Half-Life 1 Alpha?

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

But what do we care and what does this have to do with the topic?

pcGTW_Webmaster

Post by pcGTW_Webmaster »

Okay, if someone really wants the beta, I may agree on a trade (it seems to be very rare and sought-after, so I think that's fair). But I'm not putting up a public download, because I don't want to get flamed later for releasing a non-working beta, nor do I want to see it somewhere else with the info about the corrupt file removed.

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

Damn. That sucks, I got nothing to trade it for.

st.alfonzo
Donator

Post by st.alfonzo »

Do souls count as valuable/rare beta?

But then again I could just wait for unblestone or sierra to release the beta.

Evan
FTP Access

Post by Evan »

All of us here pcGTW_Webmaster, believe in the free release of our most rare Betas. It is, for that reason, we do not have anything to trade with you because it is already freely available for people such as yourself to download.

In fact this isn't the only site that believes in this, SonicRetro's dumps have been freely torrented, even a lot of stuff from assembler games eventually get a release, even though they are known for "hoarding" their games.

The reason these files need to be freely downloaded by many people is the simple fact that one owner is not enough to preserve these past copies of our games. They are indeed documents that retell the development history and changes, and we can see how the game grew. Not only does a single owner limit the information a group of people can extract, but if the data is lost by yourself, either by a fire or any other accidental means, then that information is lost to the world.

Think about your decision, is all I'm saying. I don't have any single copies of betas as i release them, so i have nothing of that value to trade, but perhaps i could interest you in some hardware or any other such item. I released the Starcraft Battle.Net beta to the public years before it actually was playable, eventually some other guys cracked the exe and got the credit. But i don't really mind, as we can now see this beta safe.

The same thing should really happen to this beta. You wouldn't get into trouble by releasing it, there's no problem that your current build would crash because we all know the final one was released and know it to be a beta. Sierra did release (well, leaked) Their DC Half-Life somewhere along the line, and they wouldn't care much for an old beta.

Thanks for listening.
Evan supports minimal Sigs! :P.

lucas93
FTP Access

Post by lucas93 »

Yes, please release it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the most valuable (video game) beta out there. If you still want to trade, thats fine, but PM me.

Evan
FTP Access

Post by Evan »

Nothing to my response?

lucas93
FTP Access

Post by lucas93 »

Ok pcGTW_Webmaster, all you have to do when uploading this, is add a .txt file called: "README!!!", and type something like:

Half-Life Beta is provided as is, don't ask me why it doesn't work. I take no responsibility if this breaks your PC, etc, etc.

Just like Evan said: if you lose this, its gone forever.

pcGTW_Webmaster

I like it when people don't listen. I repeat: The beta is DAMAGED and that's the reason why I don't want it to get widely spread. Once that would happen, no one would continue trying to find a good copy of it. And that's counter-productive for preservation. Popular examples for that are all the Unreal betas, Jazz Jackrabbit 3D, etc. People don't even know how these are messed up, because there's -- of course -- no readme file included, or it has been removed on purpose.

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

So you can include one, what's the problem? Just say that the beta is damaged and people should continue searching for the complete beta. Besides, everyone would notice that it's crashing (that means files are corrupt, beside that, crashes are uncommon to the GoldSrc engine of HL1).

Also, what about the RC1 version?

pcGTW_Webmaster

gracz54 wrote:Also, what about the RC1 version?
I don't have any other versions, only the beta.

Evan
FTP Access

Post by Evan »

If no one released those betas, I promise you we wouldnt have any betas of those games at all. The Jazz 3 beta we have is probably the most complete it ever was. The Unreal betas (Yes there is more then one) are complete builds during development.

There's nothing wrong with releasing a broken beta. Even if the game doesnt run at all, the models or textures can be seen, if anything for trivial and knowledge of development. It's been ~10 years with no release of a beta, and the later we leave it the less chance there will ever be for something like this.

pcGTW_Webmaster

Evan wrote:The Jazz 3 beta we have is probably the most complete it ever was.
Yes, because it took me ages to find the most unmodified and complete build! Look, my thread about it is still here. Without me, you wouldn't even have a version with a working level editor. I cared, whereas others didn't -- they were pleased with the crappy version that was available back then.
Evan wrote:The Unreal betas (Yes there is more then one) are complete builds during development.
Which again shows the problem. You aren't aware of all the files that are missing and the maps that were modified by other people before it was finally leaked (with all the modifications).

Anyway, what's this all about? You're asking me for a favour but try to dictate the rules? Come on. You don't have to share my opinion, but you have to tolerate it.

Evan
FTP Access

Post by Evan »

Well of course i'm tolllerating it, but that doesnt mean I can't let you know how i feel about the whole beta scene.

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:I cared, whereas others didn't -- they were pleased with the crappy version that was available back then.
I think you are incorrect. I think that everyone cared and no one was "pleased" with the crappy version, it's just that no one had the possibilities you have to search or inquire about betas.

tibonk

Post by tibonk »

well seems to be these are like "i just want you to know that i have it and you dont" posts. Remembers me of all The Curator situation again.

lucas93
FTP Access

Post by lucas93 »

What do you want from us to release the beta? (If there is anything)

Evan
FTP Access

Post by Evan »

Chance of getting beta - low
Chance guy actually has no beta and is lying through pants - high
Chance he will reply with "Oh now im not giving it to you because your not being nice!" *cough* - high.

lucas93
FTP Access

Post by lucas93 »

Yay, someone has the guts to say it
(I was only thinking it )

st.alfonzo
Donator

Post by st.alfonzo »

@Evan

EXACTLY!!!

I almost said this but I was afraid of scaring of another beta. I still feel bad about the unblestone conflict I had.

marxo
FTP Access

Post by marxo »

I have Half-Life: Day One.

In case anyone wants it.
May our software be open-source, and our women closed-source.

lucas93
FTP Access

Post by lucas93 »

I already uploaded it.

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4222

But if yours can actually get past the first map without crashing, please upload it

Evan
FTP Access

Post by Evan »

st.alfonzo wrote:@Evan

EXACTLY!!!

I almost said this but I was afraid of scaring of another beta. I still feel bad about the unblestone conflict I had.
Don't be. There's been so many conversations exactly like this one on other boards.

TheWahbinator
FTP Access

Post by TheWahbinator »

Is that the same as Half-Life:Uplink?

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

No.