BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 9h, 44m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 2291MB of 3693MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: IE 4 beta        Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:45 am 
FTP Access

which build was the last one that didnt include active desktop because I cant seem to find any ie4 betas at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:21 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
I don't know, what exactly you mean by Active Desktop, but the Windows Desktop Update was included in Build 544.0, which was the first public Beta build, already.
I have some Internet Explorer 4.0 Beta builds (Build 544.0 is among them), which I'll upload, as parts of my already announced crazy upload plan. ;)

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1
What is that "crazy upload plan"?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Active Desktop: Basically Windows 95/98 with IE crap shoved in your face

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:14 am 
FTP Access

The original IE 4 Beta was different than the final product, but Microsoft changed IE last minute.

Quote from winsupersite.com:
Quote:
In late 1996, Microsoft canceled its original plans for IE 4.0 and retooled after hearing that Netscape was going to try and replace the Windows shell with an HTML-based shell codenamed Constellation. The original IE 4.0 plans called for an evolutionary update to IE 3.0 that would have included features such as Site Map and an integrated FTP client. However, catching wind of Netscape's plans, Microsoft recast IE 4.0 as a major project called "Nashville" which would combine the Windows shell with the HTML rendering engine in IE, blurring the line between local content on your PC and remote content from the Web.

Nashville resulted in two products. The first was the standalone version of IE 4.0, released in late 1997, which included the expected browser, of course, but also a new integrated version of the Windows shell, an Active Desktop that combined the Windows desktop with a Web-based layer, and other controversial features. The second was Windows 95 OSR-2, which included these new IE-based integration elements, as would every future version of Windows, including, alarmingly, those based on Windows NT.

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:08 pm 

I have IE4 beta in Memphis build 1400.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:26 pm 
ToastyCheesy wrote:
The original IE 4 Beta was different than the final product, but Microsoft changed IE last minute.

Quote from winsupersite.com:
Quote:
In late 1996, Microsoft canceled its original plans for IE 4.0 and retooled after hearing that Netscape was going to try and replace the Windows shell with an HTML-based shell codenamed Constellation. The original IE 4.0 plans called for an evolutionary update to IE 3.0 that would have included features such as Site Map and an integrated FTP client. However, catching wind of Netscape's plans, Microsoft recast IE 4.0 as a major project called "Nashville" which would combine the Windows shell with the HTML rendering engine in IE, blurring the line between local content on your PC and remote content from the Web.

So, it's Netscape we have to blame for internet explorer becoming
integrated into Windows, not Microsofts decision alone.
All those years of bashing microsoft for doing so were in vain. :?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:57 pm 
I have an IE5.0 build that installs by default without the desktop update,
is that of any use to you, or does it have to be 4...
I was sure that you were given the option of not installing the desktop
update when installing IE4 if you clicked on an advanced button
{from memory} that when clicking the advanced button, gave you the
option on not installing the desktop update, been a few years since using
it though...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:07 am 
Donator

Seems to be the case, I can remember when installing IE4 on NT, it asked if I wanted the desktop update or not. I didn't even have to go into Advanced or something like that.

Top  Profile