BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 7h, 19m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 2087MB of 3717MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated on the front page. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice. This also applies to other members: If you see a request by someone with less than 10 posts and it hasn't been deleted yet, please don't reply to it.
2. Don't request for warez or any copyrighted software. Only betas (no matter how old or new) and finals of operating systems and applications that are at least 10 years old and therefore classified as abandonware are allowed to be uploaded to and shared on the BetaArchive FTP server.
3. If you have your own FTP server where you'd like other members to upload what you're looking for to, please don't post its login details in any open forum as that will probably lead to abuse. Post the login details in the Private Servers section instead.
4. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers. If you don't have access to the FTP servers then ask someone who has (a moderator for example).

PostPost subject: Looking for "Windows 2000 Professional for PC98" c        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Hi!

On http://winhistory.de/more/win2000.htm is written, that a version of Windows 2000 exists which is for PC98 computers

Does anybody have this version?

big thx

Quote:
PC98

In Japan gab es eine PC-Art namens PC98, diese Rechner waren zu europäischen/amerikanischen
Betriebssystemen inkompatibel, deshalb bekamen diese Rechner eigene Windowsversionen verpasst.
Das letzte Windows, das diese Rechner unterstützt, ist hierbei Windows 2000.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 am 
Donator

Yep, I have it, but

a) it's in Japanese only.
b) it's illegal if I share it (warez).

And last but not least, why do you want that? It will only work on these special and elusive machines which were only sold in Japan.

Here's the CD:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
Yep, I have it, but

a) it's in Japanese only.
b) it's illegal if I share it (warez).

And last but not least, why do you want that? It will only work on these special and elusive machines which were only sold in Japan.

Here's the CD:
{too long URL removed}

In the last time, i'm very interrestet in other computer architectures

is it illegal too, without sharing the key? :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:45 am 
Donator

Quote:
In the last time, i'm very interrestet in other computer architectures

This is no actual other architecture, these were basically still x86 machines, with Pentium Pro po Pentium II processors AFAIK which could run standard x86 apps on top of the PC98 OS (Windows 2000 was the last version to support these) There were some hardware differences preventing a PC/AT OS to boot on PC98 and vice versa, attempting to boot the PC98 W2K on a standard x86 box will crash the system immediately, for example.

Quote:
is it illegal too, without sharing the key?

Yes; it's not classified as abandonware and therefore warez, with key or not. But as I said, it's not as interesting as, say, an Alpha version of Win2k or an Itanium edition of Windows because these machines are still x86. :) And AFAIK, there is no emulator that can boot the modern Windows OSes, these PC98 emulators that I have played around with (all in Japanese which I can't understand at all) can only run Windows 1.x or 2.x, if at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
hmm, ok :(

But, can you make some photos, scans and screenshots of the discs, boxes, manuals, running windows?
this would be great :-)

thx

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:53 am 
Donator

I can make a photo of the package, the CDs, the manual, but... I can only provide screenshots of the PC/AT version. I can't run the PC/98 version due to the lack of appropriate hardware, and the PC/AT version is just a Japanese Windows 2000, nothing less, nothing more. :wink:

Here ya go:

Desktop screenshot {don't worry about the On-Screen Keyboard, was running full-screen in VMware and had to use that to make a screenshot}

CD of the PC/AT version {that will run on normal PCs}

Last edited by empireum on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
I can make a photo of the package, the CDs, the manual, but... I can only provide screenshots of the PC/AT version. I can't run the PC/98 version due to the lack of appropriate hardware, and the PC/AT version is just a Japanese Windows 2000, nothing less, nothing more. :wink:

hm, screenshots are not so urgent ;-)

Big thx for the photos!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:49 am 
FTP Access

What is the pc-98 version? How does it differ from regular 2000. Hey where did you get the freestyle logo in your signature?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:52 am 
Donator

dirtwarrior wrote:
What is the pc-98 version? How does it differ from regular 2000. Hey where did you get the freestyle logo in your signature?

1. PC98 was a special kind of computers only sold in Japan with some HW differences (don't know exactly, Google is your friend).
2. Aside from the fact that Windows/PC98 won't run on standard PCs, I don't know the differences, I heard something about a different text-mode/boot-up resolution. Can't confirm that.
3. It's in the msgina.dll and/or winbrand.dll of XP SP2 (I think) and Server 2003 (for sure).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:01 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
It's in the msgina.dll and/or winbrand.dll of XP SP2 (I think) and Server 2003 (for sure).

On mine msgina.dll contains Home, Pro, Embedded, Whistler Server, Whistler Advanced Server, and Whistler Datacentre images, and winbrand.dll contains Starter, Tablet PC, and Media Centre. Freestyle was the codename for MCE wasn't it? I suppose Server 2003 would have been at a similar time to the first MCE - XP SP2 is quite a bit newer, so already as the final MCE branding included.

What is slightly strange about the non-English versions, like the one you show, is that there is still quite a lot of English in them - do people that don't speak English really put up with this? I wouldn't be very happy if there was a lot of Japanese or something else that I didn't understand in Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:12 am 
FTP Access

OK from what I read pc-98 was a computer for japan. Its ram was measured in kilobites :shock: small. If it had so little ram how could it run 2000?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:38 am 
FTP Access

dirtwarrior wrote:
OK from what I read pc-98 was a computer for japan. Its ram was measured in kilobites :shock: small. If it had so little ram how could it run 2000?

