BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 2h, 17m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 6702MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:38 am 

Favourite OS
Gentoo Linux (Kernel 2.6.25)
Hey all,

a few years ago, a guy named John Razimus relocated the Pre-Alpha Client of Ultima Online from 1996. On ryandor.com he wrote:

Razimus wrote:
The Pre-Alpha Client, finally available on the net, I've been looking for it since 1997, and I just found it 2 days ago, it's taken over 7yrs to locate it.
It will probably only be available on the net for a limited time, I sugguest you download it, and play around with it.

I can't get the map0.mul to load, obviously being the oldest client it isn't compatible with any program made for UO, but with a bit of tweaking I'm sure someone can figure it out, but I'm not a coder nor have I ever used any map programs such as this I just found this page a few minutes ago.
I'm asking for help, anyone who is interested please help out, the result will be the first free open online server re-creation of UO's 1996 Pre-Alpha test.

I bet most people don't know what the 96 client was, well it was very fun, an evil npc mage Myndon quest, PvP tournaments, small map, but more player oriented, more activity, level based instead of skill based. I'm sure a regular UO map could be mocked up to look similar but it wouldn't be the same, the 96 client had unique graphics, etc... anyway I'm going to make a page detailing the Pre-Alpha test, since 1999 I've been saving every Pre-Alpha screenshot I could find, and I'll open the biggest Pre-Alpha gallery on the net, with credit to all who took the screenshots. Plus I'll be adding a page with more info and history.

For info on where you can locate the client please go to my page thanks.
If you make any progress or you'd like to help out please email me and let me know, thanks again.

This time, his website is down and the client is nowhere to be found anymore. So I wrote him an E-Mail and asked for the file. A few days later he has really sent me the Client and I reuploaded it.

Unfortunately he hasn't found the working Server-Emulator (written by a friend of him) yet, so you can't really play around with the Client. Anyways, it is worth to keep this 15megs (!) of Gaming History. Thanks go to Razimus!

Snippet from the readme.txt wrote:
ULTIMA ONLINE: Shattered Legacy

WHAT IS A PRE-ALPHA?

Ultima Online, or UO for short, is currently at a very early stage of its
development. According to the definitions used by ORIGIN, a product that
reaches Alpha is one that has the engine for the game complete and working
fully, although not all the scenario and world may be present yet.

What you are going to play is pre-Alpha. That means that there are a very
large number of core features missing from the engine. Normally a product
at this stage of development would not be released to the public in any
form, but there are elements of the engine which we need to test on a
large scale before we proceed.

This means that although we hope that the product is stable and playable,
we cannot offer any guarantees whatsoever that it will even run on your
machine. It is missing many key features we consider integral to the final
version, and will have bugs and design problems.

Ultima Online Pre-Alpha (1996)
A few Screenshots

Greets

Dargo

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:38 pm 
Administrator

Wow, a great find. Too bad we don't have a working server emulator, but at least the client is safe :).

I've also saved the screenshots for the upcoming media archive.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Release Preview
sorry about this being an old topic but..
the link doesnt work, can you re upload and post a link?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:34 am 
FTP Access

There's 2 files on the FTP:
Ultima Online - Shattered Legacy (pre-alpha).rar - 12mb
Ultima Online - Third Dawn (1.25.35) (beta).rar - 536mb

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:44 am 

Favourite OS
Gentoo Linux (Kernel 2.6.25)
There you go!

http://uploaded.to/file/flj7mx

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:35 pm 

I had meant to reply to this thread a few months ago but forgot about it.

I was the original person who started hunting down the UO Pre-Alpha client game files almost 10 years ago, and it took years to find someone who had backed it up on disk. (Televar Dragon from Usenet provided me with an archival copy from an old zip drive). Around 5 years ago Razimus tracked down the same files, and set up two web sites for the UO Pre-alpha. (I have them archived here).

There were originally two UO pre-alpha server emulators. One was by a guy named "Tamino", but we've only ever seen screenshots of it.. it was a project called "Ethereal Void". He says it was working, but there was no combat.

