BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 12h, 0m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 4624MB of 10833MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Halo for MacOS        Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:29 am 
FTP Access

Hi,

I've heard from somewhere that the first Halo was originally programmed for MacOS, but then Microsoft bought up Bungie and changed the whole project short before shipping to the PC platform.

My question is: were there any leaked betas of the Mac Halo and where to get them (if there are some)?

Thanks for replying,

betalarry

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:58 am 
FTP Access

You are aware that the Mac version was released as well as the PC/Xbox versions? I don't think any betas are around but you should be able to get the released version.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 pm 
Donator

The first Halo was RTMed for the Mac but the rest weren't. Getting more games was part of Steve Jobs' plan to get more people to switch to the Mac platform but Apple seem to not be interested with investing in games anymore. :|

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:14 pm 
FTP Access

I suppose with the switch to Intel they can now sell Macs to gamers anyway whereas they couldn't before, so it's less critical that they run on OS X (also game companies will be less willing to convert their games to OS X as they can now sell them to Mac users without doing that).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:46 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I suppose with the switch to Intel they can now sell Macs to gamers anyway whereas they couldn't before, so it's less critical that they run on OS X (also game companies will be less willing to convert their games to OS X as they can now sell them to Mac users without doing that).

But still, even though you can run Windows on the Intel-based Macs now, most gamers will just go with a standard PC because they won't see the point in buying a Mac if they're going to spend most of their computer time in Windows playing games.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 pm 
FTP Access

The graphics card situation makes Macs a poor choice for gamers too, ie them being a lot more expensive than the equivalent card on PC and there being a limited range where the cards are released much later than for PCs - I don't know why Apple insist on custom-ROMmed versions of graphics cards for Macs, OSx86 shows that all of their software works fine on the regular versions :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I don't know why Apple insist on custom-ROMmed versions of graphics cards for Macs, OSx86 shows that all of their software works fine on the regular versions :P

It’s all about the money, Apple charge ridiculous prices for a lot of things. At least you can buy ram from other places though, it’s a shame about graphics cards and stuff.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:28 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
The graphics card situation makes Macs a poor choice for gamers too, ie them being a lot more expensive than the equivalent card on PC and there being a limited range where the cards are released much later than for PCs - I don't know why Apple insist on custom-ROMmed versions of graphics cards for Macs, OSx86 shows that all of their software works fine on the regular versions :P

Apple are shoving poor on-board graphics into their MacBooks too. My dad's new MacBook can't play GLQuake, yet an iBook from 1999 can play GLQuake fine. :^)

And it's not as if it's an Intel vs. PowerPC thing because my Intel iMac plays GLQuake fine too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:31 pm 
FTP Access

Yes, I've always thought that the MacBook is extremely expensive for a machine with integrated graphics, being nearly twice the price of my Dell which has a proper graphics card and plays everything well except the very latest games :P GLQuake plays fine under Tiger on my Beige G3 too (as well as my Hack Pro ;)), which only has a 32 MB original Radeon Mac Edition - I'd be surprised if it doesn't run on the MacBook as their graphics are still a lot better than the old Radeon (they must support Quartz Extreme and Core Image for a start), what happens when you try to run it? (the original Unreal Tournament also plays really well on the Hack Pro despite it being a PPC-only game which is interesting, you don't even notice it was all being converted to Intel as you play!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:04 pm 
Donator

GLQuake tells me that no displays were found and then crashes after a second or two of displaying the message. And according to this post on another forum, I'm not the only one having issues with GLQuake. Besides, I don't think OpenGL 2.0 is supported by the on-board graphics supplied on the MacBook (Intel GMA X3100).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:24 pm 
FTP Access

Hmm, seems weird, you'd think if you can play it on an original Radeon then it would play on pretty much anything :S (the MacBook's graphics will even run Aero Glass etc) I can even play Quake I and II on my mobile phone, albeit not with OpenGL graphics, just the normal version :P Maybe it's some sort of bug with it being quite an old game, that it doesn't support integrated graphics for some reason as they weren't really around when it came out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:17 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Hmm, seems weird, you'd think if you can play it on an original Radeon then it would play on pretty much anything :S (the MacBook's graphics will even run Aero Glass etc) I can even play Quake I and II on my mobile phone, albeit not with OpenGL graphics, just the normal version :P Maybe it's some sort of bug with it being quite an old game, that it doesn't support integrated graphics for some reason as they weren't really around when it came out.

You can play the standard software rendering version of Quake on the MacBook just not GLQuake.

And the aforementioned iMac has integrated graphics (Intel GMA 950) and plays GLQuake just fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I can even play Quake I and II on my mobile phone, albeit not with OpenGL graphics, just the normal version :P

lol, S60v3 FTW :P
btw, there is GLQuake for symbian and you can switch the mode in Q2 to OpenGL.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:47 pm 
FTP Access

Thanks for the answers... but what's the name of this PC version?

BTW, haven't the new iMacs got ATi Radeon 2600XTs? I think it shouldn't be a problem to play games on this card.
And I think the graphics of the MacBook suck. ALL notebooks in this price class have at least a DirectX 10 card. But the MacBook is extremely overpriced all the way. You'll get a 2x better notebook for the same price with a bigger screen, bigger RAM, a bigger HDD and better graphics (as mentioned above).

Thanks for your help,

betalarry

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:52 pm 
Donator

betalarry wrote:
Thanks for the answers... but what's the name of this PC version?

BTW, haven't the new iMacs got ATi Radeon 2600XTs? I think it shouldn't be a problem to play games on this card.
And I think the graphics of the MacBook suck. ALL notebooks in this price class have at least a DirectX 10 card. But the MacBook is extremely overpriced all the way. You'll get a 2x better notebook for the same price with a bigger screen, bigger RAM, a bigger HDD and better graphics (as mentioned above).

Thanks for your help,

betalarry

Yeah all iMacs have an ATI card now, but at the time (early 2007) the cheapest model was bought.

Top  Profile