BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 0h, 6m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 2251MB of 3715MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Xbox 360 Questions        Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:38 am 
FTP Access

This may be in the wrong forum, but meh.

Alright, so basically I've been working many more hours because I've been set on getting a new Premium Xbox 360 (the one for US$400 with the 20 GB HD). Now, as a new Microsoft Xbox gamer, I have a few questions about the hardware and your opinions on the system, its online service, and its games.

First off, the Halo 3 beta (at my friend's house) looks very promising. So there's your game beta topic discussion. :P Either way, it's made me want to buy an Xbox 360 more and more. The dashboard keeps getting updated, which means that Microsoft is looking into more features for the system, as well as providing new updates recently for older Xbox games. Also, extended warranties and a decrease in "Red ring of death" reports seems welcoming as well.

Now, my question to you is whether $400 is truly worth the wait. I don't want to risk buying any used 360, and I truly don't wish to buy the core, since I'll end up needing to buy the extra stuff either way. Obviously, gaming for the PC is cheaper, but the 360 graphics are somewhat better. I already own a Wii, but FPShooter games are getting annoying with the Wiimote, as well as a disappointment in delayed games (Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, etc.).

I now ask for you opinions on whether the system is all that and a bag of chips. Please, no fanboyism or OMG GET THIS INSTEAD. I want facts and honest opinions on the services provided by Microsoft. Not Sony, Nintendo, or other gaming companies.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:15 pm 
FTP Access

I see that this topic is already weeks old, however better late then never.

In my opinion an Xbox 360 is almost up to the standards of a Playstation 3 and its hundreds of dollars cheaper. Game developers have admitted that most games they make are made on the Xbox 360 platform and ported to Playstation 3 so it is obviously powerful.

I would say yes it is definatly worth the wait however keep in mind that the Xbox 360 Elite is coming out soon (If not already in your country?) And while you have said please no "OMG GET THIS INSTEAD's" the release should bring the price of the Premium and Core packages down

I know ill be getting an Xbox 360 (Elite) in August when they finally come to New Zealand :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:25 pm 
Donator

microsoft have just annouced that they are putting HDMI ports into the premium xbox 360 (not just the elite), so if that matters to you then wait till they arrive

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:20 am 
FTP Access

___ wrote:
microsoft have just annouced that they are putting HDMI ports into the premium xbox 360 (not just the elite), so if that matters to you then wait till they arrive
Well, I read up and realized I don't really need HDMI, as the TV I use for gaming is still using the standard Analog cords (Red White Yellow). I may step up and use the RGB cords eventually, but who knows. :)

I bought the premium package on Wednesday, which was when it lowered $50 the same day. Most of my library is huge since I can play Xbox games on there (a list of them) and they're about $0 - $30, which is great. There are also some platinum Xbox 360 games already like Kamio and Perfect Dark Zero. Not to mention, Sonic the Hedgehog, due to its bad reviews and loading times, is also cheap, so yeah.

If you have a gamertag, add me or write it here!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:32 pm 
Donator

i only got what my avatar is :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Meh, My bro is getting one of those Wiis for christmas, its OK, but I really would prefer a PS3 (beceause its cooler, and you can install a 3rd party OS, so much more) or a 360...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:29 am 
FTP Access

Compact-mac wrote:
Meh, My bro is getting one of those Wiis for christmas, its OK, but I really would prefer a PS3 (beceause its cooler, and you can install a 3rd party OS, so much more) or a 360...
Personally, I own a Wii and a 360 and they both attract two different audiences. The Wii is targeted towards people who have never played video games before or haven't played any since the introduction of multiple buttons on the controller. Anyone can play the original Nintendo since it has only four buttons (two most used) and a direction pad. The Wii brings back an A button, the directional pad, and some extra buttons that get used in menus or rarely. Also, if you turn the Wii on its side (like in Super Paper Mario), it's basically the NES controller but improved! However, the downside is most of the Wii games are ports of GameCube games (Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Metroid 3, etc.). I mean, the graphics/engine used is basically an improved version of the GameCube's.

Now, the 360 targets pro gamers. Those that want more bang for their buck. The 360 has better graphics, more power, and better online choices thanks to its price. However, most of the library consists of FPShooter games, and many parents may not want their children to play them, so the 360 targets older audiences.

The PS3, in my opinion, is just a PS2, but with the Blu-Ray disc and is more of a computer than a gaming system. The PS3 targets towards those who want next-NEXT-gen hardware now. Although the price tag may gear those in another direction, it really is worth its cost. Its library, however, lacks many games, as the PS2 is doing well already since more developers know how that works, rather than the PS3's blu-ray technology.