A few years later a guy named Max Scherr programmed another UO Pre-alpha server emulator in Borland Delphi (pascal) and set up a running server a few years ago. This is the server emulator Dargo was referring to. The darn thing worked, although all of the buildings were missing their doors :D There weren't enough people actively involved with the project, and he disappeared a year or two later.

So, after years of cajoling, I managed to get him to release his source code. He did not want to release it because he was unhappy with the code (which is mostly undocumented) but I am so glad that he finally decided to let it go into the wild.

So here is the only surviving copy of Max Scherr's "Ultima Online: A New Age" pre-alpha server emulator. I have a copy of the most recent source code (updated in 2006), and a binary of a build from 2005. The source needs to be compiled with Delphi, but otherwise should work. I have not had the time to test it.

Ultima Online Pre-alpha Client
Max Scherr's Ultima Online Pre-Alpha server emulator (Windows binaries)
Max's UO Pre-Alpha server emulator source code

Enjoy!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:20 am 
Client and server work but i can't connect. Because there are only 3 servers i can choose.. I can't enter 127.0.0.1 to anywhere.

PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:51 pm 

xantier wrote:
Client and server work but i can't connect. Because there are only 3 servers i can choose.. I can't enter 127.0.0.1 to anywhere.

Xantier, poke around in the .ini files in the server and/or client folders. I *believe* that you need to set the proper IP address up (for either the server or client) as well as open up the appropriate ports on your router. I'm not on a Windows machine right now so I can't tell ya for sure. But I can confirm that when it works, it works :) Explored Britain for a couple of hours when Max had his server running.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:33 pm 

artfulgamer wrote:
xantier wrote:

Xantier, poke around in the .ini files in the server and/or client folders. I *believe* that you need to set the proper IP address up (for either the server or client) as well as open up the appropriate ports on your router. I'm not on a Windows machine right now so I can't tell ya for sure. But I can confirm that when it works, it works :) Explored Britain for a couple of hours when Max had his server running.

Naw, I have the same problem and I think that connection info is hidden somewhere in the core of the client. Im trying to figure it out, but nothing yet. I tried to change these 3 login servers in the hosts file as well as I changed them in the client, but it still doesnt connect.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:45 pm 

Right now, I discovered that the alpha server uses listening server..the only thing to do now is to figure out how to fit this server into the client, which doesnt connect nowhere atm.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:18 pm 

Client connects to 206.155.226.182:12346 and uses listening port.
If port is cool, adress must be changed.
Login information is hidden in the client.exe
Here's what should be changed:

Code:
0x00032204 0xCE 206
0x00032208 0x9B 155
0x0003220C 0xE2 226
0x00032210 0xB6 182
0x00032214 0x3A30 12346

Just change it on your IP and....
http://pic.ipicture.ru/uploads/091117/Vu2SO7DxEU.jpg

:idea: :mrgreen:

Special thx to Destruction, admin of UltimaSoft, russian UO portal for helping me to find the right line of a code.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:52 am 
BadKarma wrote:
Client connects to 206.155.226.182:12346 and uses listening port.
If port is cool, adress must be changed.
Login information is hidden in the client.exe
Here's what should be changed:

Code:
0x00032204 0xCE 206
0x00032208 0x9B 155
0x0003220C 0xE2 226
0x00032210 0xB6 182
0x00032214 0x3A30 12346

Thanks for that. To make this even easier for new folks, just run ***this patch*** from within the directory where the Alpha client is located to have the IP address replaced with 127.0.0.1 for you. Then you can just run the server, run the client and roll.

