BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 10h, 39m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5604MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
psychelicious wrote:
What's your site Leo? And also, what are these files?

Just explained in the post.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:19 pm 

Favourite OS
OS X 10.7
Thanks. That wasn't there when i asked ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
psychelicious wrote:
Thanks. That wasn't there when i asked ;)

Yeah...I am not quite amused though. I mean I wasn't giving the links away to that(yet) and that's just the stuff that matters, rest is too private/complicated to share and is unrelated to Unreal anyway, still it is interesting and I hope issues won't pop out of that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
None really. Any Windows will do
U1 stuff.rar (38.02 MB)

Code:
http://www.multiupload.com/42THPMTSQ7

I am coding this link on purpose in hopes that it will survive longer. Please, do not un-code it, just do the courtesy of actually copying and pasting it into your browser bar. Thanks.

What it contains:

- a map from August 97 called Fin1.unr, having several pre-release weapon versions myleveled and God knows what else. Initial examination via hex-editor by Leo (T.C.K.) proved that fact. No currently available beta is able to open this map out-of-the-box, but perhaps it may change in the near future.

- Install and Setup directories contain nothing much worth mentioning in general apart from an EULA for the Unreal Alpha. Still, I've included them here.

- Docs and Epic folders from previous contribution by Leo.

- A couple old 96-97 era texture packs, including one already included in the 97 monster preview tech demo (SBase).

Not much, but I can say for sure that it's all that's Unreal-related in the X-COM Alliance archives currently in our possession. Thank you for your attention.

If you love potatoes, show your support and declare yourself a Taterbro by putting this in your signature.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
I have not noticed those textures actually either and some of that stuff. However the texture packs seem to be XCOM related, the caverns texture set is even in some of the later builds etc, i yet have to check the textures. Fin1 is xcom related but has unreal content to the mix as well, about three weapons. Could be made compatible by some proper hex editing with the 97 demo.

EDIT:
The textures are not from Unreal (it is xcom/KHG stuff), the SBase might be, but this SBase, natural, natural2 and telstechno cannot be opened becasue its under different build of Unreal, some hex editing might help it run under the earlier build though since its not that different and the test map as well, it includes stinger automag and eightball and flakcannon, along with some xcom trooper, but cannot be run again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Code:
http://www.multiupload.com/RLF4SKN3JC

Another bit of stuff recovered by our duo. Leo received the UnBible document with the batch of files that included the Unreal97 tech demo and a series of screenshots. It's dated February 1998, but the date is clearly wrong -- the document describes items that were scrapped from the game at that time. It's a complete design document for Unreal.

The other two documents are: a synopsis of the game's storyline and a description of the ingame levels, many of them were cut. The latter was definitely authored by T. Elliot Cannon 'Myscha', the author of the Story document remains unknown (maybe it's Myscha as well, who knows). The documents reveal a lot of differences within the game's story and lore as well as mappage, and all come from 1997 which is when the source that gave us the two files received them himself. Sorry about the datestamps, they were emailed to us in raw form, not packed, so the datestamps will show 2011.

If you love potatoes, show your support and declare yourself a Taterbro by putting this in your signature.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Code:
http://www.multiupload.com/391EWTGUES

This may be described as the complete development beta for Unreal PSX. You do require Unreal to use this, however, it comes with its own system directory. EVERYTHING that was recovered is in this archive, which means you get access to an almost complete campaign, but with many items not implemented. It's been fully sorted out, so no duplicate files, despite this being the amalgamate of stashes of like 5-6 people that provided their stuff to us. Remember that Leo is working on a remake, so people who wish to not have their pleasure spoiled shouldn't download the beta. Unlike Epic, Leo does not cut stuff :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:42 am 

Favourite OS
Windows XP Build 2600
Yeah, I tried hex-editing some of these files to load in UnrealED but to no avail. I just hope a full 1997 build can be leaked at some point so all this can be seen...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
Dan wrote:
Yeah, I tried hex-editing some of these files to load in UnrealED but to no avail. I just hope a full 1997 build can be leaked at some point so all this can be seen...

