BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 7h, 19m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 6018MB of 11393MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Diakatana Pre-Alpha 3-21-1997        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Diakatana Pre-Alpha released by John Romero quite a few years ago.

Already uploaded to BA FTP, same pack that John Romero had on his site.

John Romero wrote:
Daikatana Pre-Alpha Project

Pre-Alpha

March 21, 1997

This is the earliest version of Daikatana that exists - it’s only two months in development
and has only 2 levels started. I began writing the design document (GDD) for Daikatana
in February 1997 while my first few programmers were learning the Quake tech: Kee
Kimbrell, Shawn Green and Jonathan Wright. Matt Hooper (dabug) and John Anderson
(Dr. Sleep) were making levels.

Calling this version a pre-alpha is correct but alpha was still years away - it should really
be called "Start Of Development Version". At the same time we were creating this
version, the PR/Hype machine was just building up while we were still trying to learn the
tech and make a game. Ion Storm was growing quickly - little did we know what kind of
ride was ahead of us.

The beginning of the change-over to the Quake II engine was still a whole year away.
But we were planning on shipping Daikatana for Christmas 1997. What a crazy idea that
was. A new company, a new team that hasn’t worked on a game before...what was I
thinking? DUMB.

This is definitely a treasure trove for Daikatana fanatics. If you have questions, post
them in the Daikatana forum on http://rome.ro. Enjoy!

John Romero
November 25, 2004

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water." --Rabindranath Tagore

Top  Profile