Here are some tips that helped me get started:

• After unzipping the downloaded alpha client, don't bother running SETUP.EXE because it likely won't work. You can just run CLIENT.EXE directly from within the /CLIENT folder.
  • To make running the server a simple point-and-click process, you'll want to copy everything in the /CLIENT folder to C:\UO.
  • [Obviously] You need the server running in order for the client to connect. Download the server, unzip it and simply run `uoslserver.exe'. If your alpha client is located in C:\UO, then just click the Start button.
  • When you get the server running, you can login via the client with the administrator account by using the name Admin, password Admin.
  • Inside the /scripts/cmd folder of the server directory, you can find various commands you can run as an administrator in the game. Open up any of the files in this folder with a text editor of your choice to get an idea what the commands do.
  • To run commands within the game, use the prefix #.
  • The /types folder of the server directory will give you an idea of which types are available to use. The basic installation contains very few items and NPCs, but you can use the templates provided to script your own fairly easily. You will need the type IDs in order to use certain commands like createnpc or createitem (e.g: "#createnpc 1" will spawn a rabbit because the type ID of 1 corresponds to the rabbit in /types/npcs.ini).

PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:27 am 

Well done folks! I'm impressed you came up with a patch for the client. Can't wait to try this out myself, as it's been a few years since I played with Shattered Legacy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111 & NTLEGO
Wow, thanks artfulgamer for saving this piece of gamer history, Dargo for bringing it up here and BadKarma for figuring out how to patch the client :mrgreen: (Y)

Have a (B) guys, this is good stuff.. Downloading now ;)

Co-Worker #1: "A boolean variable has two possible values: true or false."
Co-Worker #2: "Umm...true?"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:56 pm 

Also guys check this out. This is the only pre-t2a uo shard nowadays (gameplay of 97-98). If youre UO fan you will definitaly want to try this out. Beta ends today 27th Nov at 9 PM EST. We are now more than half of accurate. After launch there will still be a lot of patches which will make this shard more accurate and bring us more players. Heres the link for it: http://uogenesis.com

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:14 pm 
Can anyone please help me. Im tring to create a server now that replicates pre alpha, but i cant get anything to spawn for npc's other than the rabbit and the shopkeeper, I see that in the Graphic folder there is everything from orcs, to Lord British's Toon. My question is, what do i do to get everything that was in the pre alpha able to spawn rather than just a select few items. In the uo server folder under types, i see that only a few things have had files made for them to spawn. Im guessing that for the rest of the things to spawn custom files will haft to be created for each under this types folder. If anyone has already done this and can share them with me that wou ld be great, Or if im mistaken and there is another way to go about this please let me know, Thanks :)

PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:35 pm 
I actually am starting to get the hang of everything, id say the only Problems i have now are, it only comes with a script for the shopkeeper and a rabbit. Now as far as scripts go, i dont understand this. I want to create an orc script that will fight and chase me and all that jive. If anyone can help with this, along with telling me how to get things to respawn after they die, like a rabbit or an orc, i will finish the Pre-alpha project and hopefully we can get a free server going. The pre-alpha looked to me like the best uo experiance there was, its a small map so even a small player base will beale to interact with each other. I honestly think that if i finish this project and manage to advertise it a little bit, or even get it on the ultima online top 200 free shards list, that this could make its way to the #1 free shard, any other free shard is like a ghost town if there isnt more than 200 players online.

PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:47 pm 

Sounds nice..Im sure pre-alfa will stick some players, but are you sure it will have all its items(rares, NPCs, skills) scripted and that everything will work era correctly? If you can figure out how to make all this work..I know that a lot of things must be scripted there like spells etc, how to connect etc, you may add something new later when the server will be up and running. Good luck.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 pm 
There is a few spells that i will need to script, and a few npc scripts, as far as graphics go i see everything that was in the pre-alpha, minus the evil mage. But he can be created via a human with a dark robe. I will need some assitance in scripting the spells and actions of npcs, if anyone can help with this, i will finish the project!

I also think i will beable to get closer than anyone else to replicating the pre-alpha because i know 2 people that were playing during that period. Im sure that there will be a quite a few differences, but i will try to get as close as possible. But if i cant get someone to teach me how to make the scripts or just make them for me, this project will probley fade away...

PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:04 pm 

Then you probably want somebody who knows Delphi. Try asking on RunUO forums, but I doubt that anybody there will be interested, or there will be few, but as usually they wont be able to help ya :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ultima Online Pre-Alpha Client (1996)        Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:41 pm 
Il try for sure, wish me luck. If it dosnt work il see you on uogenesis lol. Actually il check that out regardless, looks awesome!!!