Half-Life 1 Alpha?

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
Evan
FTP Access

Post by Evan »

unblestone wrote:I've got a very early beta of Half-Life. Not sure if it is the version you're looking for, but it doesn't matter anyway. It doesn't work on any current system, you need some 10-year old hardware to make it work. And even then it crashes often. Probably the reason why no one ever bothered releasing it..
Believe me it doesnt matter how buggy or how old of a system you need. I have plenty of all range computers dating well back. Please, please upload this beta! We would owe you
Evan supports minimal Sigs! :P.

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

unblestone wrote:I've got a very early beta of Half-Life. Not sure if it is the version you're looking for, but it doesn't matter anyway. It doesn't work on any current system, you need some 10-year old hardware to make it work. And even then it crashes often. Probably the reason why no one ever bothered releasing it..
Holy crap. I'd be forever in your debt if you'd upload it somewhere. I've been looking for it forever, I'm a huge HL series fan.

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

wouldnt a patched VM work too?

also, i cant load the dreamcast version into any emu

unblestone

Post by unblestone »

Just noticed that I even got two versions, a beta and a release candidate. Haven't touched them for a couple of years and almost forgot about the rc. Have to see if I can get them to work in a virtual box.

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

Could you upload them somewhere ?

st.alfonzo
Donator

UGH!

Post by st.alfonzo »

UGH! just upload them PLEASE!!!

unblestone

Post by unblestone »

Firstly, stop sending me private messages! This is especially addressed to st.alfonzo. Writing "HALF LIFE BETA ME WANT NOW!!!" 10 times is just that, annoying.

Secondly, even if I decide to upload it, I can't do it until the month's end. I'm on a business tour currently, and while I have my laptop with me and can access all my files on my home server, I'm certainly not going to upload it with my laptop using a public hotspot.

st.alfonzo
Donator

WOW

Post by st.alfonzo »

wow, im not going to start a flame war, but I sent you 2 pms, and both indicated I was joking. i guess i should stfu a lot more often.

Evan
FTP Access

Post by Evan »

st.alfonzo... Don't jepordise and email potential beta releasers... I of all people know how annoying it is.. You'll just scare people away and then we'd be screwed. Wether you were joking or not.
Evan supports minimal Sigs! :P.

st.alfonzo
Donator

Post by st.alfonzo »

yea, you be right. i guess i sholudn't show my warped sense of humor to people i don't know, or more importantly, people who don't know me.
you haff to take me "with a grain of salt" sometimes. i guess i owe all of you an apology.

[color]i've always wanted to use that analogy...

lucas93
FTP Access

Post by lucas93 »

Unblestone, if you have these two versions, could you please upload them? I don't care if they don't work on todays hardware, I'll gladly spend a good chunk of my time, (when I'm not studying for my half year exams ), trying to port stuff over to HL1 retail or get it to work with this engine , and of course share how to use it

How big are the archives\installers?

And like Evan said,
Evan wrote:We would owe you

pcGTW_Webmaster

Post by pcGTW_Webmaster »

I've got that Half-Life beta as well (he got it from me, actually). It's not worth uploading, because one of the data files is damaged. That's where the crashes are coming from. It's also not that early, build date is July 1998.

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:I've got that Half-Life beta as well (he got it from me, actually). It's not worth uploading, because one of the data files is damaged. That's where the crashes are coming from. It's also not that early, build date is July 1998.
It would still be awesome to have it (it's probably possible to repair the data file). Could you upload it?

lucas93
FTP Access

Post by lucas93 »

I agree with gracz54. It would still be an awesome collectors item. Tell me of any rarer beta

pcGTW_Webmaster

Post by pcGTW_Webmaster »

I don't see any point in uploading a corrupted beta. There's no way to fix it either. It's missing about 20 megs of compressed data.

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

Oh.
That's quite a problem.
Still, I can try and replace the missing files or tinker with it in some other ways. Trust me, I know the GoldSrc engine better than my mother.
How much MB is it?

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

Hmm why is "Half Life:Blueshift" available here?
Last edited by Ludacris on Mon May 12, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

tibonk

Post by tibonk »

pcGTW_Webmaster wrote:I don't see any point in uploading a corrupted beta. There's no way to fix it either. It's missing about 20 megs of compressed data.
wow pcGTW you need to upload it! it doesnt matter really if is not playable, all the beta collectors and half life fans will thank you forever, and you will be remembered as the guy who showed the Half-Life beta! trust me!

-Brian

theSpam
FTP Access

Post by theSpam »

Ludacris wrote:Hmm why is "Half Life:Blueshift"
It's an expansion for HL1. You get to play through the events of HL1 as Barney.

lucas93
FTP Access

Post by lucas93 »

If the map\model versions haven't changed since the beta, it would be possible to replace the corrupt content with the retail content. Sure, it would be the complete beta, but it would work

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

Hmm but why is it developed by gearshift?

gracz54
FTP Access

Post by gracz54 »

Gearbox.

Why should it be developed by Gearbox? It has Valve's approval.
Anyway, Blue Shift is (arguably) not official lore. It's a bit inaccurate to the official Half-Life story.
Gearbox also made the first addon to Half-Life, called Opposing Force.

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

I have downloaded Blueshift.. I will test it now

st.alfonzo
Donator

Post by st.alfonzo »

Ludacris

Blue shift is not beta. People have already played it. Why are you asking about an already well played game on a topic about a beta, or possibly alpha version of the Half Life?

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

I said I will test it as in I will play and look how I like it xD