[Offer] Red Alert 2 Beta (RUS) Beta v1.0

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
maxtorix
Donator

[Offer] Red Alert 2 Beta (RUS) Beta v1.0

Post by maxtorix »

This is Red Alert 2 Beta v1.0 Russian version
Only 1st Allied Disk

Installation has some graphic bugs, but accept key 020736...
Some of the buildings are different, how you can see on the pictures
AI is equal to 00.1 :) ))
And there is available light tank for allied by default.

Loading screen

Main Menu

Skirmish

Soviet Base

Allied Base

PM me for magnet link

z180
Donator

Re: [Offer] Red Alert 2 Beta (RUS) Beta v1.0

Post by z180 »

If the game has most strings separate from the main executable ,someone can translate it soon.
Stephen Elop….I curse you, that after your death your soul will be forever trapped in the sourcecode of Windows and one day Microsoft will fall because of that virus code!

HerrBraun
FTP Access

Post by HerrBraun »

z180 wrote:If the game has most strings separate from the main executable ,someone can translate it soon.
Maybe I can covert this into English ;) I will try to convert ASAP if I grab this one.

Red Alert 2 loads it's strings from RA2.CSF in LANGUAGE.MIX file. So I might can replace the Russian string table file with English one or make a small MOD which enables English on RA2 Beta.

Euronymous
FTP Access

Post by Euronymous »

It looks pretty much the same to me, except for a few small details like the tanks and buildings.
Pink Pink

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

z180 wrote:If the game has most strings separate from the main executable ,someone can translate it soon.
The audio/voice is also Russian

HerrBraun
FTP Access

Post by HerrBraun »

Well, I proved my theory. Copy an English version of RA2.CSF (String table file - you can get it from here, in this archive you can get English and German string table file. Rename the desired csf file as 'RA2.CSF') on the RA2 directory.

I've already tested it. Here are the screenshots.

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

What about Audio?

HerrBraun
FTP Access

Post by HerrBraun »

maxtorix wrote:What about Audio?
To change audio, you have to replace LANGUAGE.MIX with an English version of LANGUAGE.MIX.
It is also in the RA2 installation directory.

To obtain LANGUAGE.MIX file, just extract GAME1.CAB. Which in the SETUP (or INSTALL) directory on RA2 Disc.

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

HerrBraun wrote:
maxtorix wrote:What about Audio?
To change audio, you have to replace LANGUAGE.MIX with an English version of LANGUAGE.MIX.
It is also in the RA2 installation directory.

To obtain LANGUAGE.MIX file, just extract GAME1.CAB. Which in the SETUP (or INSTALL) directory on RA2 Disc.
Yeah I can re-cab Game1.cab with language.mix from english disk inside but that will change more than half of the files of this beta game.
With tools like Mixer and other CNC editors I can change the audio.mix and ra2.csf in language.mix and re-mix files again, and re-create Game1.cab with only that two files but that will be files from RA2 Final not from the beta, so then we're losing the point of this.

HerrBraun
FTP Access

Post by HerrBraun »

maxtorix wrote:so then we're losing the point of this.
Agreed :)

yksoft1
FTP Access

Post by yksoft1 »

This version has all copy protection routines enabled..

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Wow maxtorix, this is certainly an awesome find! May I ask where you got it? I understand that it was leaked and then sold as a pirated translated version for some time (like what happened to the Age of Kings leaked beta), right?

[Edit] Apparently, it's just a mod made by a Russian fan:
http://www.ra2.od.ua/2011/10/19/red_ale ... stall.html

The text on that page says that the author decided to recreate the beta after he failed to find an authentic leaked version. This is why it was so easy to convert it back to English using the files from the final release of the game.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

MrFlibble wrote:The text on that page says that the author decided to recreate the beta after he failed to find an authentic leaked version. This is why it was so easy to convert it back to English using the files from the final release of the game.
Recreate the beta? So what, it's not a real beta but a modified RTM to mimic the beta? If he didn't find the authentic leaked version then this beta is also not authentic. You don't recreate a beta unless you got the original beta source files and compile it without any changes whatsoever.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

mrpijey wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:The text on that page says that the author decided to recreate the beta after he failed to find an authentic leaked version. This is why it was so easy to convert it back to English using the files from the final release of the game.
Recreate the beta? So what, it's not a real beta but a modified RTM to mimic the beta? If he didn't find the authentic leaked version then this beta is also not authentic. You don't recreate a beta unless you got the original beta source files and compile it without any changes whatsoever.
"Recreate" as in "make a mod that looks like the beta screenshots". The guy on that page says he took some sprites from other sources (like the Project Perfect Mod C&C modding community, or Yuri's Revenge Argentina), others he made himself from existing pre-release screenshots of the game.

There have been attempts at such mods already, like the cancelled PreRA2 or Red Alert 2 Beta (removed from ModDB but a download still exists).

There's a way to check if the files are authentic. If it's a mod, the MIX files that contain game data were most likely created with XCC Utilities. Whenever XCC Mixer or XCC MIX Editor modifies or creates a new MIX file, it puts a file called "local mix database.dat" inside, where it stores names of all data files inside a MIX file. Original MIX formats used by Westwood studios don't store file names inside MIX files at all, they use special file IDs instead, so no file created by Westwood should contain any "local mix database.dat" files.

Note however, that there is a rather obscure tool written by a Russian programmer that allows to remove "local mix database.dat" from MIX files created by XCC Utilities. However, it can only handle MIX files that are not encrypted. Westwood Studios started using encrypted MIX files for additional protection of their data files with the development of the first Red Alert (not that it helped prevent the modders from cracking the file format! :D). If a MIX file is encrypted, XCC Mixer displays that information (see attached screenshot for reference). IIRC all original Red Alert 2 files should be encrypted, and there's also additional checksum protection, which XCC Mixer also displays; however, XCC Utilities do not allow to add checksum protection to modified or newly created MIX files at all.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Well, if it's a mod to make it look like the beta then it's hardly not a beta now is it? =D The title should then be something along "Red Alert 2 Mod: Beta Recreation v1.0 Russian version" or something.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

mrpijey wrote:Well, if it's a mod to make it look like the beta then it's hardly not a beta now is it? =D
Of course it isn't! :) I'm thinking that the language barrier is partially responsible for this confusion.

Totally no idea why the guy from the page I linked to above decided to make an entire CD with an installer and such specifically for his mod. It's not like he wanted to pass it as a fake, as he openly states on his page that it's a mod. He also indicates that he used the pirated Russian translation of the game as the basis for the mod simply because it's the one he owns, not because he wanted it to seem like the pirates translated a leaked pre-release version (like in the case of Age of Empires II).

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Well I was thinking more about Maxtorix' title on this thread. But I guess he was unaware that it was just a mod and not the real thing. Either way, thanks for letting us know now, then I won't bother adding this to the archives.

Flare
FTP Access

Post by Flare »

Sorry to necropost, but it looks like he ripped some of my work, the rest is his terrible attempt at matching it. I also have an account over at ProjectPerfectMod as "Symphonic" and previously as "Prime" and "BrianPrime."

Here is a link to my thread there if you're interested in playing RA2 like it was originally intended to be.
http://ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... torder=asc

I've been working on this thing since 2003; that thread doesn't show everything (a lot of work is stuck in older threads on that website and others) but it gives an idea of the level of quality I'm pursuing.

-Brian