BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 11h, 41m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 6018MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: game creation software        Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:33 am 
FTP Access

do any of you know a great game creation software, much like what the professionals use to create high end games.

i know about this one
http://www.3dgamestudio.com/

but i wonder if there are better or alternatives out there?

-Thanks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:56 am 
Donator

didn't think professionals used that. more like c++. I think there is microsoft c++ express that is free

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 am 
Donator

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that professionals write their own or license all sorts of different software for different aspects of the game they're creating. Good luck finding an entire game creation suite being used by professionals, especially to create "high end" games.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
vi and cc. Hop to it! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:36 pm 
FTP Access

For a 3D API your current choices are OpenGL and DirectX. DirectX is Windows only, OpenGL is cross-platform, but Linux has to emulate 3D drawing unless you're using an nVidia card with official nVidia drivers.

For engines, there are plenty out there. Mostly what an engine does is gives you staging platform where you can import your 3D models and action scripts in a single, visual interface. It can also pull some fancy maneuvers with the polygons, such as not drawing polygons the user can't see in order to save processing power. The best engines are the ones which (surprise surprise) cost money to license. There are some open source ones you can tinker around with on your own if you really feel like it.

For 3D, Anim8or and Blender are the only high quality 3D applications available to consumers for free that I know of. Anim8or has a pretty complex scene creator, too, although most developers prefer Blender.

As for an app that will let you do the actual coding, DevC++ is pretty popular. If you feel like going old school there's always SciTe, and if you feel like being spoiled by your IDE you can always go in the opposite direction with NetBeans or the express editions of Microsoft Visual Studio.

As for actually making the game, well, that's the hard part. I recommend putting an ad up on CraigsList looking for hobbyist artists/coders who are interested in making a game just for fun on a volunteer basis. You'll probably get replies from a bunch of people like you with lots of enthusiasm but little experience, but it never hurts to try. If you do get a solid lead, odds are they'll have programmer friends who can help.

If you do wind up making and selling a game, don't be a jerk: DRM is a no-no. You'd also make the nerdiest of your customers very happy if you gave it away for free as open source under the GPL.

Have fun.

Top  Profile