BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 6h, 51m | CPU: 68% | MEM: 6126MB of 11062MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:46 pm 
Donator

Is there a Crysis Alpha/Beta available that looks like this?
http://www.incrysis.com/incgalleryview.php?file=44.jpg
http://www.incrysis.com/incgalleryview.php?file=368.jpg
http://www.incrysis.com/incgalleryview.php?file=96.jpg

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:19 pm 
Administrator

Those clips comes from a preview video released some time before Crysis was even announced. They were just concept videos of CryEngine2 using a very small map area with a lot of polygons. It's much harder making a game the size of Crysis like that without the game taking up too much space and making the game totally unplayable since the map areas are vast in the final game. I would guess CryEngine3 will be more closely to that, but of course it's several years away from release, and we'll probably switch videocards once or twice before we got adequate performance.

I've seen some of the code for this concept video and if I remember correctly, one of those maps took up about 3GB in size and needed four SLI-connected videocards to run in a semi-low resolution (1280x1024). Of course this was a while ago, but that says it all. It was a concept video showing what the engine is capable of, not what we could actually expect in a full size game.

As for the video, I got it here somewhere, it will be uploaded along with the other beta pics and videos I am currently assembling for BA.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:26 pm 
Donator

There a lot of alpha/beta/tech demo videos on Gametrailers.com, you can also search for CryEngine 2 on there. :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:01 pm 
Donator

So it was only a concept?
From what Ive seen the Cryengine 3 is directed at consoles. the Cryengine 2 actually looks better IMO.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:22 am 
Donator

wasn't that from the videos that showed off directx10 and had to be run in software?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:24 am 
Donator

zchri9 wrote:
So it was only a concept?
From what Ive seen the Cryengine 3 is directed at consoles. the Cryengine 2 actually looks better IMO.

It is, hence why the computer one (Cryengine 2) is better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:55 am 
Administrator

Actually, CryEngine3 will be better than the "computer" CryEngine2. Until now CryEngine2 has been fairly single threaded not taking proper use of the multiple cores we got in a modern dualcore, tricore, quadcore systems. Since both Playstation 3 and XBox360 relies heavily on multithreading CryEngine3 will be developed towards that end, giving better performance when utilizing multiple cores, and even make use of multiple videocards, both as an SLI solution but also by being capable of offloading physics calculations to an another videocard.

CryEngine3 will simply take what CryEngine2 has today, develop it further and optimize it. In the end it will be a new engine which is why they don't simply call it "CryEngine 2.1" or something like that. And as always they add some few extras to it during the development. Of course it's not known yet if CryEngine3 will be used in PC games, but whatever engine they develop for the PC platform it will most likely be inherited from CryEngine3.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:12 pm 
I think the stuff you've shown us screencaps of is the CryEngine 2 tech demo that they showcased WAAAAAY back in October 2005 at PDC05. This was the DirectX 10 showcase feature at the keynote. I also recall the video they used had captions for the various effects the engine could do (e.g. Volumetric Clouds)

Yeah CryEngine 3 is basically an optimized and miniaturized version of CryEngine 2 destined for consoles. I would hazard a guess that it would be counter-intuitive to ever utilize that engine for PC games as console optimization usually means fixing the render resolution (generally 720p, but there are exceptions) and gearing the data streaming system for a computer with much less ram but a much simpler I/O subsystem. (both consoles have MUCH less ram that what we utilize on our machines today)

Also, from what I have gathered from various Crytek briefings/interviews, the CryEngine 2 hasn't been put to its full potential due to modern graphics hardware performance, or the lack thereof.

I would love to see a COD4-esque game utilizing the CryEngine 2, would look pretty awesome no?

PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:59 pm 
Most of the effects and qualities can be drop-back with High-definition graphic\shader\hdr mods for subj btw

but it is rally pity that :beta: of Crysis non-available :cry:

PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
The reason that cryengine 2 looks better is because it was optimized for pc however only a small amount of people could run crysis at full graphics (even NASA computers couldn't). Therefore by making cryengine 3 optimized for console it would allow pc users to run the game at full graphics.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Crysis Alpha/Beta?        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:48 am 
FTP Access

I think that whole NASA thing was a hoax. With all NASA's computing power the should be able to do it.

Top  Profile