As with the "standard" PC, not all models are exactly the same as the first one. You can't boot Vista on 640k, can you? :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:44 am 
FTP Access

kidde wrote:
You can't boot Vista on 640k, can you?

But surely no-one will ever need more than 640k?! :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:54 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
On mine msgina.dll contains Home, Pro, Embedded, Whistler Server, Whistler Advanced Server, and Whistler Datacentre images, and winbrand.dll contains Starter, Tablet PC, and Media Centre. Freestyle was the codename for MCE wasn't it? I suppose Server 2003 would have been at a similar time to the first MCE - XP SP2 is quite a bit newer, so already as the final MCE branding included.

Hmm, I'm sure I had the "Windows XP Freestyle" bit in Server 2003 with SP2. I can't check it right now because the machine is busy on Linux and I'd have to reboot to OS X first to access the VM...

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
What is slightly strange about the non-English versions, like the one you show, is that there is still quite a lot of English in them - do people that don't speak English really put up with this? I wouldn't be very happy if there was a lot of Japanese or something else that I didn't understand in Windows.

I think this only appears in some, for example: the Asian, versions of Windows. I have "used" Japanese, Korean and Traditional Chinese Windows editions and have noticed that in every one of these. I think it's just by design. In editions in non-Asian languages (French & German to be exact) I haven't noticed that yet. For example, the "Documents and Settings" folder is called like that in all Asian versions, due to system limitations. By design. :)

As for the PC98 machines having little RAM, I know some of them (or one that I've seen a screenshot of) can deal with (at least?) 64MB of RAM, allowing Windows 2000 to run. Here's the screenshot:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
dirtwarrior wrote:
Hey where did you get the freestyle logo in your signature?

its in the WINBRAND.DLL of an Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP0 :( downloadable @ microsoft.com

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:48 am 
Donator

It's also in some of the early (37xx?) Longhorn builds, IIRC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 am 
FTP Access

The free style looks nice. I have seen it some where else before.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:

Here ya go:

Desktop screenshot {don't worry about the On-Screen Keyboard, was running full-screen in VMware and had to use that to make a screenshot}
[url=http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/1172080599.or.w2kjpn.JPG][img]http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/1172080599.th.w2kjpn.JPG[img][url]

CD of the PC/AT version {that will run on normal PCs}
[url=http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/1169982670.or.IMG_0001.jpg][img]http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/1169982670.th.IMG_0001.jpg[img][url]

thx 8)

Am I allowed to use this Photos of the Package/CD/Manuals/etc and the screenshots on my new homepage when it's finished?

thx a lot :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:42 pm 
Donator

You are free to use any pictures/screenshots made by me wherever you like, I give you the permission if you do the following:

- give me a link to your site once it's finished :)
- add a "THX to {my real name}" on your site. For this, PM me when your site is done and you're ready to up the screens, then I'm perfectly fine.

Okay?

But the screenshot of the PC98 version (with the blue desktop background) is not mine, so I'm not sure. You should ask the webmaster of winhistory.de regarding this screenshot. :)

But don't expect too much regarding the box, packaging & the manuals: These are the standard Windows 2000 boxes/manuals, but in Japanese :) Nowhere does it say it's for PC98 except on the CD :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
You are free to use any pictures/screenshots made by me wherever you like, I give you the permission if you do the following:

- give me a link to your site once it's finished :)
- add a "THX to {my real name}" on your site. For this, PM me when your site is done and you're ready to up the screens, then I'm perfectly fine.

Okay?

But the screenshot of the PC98 version (with the blue desktop background) is not mine, so I'm not sure. You should ask the webmaster of winhistory.de regarding this screenshot. :)

But don't expect too much regarding the box, packaging & the manuals: These are the standard Windows 2000 boxes/manuals, but in Japanese :) Nowhere does it say it's for PC98 except on the CD :wink:

thank you very much =)

Is Dirk, the admin of www.winhistory.de allowed too, to use the picture of the CD? If he is, I will send him the picture ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:47 pm 
Donator

Quote:
thank you very much =)

Is Dirk, the admin of www.winhistory.de allowed too, to use the picture of the CD? If he is, I will send him the picture

Yes, sure. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:27 am 

empireum wrote:
And AFAIK, there is no emulator that can boot the modern Windows OSes, these PC98 emulators that I have played around with (all in Japanese which I can't understand at all) can only run Windows 1.x or 2.x, if at all.

Last time I used a PC-98 emulator (Anex I think, can't remember), I was able to install everything up to Windows 95. I've got Windows 98 for PC-98 as well but never tried to install that, but I guess it would have worked too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
@ empireum: THX a lot!!! 8)

@ pcGTW_Webmaster: Can you upload the Win98 PC98 Edition to my server?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:13 am 

_x-to-the-z_ wrote:

I'm not really feeling comfortable spreading final versions of Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:
_x-to-the-z_ wrote:

I'm not really feeling comfortable spreading final versions of Windows.

ok I'm sorry

Top  Profile