Well it sure likely has less chance to work in the 98 build, but the 97 demo leak has about same file structure, i guess changing the header would make it work, just pasting one of the old ones/replacing, without messing the file itself. YOu were able to enter longer strings into files before without corruption, so this is possible as well I suppose. Hell even hex hack of WOT map was possible to run on Unreal, casey did that for me to test and work upon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:41 pm 

Favourite OS
OS X 10.7
So the remake that you're doing, Leo, what exactly does it contain? :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
psychelicious wrote:
So the remake that you're doing, Leo, what exactly does it contain? :)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-re ... e-of-jrath

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:21 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
Leo and Delacroix, thank you very much for your effort. Hopefully, I can give something back sometime in the future for those of us who loved the original Unreal.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MAJOR UPDATE

Leo's most recent find is not just preservation of gaming history. It's a discovery, plain and simple. As it turns out, Cyberlore Studios, the team behind such hits as Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, Heroes of Might & Magic II: Price of Loyalty, Entomorph and Majesty also experimented with action gaming. Their later success with MechWarrior 4 expansion packs proves their competence in that regard, but at the time when they developed Emissary, they were completely green.

Initially, they planned to use the Build engine that fueled Duke Nukem 3D but made a risky decision of switching to Unreal Engine, which at the time was still in its infancy. Despite frequent and drastic changes Epic made when developing Unreal Engine, they still managed to create content... and it was high quality content. The developers paid a lot attention to detail. Unfortunately, in early 1998, due to budget cuts within GT Interactive, the game was cancelled before anybody announced it in the first place and so it disappeared in the darkness of oblivion.

Or not.

Those of you who obtained the X-COM: Alliance leak (or more specifically: the little archive Leo released with design docs and various other little treasures) may have discovered several text files authored by none other than Tim Sweeney. Within them, early licensees of Unreal Engine were mentioned (as well as some of their projects) and Cyberlore was among them. Leo then set out to find the people behind Emissary -- and his search has given fruit. One of the developers has provided two large archives with early Emissary content and although it wasn't the most recent they made, it's still pretty impressive. Better yet - there are several treasures linked directly to Unreal history contained within.

- several apps containing sample stuff already recovered with X-COM files.
- Unreal.ucx source that Leo managed to compile under May 1997 Unreal build.
- September 1997 Unreal build (no maps or textures from Unreal, but Unreal.ucx IS in, in its original, unmolested form!)
- An old version of Seti.s3m music file
- four files from 1996 -- two t3ds, one utx and one unr (the last two are totally unopenable by normal means, but work is being done in order to hex-edit-hack-out things off'em
- A file from March 1998 Unreal beta build. Unopenable by normal means, but who knows what code or other stuff we can hack out...
- A text file detailing planned features for the Unreal expansion pack. How much different is it from Unreal: Return to Na Pali!

However, Emissary content roster is much more breathtaking:

- design docs
- sound effects
- texture library
- models for weapons and monsters
- multiple pieces of code
- many maps in multiple versions

Should anyone want to take over the Emissary project and finish the game, significant effort would be required. However, regardless of whether someone chooses to perform this task or not, one thing is certain: Leo has once again done something incredible. He unearthed a title we wouldn't have found out by normal means. And, in a way, I had my role in it as well, albeit indirect -- if it weren't for my assistance in recovering X-COM: Alliance, we wouldn't receive Tim Sweeney's log file which led Leo to this.

The most important thing...

When will this be released to the public? Soon. Right now we would like to avoid scaring off any other Cyberlore people Leo may contact in the future. However, should there be no further findings in a couple months, you have my word: you'll have that build as it is.

In the meantime, please observe this image gallery, showcasing Cyberlore's work done on Emissary's maps.

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Now... as you can clearly see, Unreal guns were placed on some maps. And yes, they're (partially) functional. One map even has an enemy, that one comes from Emissary. So, there's a lot to see. However, the entire content is in alpha state, obviously. No real scripting or gameplay. Just bare-bones levels to wander around on.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Further updates from Leo, smaller:

- More screenies! This time in Glide.

http://nichten.info/~leo/unreal/misc/Emsscreens.rar
http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C ... creens.rar

My screenshots are in software rendering, therefore the lighting isn't colored (for some reason software back then could only do non-colored lights aside colored zones) and masked textures are not properly displayed too. See that green grate or windows you cannot see through? In Glide it displays correctly.

http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C ... omag97.bmp -- Example of 1997 AutoMag ('BetaMag') being there.
http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C ... ag96t7.bmp -- And now the same AutoMag, but with the older '96' skin that was left in the stuff from 0.86 (May)

- New skins!

