BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 14h, 5m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 6667MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Hello,

I noticed PKZIP v2.04g Registered Version for MS-DOS is on the FTP. However, the following are still missing:
- PKZIP v2.04c Registered Version;
- PKZIP v2.04e Registered Version;
- PKZIP v2.06 IBM Licensed Version (the full package of that was floating around on BBS's back in the day as PKZ206-2.EXE or something).

If anyone has these, it would be greatly appreciated if they could upload them onto the FTP.

Thanks in advance.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP PRO SP3
I found that I didn't tested it, though .

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP PRO SP3
And this one by the way :)

Good luck

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:14 pm 
Administrator

Shew wrote:
And this one by the way :)

Good luck

Next time edit your own post in case you need to do a small adjustment, don't double post!

The filename in this last one clearly says pkz204g.exe which isn't what Battler was looking for.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- Shew: Your first one is PKZIP 2.06 yes, but only PKZIP.EXE, not the full package.

Your second one is PKZIP 2.04g shareware version.

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Google for PKZIP206, and you will find the full release of pkzip/pkunzip. However, it's a DOS proggie, not an OS2 one.

One has also pkzip 2.50 for dos, windows, and OS/2.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- os2fan2: The one I can find on Google is just a ZIP with PKZIP.EXE and PKUNZIP.EXE of PKZIP version 2.06. I already have that. I'm looking for the full original PKZ206-2.EXE package, which should also contain the OS/2 versions if I'm not wrong.

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:51 pm 
Administrator

os2fan2 wrote:
Google for PKZIP206, and you will find the full release of pkzip/pkunzip. However, it's a DOS proggie, not an OS2 one.

One has also pkzip 2.50 for dos, windows, and OS/2.

If you pay attention and look closely you see that Battler doesn't want "PKZIP206", but specific versions of PKZIP. I also don't see him requesting any OS/2 version, do you?

It's automatically assumed that people here google before they request stuff on BA, so assume they did before asking people to google for it unless it's extremely obvious they didn't. And considering the nature of Battlers request we can safely assume he's already done that.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
It should be remembered that the registered version and the unregistered versions differ just by some of the exe files. Most of the files of pkzip i found on IBM tapes were 1.09 and 1.11. IBM does have a program called PACK, and PACK2, the latter produces a compression similar to compress v1.

PKZIP206 would contain all of these, and i should doubt very much that the full package would be distributed, rather than specific exe files. IBM would not really have redistributed a full diskette of this. This is a revved version of 204g.

One notes that only the needed exe files for XVIEW (an unrelated program, specifically for reading .INF files under windows), only the needed exe files, rather than the full package, is distributed, even though the full package is available on the net (as OVIEW).

The name PKZIP206-2 suggests an OS/2 version, although PKWARE uses PKOS2vvv for their OS/2 versions. None the same, i should find it hard to imagine PKWARE compiling an OS/2 version of 2.00, especially since they had a new interface for 2.50 under Windows and OS/2. The versions all suggest a DOS package, which suggests the entry at Infozip might be wrong in this matter.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Quote:
The name PKZIP206-2 suggests an OS/2 version, although PKWARE uses PKOS2vvv for their OS/2 versions. None the same, i should find it hard to imagine PKWARE compiling an OS/2 version of 2.00, especially since they had a new interface for 2.50 under Windows and OS/2. The versions all suggest a DOS package, which suggests the entry at Infozip might be wrong in this matter.

Actually, there's also PKZ102-2.EXE, which is PKZIP v1.02 for DOS and OS/2. I've even had that once if I remember correctly, though I no longer do. So it's very possible that PKZ206-2.EXE existed.

Also 2.50 only came in 1999, 5 years after 2.06. A lot can change in 5 years.

Quote:
It should be remembered that the registered version and the unregistered versions differ just by some of the exe files.

Well the original distributions of 2.04c, 2.04e, and 2.50 registered for DOS (as well as 2.06 IBM Licensed Version) would still be nice to have. We do have the 2.04g one on the BA FTP, but I'd like to see the other ones too.

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 95 189
Battler, seems that yksoft1 got one of the PKZIPs you want.
Quote:
102 PKZIP V2.04E 1HD
(文件压缩程序)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- carlaum1: I just checked that one and it's the Shareware version actually.

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
The registered versions are not much different to the non-registered versions, except that you can sign them.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Well, let me bump the thread since 4 years on, I'm still looking for these.

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Battler wrote:
Well, let me bump the thread since 4 years on, I'm still looking for these.

Do you look for these versions: 2.04c reg. and 2.04e reg. ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- tarlabnor: Yep, thank you very much!