So it's really more of what you want for your money. At first, I thought the PSP would kill Nintendo DS, but look what happened. It flopped. Then the Wii I thought would kill Nintendo as well. But look what happened again, it's going to outsell the 360 BECAUSE it targets ALL audiences.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
troyoda1990 wrote:
Compact-mac wrote:
Personally, I own a Wii and a 360 and they both attract two different audiences. The Wii is targeted towards people who have never played video games before or haven't played any since the introduction of multiple buttons on the controller. Anyone can play the original Nintendo since it has only four buttons (two most used) and a direction pad. The Wii brings back an A button, the directional pad, and some extra buttons that get used in menus or rarely. Also, if you turn the Wii on its side (like in Super Paper Mario), it's basically the NES controller but improved! However, the downside is most of the Wii games are ports of GameCube games (Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Metroid 3, etc.). I mean, the graphics/engine used is basically an improved version of the GameCube's.

Now, the 360 targets pro gamers. Those that want more bang for their buck. The 360 has better graphics, more power, and better online choices thanks to its price. However, most of the library consists of FPShooter games, and many parents may not want their children to play them, so the 360 targets older audiences.

The PS3, in my opinion, is just a PS2, but with the Blu-Ray disc and is more of a computer than a gaming system. The PS3 targets towards those who want next-NEXT-gen hardware now. Although the price tag may gear those in another direction, it really is worth its cost. Its library, however, lacks many games, as the PS2 is doing well already since more developers know how that works, rather than the PS3's blu-ray technology.

So it's really more of what you want for your money. At first, I thought the PSP would kill Nintendo DS, but look what happened. It flopped. Then the Wii I thought would kill Nintendo as well. But look what happened again, it's going to outsell the 360 BECAUSE it targets ALL audiences.

Thanks for the info. I see what you mean about them been targeted at multiple audiences, but I think the first one to have a worthwile Star Wars Game on it, me buy :P I love the PSP over the DS simply beceause it is much of a computer, it has better graphics, widescreen, and I use Homebrew, which you can't get on the DSand I use it as a media player...

Can't the PS3 play PS2 games? I am sure it can. Prehaps developers could make a PS3 only mode with increased graphics on PS2/DVD discs. I think that Blu-ray and HD-DVD games will eventually catch on, since better graphics and longer games needs more space.

The Wii, my uncle has it, I played it, but it was a little cartoony like most nintendo stuff, and I had a hard time getting used to it. I really do like action games, but not incredibly violent ones, like SW Battlefront I and II is the only FPS I ever play.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:35 am 
FTP Access

Compact-mac wrote:
troyoda1990 wrote:
Compact-mac wrote:

Thanks for the info. I see what you mean about them been targeted at multiple audiences, but I think the first one to have a worthwile Star Wars Game on it, me buy :P I love the PSP over the DS simply beceause it is much of a computer, it has better graphics, widescreen, and I use Homebrew, which you can't get on the DSand I use it as a media player...

Can't the PS3 play PS2 games? I am sure it can. Prehaps developers could make a PS3 only mode with increased graphics on PS2/DVD discs. I think that Blu-ray and HD-DVD games will eventually catch on, since better graphics and longer games needs more space.

The Wii, my uncle has it, I played it, but it was a little cartoony like most nintendo stuff, and I had a hard time getting used to it. I really do like action games, but not incredibly violent ones, like SW Battlefront I and II is the only FPS I ever play.
Well, the issue with the Wii is FPS games like Star Wars and Call of Duty simply suck with the Wii Remote. I mean, you have to point and aim, and you have to be accurate or it won't kill the guy and you end up dieing. It became VERY frustrating, let alone Nintendo promised online-play and it was never put in the final product.

The DS actually has a large Homebrew community out there. You just have to get the right medias and flash carts to do so. You can also buy this MaxDock (I think) Player that lets you play videos and music on your DS. But I think Nintendo's main motive is to keep the video game industry a video game industry, and not turn it into a computer industry. That's why we already own a computer to go online, play music, watch videos, etc.

Nevertheless, the PS3's XrossMediaBar is sexy. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:37 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
IMO, the best description i've heard of the three next gen systems go like this (i forget who said it...)

"the wii is like a lollipop, popular with the kids

the 360 is like a restaurant where you know the chef and either get sick from the food or have a decent meal

and the PS3 is like a gourmet restaurant that serves a huge platter of lobster, fish, etc. but is a little pricey and is over packed with stuff you never really eat."

Top  Profile  YIM