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo ... PSKINS.rar

Since there were some player skins exclusive to version 0.87, Leo decided to export them out of there and import them to final Unreal. The process can easily be repeated when the build is out. All player skins are included, some are quite different.

In the November 1997 build as seen in the famed 'X-Mas trailer', those skins are actually seen sometimes. Also build 0.87 has the same krall skin as seen in that particular trailer, except it doesn't have the actual skin for the Elite Krall, which is the one that attacks you in the temple of Jrath (Morose.unr) after dropping down, together with two regular Krall, as seen in the 'X-Mas trailer'. But that skin is missing in the September build and both Krall and its Elite counterpart use same skin instead.

It would appear that '97 Elite Krall skin is the only Krall skin we're missing currently, as it is also present on many screenshots (that really dark skin). And then there was also the Krall Lord skin seen in one screenshot, but being very similar to this one - only a bit different in color. So in total we have 7 different Krall skins:
- The DarkAngel skin from 97 test demo (full ucx stuff), which is actually late 96 skin,
- the regular Krall skin from 97 test demo,
- the september 97 skin which also appeared in many screenshots and the 97 trailer (the uv maps are same as the test demo Krall though so it won't fit on 98 Kralls at all sadly),
- then the February 98 beta two skins
- and two final Unreal skins.

Hurt me plenty, are these Krall really banging like rabbits or something? They certainly *multiply* like ones!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
Hey guys,

Looks like you have been busy and are kicking serious ass. Well done. Shame I didn't run into you guys sooner. I just finished up some serious personal tasks. Very intense and time consuming. If the mods don't mind, I can provide updates for the Unrealed replacement I'm working on. Technically, it's replacing a beta editor ;D. I've tested it on various "Unreal Engine 1" games with various amounts of success. Each game has its own quirks and what not.

As far as the Unreal pre-release research goes, I have a large amount of information. I just have to find a place to document it. Like a wiki or something like that.

==Edit==

By the way, I've also researched the various problems with the Visual Basic Unrealed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
By the way, the 1998 beta contains packages that are of various revisions. One of these packages is the "broken" Foundry map. I forget what revision it is, but once rebuilt the version is updated. This is probably why it won't run until it has been rebuilt.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:02 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
As with any user interface, there is still prototyping work taking place. The texture browser works without issue. The reason why the width of the Unrealed texture browser could not be resized was that it would crash the engine is the width went below a certain level. I can browse all packages registered with the engine. Rune and Unreal have some kind of defect with the manner in which they handle the texture viewport. A package group will show, but won't be accessible.

The class browser works. A trick was used to keep it responsive. Without this trick, the browser is very slow. The ability to toggle between Object and Actor works and is also very responsive.

The sound browser works as well. You can browse the various groups within a package and double click the sound name to play it. You'll also notice some activity on the left hand side. I'm trying to figure out how to consolidate the tool interactivity into one area. Like building brushes, statistics and things out that nature. I'm even thinking about implementing a timer to track how long the builds take.

Generally speaking, the viewports work with any issue. Even the audio plays in the real time view. Wheel of Time has some viewport issues though. Clicking on a particle actor crashes the engine. It is an engine bug and there is nothing I can do about it. There is a work around though.

I've implemented the Unreal Script brush generators as well. What I mean is that I implemented the code to support the scripting syntax of the scripted brush builders. Obviously, I don't have direct access to the scripting system so this system will use Qt Script. Both languages are derivatives of ECMA anyways. Yes, I've tested them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
This is the so called terrain brush that was introduced in Unrealed 2.0 if I'm not mistaken. Well, now you can use it in this editor. As you can see, the texture coordinates are screwed up. It still needs a tiny bit of work.