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I only have managed to find PKZIP/PKUNZIP of the IBM Licenced versions, since these are distributed with the various install versiont No OS/2 version of 2.x exist before 2.50, although i did extract a licenced version of 2.50 out of one of the tapes. I do have file from 1.09 and 1.10 in various forms.

I was fairly active in the OS/2 scene in the 1990s. I can't recall any OS2 version 2.x until 2.50, since the mainstay of OS/2 compression was infozip. (There's even an OS/2 compile of the zip.dll by IBM). I even have licenced versions of 2.04g and 2.50

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- os2fan2: There were PKZIP 1.x versions for OS/2. They used to be easily findable online.

Also, I do have a slightly better copy of 2.06 now, that also includes a readme file that explaines the terms of the special IBM licensing from PKWare to IBM. Apart from that, it appears to be just 2.04g Registered with two files (PKZIP.EXE and PKUNZIP.EXE) replaced with the 2.06 versions. Maybe that's how it was distributed in the first place.

2.04g we have both the 3.5" and 5.25" version of on the FTP.

Do you happen to have a proper copy of 2.50 Registered? All I've ever been able to find are various scene releases.

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
DOS, OS/2 or Windows? 2.50. I have licenced copies with manuals and the like.

DOS is an upgrade over registered 2.04g, so it's best to install one and then the next under DOS. It even looks for the text files.

OS/2 and Windows are base installs.

Last edited by os2fan2 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- os2fan2: DOS.

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
do you want my find of IBM PKZIPs too?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- os2fan2: Sure.

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
It's midday here. I'll upload them when i get onto the big iron at 1700 = GMT 0700. The IBM stuff is simply extracted files (of the ' that's looks nice' collect, and sorted by OS and version. The 2.50 is an original floppy imaged by IBM DskImage back in 1999, the image being the main source.

You need to upgrade a full installation of PKZ 2.04, if any of the files are missing, the upgrade does not work. Here be the files.

http://www.os2fan2.com/tmp/ibmpkzip.zip My collection of IBM branded PKZIP
http://www.os2fan2.com/tmp/pk204dos.dsk PKZip 2.04grg registered. Original PKWare diskette
http://www.os2fan2.com/tmp/pk250dos.dsk PKZip 2.50 registered. Original PKWare diskette.

These disks were cut in 1999 and 2001 respectively, after i had acquired the necessary cd-r driver and software. Unmodified. They are raw diskettes, cut with IBM's DSKIMAGE.

The ibm file is extracts from various large files on the basis of 'these look interesting - better snatch these'. So they are more akin to what they put on their computers, etc. The OS/2 versions are 1.09 and 1.11. I have 1.02 here, but that's just the standard sharware version. There's a 2.50 / OS2.

Note i use DOS compatible names, and directories, to sort the files. The normal home for these is /archiver/pkware/...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Oh, I forgot, here is PKZIP 2.04g French, originally provided by some guy to win3x.fr, then made it to old-dos.ru: http://citadel.ringoflightning.net/pk204f.exe . It is a self-extracting archive. Despite the file name, it is 2.04g. The f indicates it being French.

Edit: The localization is not done by PKWare themselves, but was outsourced to a French company.

Edit #2: Here is the most complete copy of 2.06 I have: http://citadel.ringoflightning.net/pkzip206.rar . ALso has a file named PKZIBM.ANN that explains the term of the IBM special license from PKWare to IBM.

- os2fan2: Thank you very much for your uploads!

PostPost subject: Re: [REQ] Old MS-DOS PKZIP v2 Registered versions...        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I had a look through the IBM version. The file in the archive is PKZ206.ZIP has the correct dates on them.

If you sort the files by date, there are six files different to the 2.04g set, so we look at these.

PKZIP and PKUNZIP are internally 1994/01/24. This is some time after 1993/02/01 of 2.04, which suggests that IBM may have fiddled around with them for a while, before getting a site licence of a home-grown version. These were then released on an anouncement on the following thursday morning (1994.01.27), PKZIBM.ANN supplied with the shareware manual.doc, with the word 'shareware version' taken out.

More interesting is that there are files dated 1991.02.02 (IBM.DOC and DEDICATE.DOC). These point to that there was an earlier version licenced to IBM, with vers 1.09 = 1991.01.15 being the only one to fit the bill. 1.09 is not listed in the wiki page, so it sounds like another home grown effort. But i should imagine getting hold of the DOS version of this might be hard.

The PKZ206-2 file mentioned in InfoZip's WHERE file, does not exist. PKWARE did not release any version of 2.xx for OS/2 until 2.50. This is because most folk relied on Infozip's compression tool to do the deed. Similar claims have been made in FREEDOS claiming things exist when they clearly don't.

Top  Profile  WWW