BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 8h, 48m | CPU: 17% | MEM: 2480MB of 5651MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Corridor 8: Galaxy Wars Prototype (Build Engine, 1996)        Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:05 am 
FTP Access

I have found an early prototype version of Corridor 8: Galaxy Wars ( a follow up to Corridor 7). It was scrapped in late 1996 because Capstone went bust, so it never left the prototype stage as it was in development for a few months. Not much is known about the game, and it was only leaked about a year ago. Nevertheless some of the levels are fully playable and its probably worth a quick look - the download is only 8mb!

Got to :
http://corridor7.tripod.com/
Then go to the DOWNLOADS section, scroll down and under 'Other Capstone Based Downloads' you should see a download for Corridor 8 as well as its original Design Documentation and Source code.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:09 am 
FTP Access

Here are a few picks, thanks to retro-net:

Its quite rare and almost forgotten now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:19 am 
FTP Access

The official game description is as follows:

"One hundred years have past since the Alien Invasion of Corridor 7. An evil intelligence has once again assembled a deadly army of warriors, bent on conquering the universe. Total destruction of the planets Ailoprobe and Semaj by the evil force has convinced other alien races to fight against them. This has created a chain reaction of events, resulting in the unification of the Rodex, Mechanoid and Human race in an attempt to fight the evil force.

Corridor 8: Galactic Wars takes you there! Which side will you choose?"

Jonof says: "The game was somewhat ambitious according to its design document, with six episodes of ten maps each, divided into two campaigns of three episodes: an 'allied' and an 'axis'."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:51 am 
FTP Access

Here is the full story behind the game. Les Bird, the original programmer for the Capstone wrote to Mishran and the fan community:

"I came across some old Corridor 8 stuff that I'd like to send your way so you can share it with the community. What I have is the latest source code for the game as well as a very early prototype. Since we didn't have a whole lot of artwork done for the game at the time we used place holder art and sounds from the original Doom game. I also found the original Corridor 8 design doc. I'll photo copy it and send it along.

"Let me explain a little about the game ideas we had. First, the game was going to ship with an integrated level editor. It was the original Build editor but integrated into the game along with some nice enhancements. This much was already finished in the prototype. You could edit a level then switch to game mode and play the level then switch back to edit mode and make more changes. It actually worked quite well. Another idea for the game which you can see in the prototype menu is the ability to play either the Axis or Allied sides. This feature wasn't playable in the prototype. You can read more about this in the design doc. We had planned to build 60 levels, 20 weapons and 18+ actors - yes, a very optimistic goal."

Also included with the prototype are other "test" levels that may be interesting to look at. Some of them demonstrate the new features we had planned to include in the game."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:37 am 
Donator

never played corridor 7, but this looks alright. i'll give it a go

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Corridor 8: Galaxy Wars Prototype (Build Engine, 1996)        Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 pm 

Favourite OS
98 xp
Corridor 8: Design document
http://upwap.ru/903654

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Corridor 8: Galaxy Wars Prototype (Build Engine, 1996)        Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
I think it would have been better if you created a new thread for that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Corridor 8: Galaxy Wars Prototype (Build Engine, 1996)        Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:56 pm 

Favourite OS
98 xp
Ok! No problem!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13213

Top  Profile  ICQ