This is Qt Creator with the editor project loaded. You're looking at the code which produced the brush in the above image. The Unreal Script code was ported to C++. This is possible because I implemented an internal mechanism to support it. It can be exposed to the Qt scripting system which means it can also be exposed to Python.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
Well to correct Delacroix's post, (otherwise everything is fine), there is one more krall skin in existance we know of and that's the one on the various magazines, like the pc games unreal preview second page, but the skin is almost ame as the september one, except krall's chest is not decorated and he has smaller eyes and some color differences and that's about it. But for example the DarkAngel skin or the May 97 skin was never shown in any preview screenshot, so who knows how many more skins there were in existence, :P The DarkAngel skin in particular is a bit interesting one, because it seems to actually emphasize on some of Krall features that are not present in the later versions of very vague. His buttocks are clearly detailed to name an example and there even appears to be a bit of cloaka or something like that, or hint of it at least and his silver armor on the chest has nipples(don't mention the batsuit from Batman and Robin lol), but it can also be because the style of the armor etc is more greek
like. However I do find it amusing a bit. All of these features were largely gone later or only hinted at, the 97 may regular krall skin has no clothing or armor, but the "manly" features are less apparent there and the skin is more grim and dark, altough he still has nipples, but the buttocks are not that apparent even though they still are and there's only a little sing of anything else.

Also the batset map, maybe you can lod it in your editor CommanderCoffee, the format is largely similar to the 95 maps. Or even help exporting textures because all the attempts weren't that precise so far and alcapowned would have a lots of work with it and applying the correct pallete.
I posted this at BUF:
"
Also, seti, batset, are misspells of egyptian gods set(h) and bastet, to begin with. There's still a chance for the 96 beta to be found, be it the original leak or anything else though. Except we have no guarantee the actual leak would open the batset map but who knows. Also one thing I wanted to say about the 97 stuff is that there was no distinction between bot and playerpawn, the bots and playerpawn are same class, if player is possesing the pawn, the AI functions are not active but if player is actually not connected bot takes place, this is very interesting though. And the bot AI is even better than in the 98
beta it seems, the ai attitudes work too, if you set them to friendly.
"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
Rather than spamming the forums, I will just provide an entire archive of my research. Please check the 'ReadMe' in the archive. You will need EssentialPIM to view the database. They offer a free version and this is what I used to create the database. Also included is the editor with which the above screenshots were made. There is a compiled binary that depends on Qt 4.8 32-bit. Place the binary in the system directory and then run it. Ensure that you installed Qt correctly i.e. added it to the system path. It works with the Steam version of Unreal Gold with no issues. The editor is not even close to being done.

Have fun!

http://depositfiles.com/files/m2g8u5xxc

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
Cannot download from there(anythig that relies on javascript and similar is a problem here) and I would need to get qt and everything probably too. But I will ask someone else to reupload it so I can grab it directly elsewhere. However I would like to know if its possible for you to open batset with this etc, before I am able to get all that and running.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
Ok I got the file, but the main problem is installing qt, the installation is so damn large, and i dont want to keep it around, can you tell me which libraries are absolutely needed so i can get rid of the rest from my system? I am really trying to save up on space, thanks.
I hope you will somehow later get it to be able to run without qt at all. I am glad for all your research but it is a bit of pain to have qt installed for me, even compared to visual basic. The thing is 1.1 GB large after extraction.
Edit: Installed qt but it won't run still. What should I do? Do I need to copy all the libraries from bin? I just did that, but it still doesn't run.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
OK, I extracted all textures and sounds from the unreal.ucx from the September 97 build that Emissary runs on.
It took some time, especially with the sounds since they were in .ufx format. Also .ufx format had several post edit sample settings, even pitch randomizer and stuff so you didnt need to reandomize pitch in uscript, it was mostly used with some of the 96 leftover sounds, like the automag for example so it didnt always sound the same but that gets lost during the export.
All links here:
texextracts97sep.rar - the textures, skins
97SFXsep.rar - sounds
96leftoversfx.rar the 96 leftover sounds found in the unreal sound maker tool for making ufx sounds
Enjoy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I read about unreal's alpha back on tcrf.net i think, it's really interesting.

D3DERR_MATERIAL_SETDATA_FAILED

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
windows 7
the early pics certainly remind me some quake screen lol is very familiar,glad they totally change it

and the projet of leo seems so awesome

also one guy in ut2004 make a mod wich remade completely all the maps(weapons,monster all all all) of u1,the extentions and some originals maps

if i remembers is u1tout2k4 the name of the mod

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next