BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 0h, 27m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 2126MB of 4371MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: MS Visual Studio/C++        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:33 pm 
FTP Access

I'm looking to dig deeper into the Windows SDKs/DDKs that KenOath has kindly provided :)... but I've hit a stumbling block... I only have VC6. I managed to locate VC 1.52c (which is apparently VC 1.5 upgraded to support VC 2.1's features), but it doesn't look very complete.

Ideally I'd like to have ISOs of VS Enterprise (or VC) 1.0, 1.52, 4.0 and 5.0. I ask for ISOs because in my experience with older compilers it's best to have exactly whatever version of components came with the development tools... actually, even VC6 (from 1998) wants to install MS's JVM (from the CD) under XP! AFAIK MS aren't even allowed to distribute their JVM any more. I realize it's a lot of work, especially given the size of 4.0 and 5.0, so please let me know if there's anything I can help you with :)

I'm confused about what exactly the 2.x series added, and why there was no 3.x... Also, can anybody explain this (from wikipedia)?
Quote:
Visual C++ 2.2 and later did not update Visual C++ 1.5 (through it was included up to Visual C++ 4.x)

Does that mean 4.x include the compilers from 1.5x and 2.x?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
hmm... Only things i've got is VB5 and VS6E w/SP3. [and of course VS2005 Express] So I'd love to help you but I can't.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:35 pm 
Donator

Hmm, I have Visual C+(+) Pro 1.5 somewhere, but I'll have to find the CD first, if that's of any use...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:03 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Hmm, I have Visual C+(+) Pro 1.5 somewhere, but I'll have to find the CD first, if that's of any use...

That would be great if you could find it! :)

The Distractor: thanks all the same... I actually managed to find VS5 on e2dk, but only the 1st CD (VB5) has sources... the 2nd is missing... and the 3rd (VC++) is incomplete.. weird :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:33 am 
Donator

It took some time to find it, but...
Is that of any use to you? The ISO of it is only about 200MB, so it'll come down to even less RARred. I can start the upload tonight.

edit: Amazing; RARing it with standard compression got it down to a mere 60,578,344 bytes. Uploading now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:58 am 
FTP Access

Wow, that is a retro disc! I love that font that they used to use for the 3.x-era products. Nice :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:08 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Wow, that is a retro disc! I love that font that they used to use for the 3.x-era products. Nice :)

Remember, the NT 3.1 discs have the same color scheme and font :) BTW, upload has finished. It just needs to be moved.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:59 am 
empireum wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

Remember, the NT 3.1 discs have the same color scheme and font :)

They certainly do..!
Here's the Win3x SDK & DDK CD's

Even in the NT line..

Even this jimmy uses the same font, The old CD's always were appealing..

I found a Visual C++ 1.52 if it's any help too, it's also about 220mb in size...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:13 am 
Donator

@KenOath
That NT Server 3.51 CD looks cool, I have an OEM copy of 3.51 Workstation which doesn't have a coloured area. Font is the same though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:29 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Remember, the NT 3.1 discs have the same color scheme and font :) BTW, upload has finished. It just needs to be moved.

Thanks very much :D

I think what would look cool would be to use that font but instead of a solid block of color, use a dithered image like they did with the later CDs (e.g. VC6's building blocks). :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:36 am 
FTP Access

KenOath wrote:
I found a Visual C++ 1.52 if it's any help too, it's also about 220mb in size...

Nice photos Ken... I've never seen that 'jimmy' one before :shock:

I would really like that VC 1.52 disc... Despite the small difference in apparent version numbers, 1.52 is apparently a VC 2.1-compatible update to 1.5. (There was a 1.51 update that matched VC 2.0...)

1.51+/2.x were the first versions to support Win32s development. VC 1.5 is the last version to support 16-bit development. So these two versions... 1.5 (which empireum uploaded) and the 1.52 that you have are apparently quite distinct and important in their own right.

Top  Profile