sort of almost Cocoa but not quite and OS 9 capable.

James
Staff

Post by James »

Does anyone have OS 9.2.2 in ISO format, that can be booted?