BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 11h, 55m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 5504MB of 12007MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:51 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
Alright, i expected that, so it's not like the "sample" consists of the full song if you extract the sample, right?

EDIT: In that case warmoddities couldn't have extracted it from queensong and that russian iso still must exist then.

There was also a news about an exclusive level regarding UT on ut99.org, the level was later released separately by Rogelio Olguin and he apparently thought it was never released, so the original level might still be different...

https://ut99.org/./viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13221

But people apparently had trouble getting it out of the exe file. Still not 100 percent confirmed if it was the bestbuy stuff or not as this came from yet another edition of UT.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm 

Add a registry key:
HKLM\Software\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UnrealTournament

Add a string value called "Folder", set it to wherever you wanna extract the map. (I set it to C:\FakeUT)

Run the installer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 pm 

Found a preview on Gamestar.de, but you have to pay in order to gain access to these videos etc.

https://www.gamestar.de/videos/unreal-t ... 76849.html

It looks like a "new" video for me at least. The other gamerstar video is also on the page which is already on YouTube.

Has anyone seen it yet?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
yrex wrote:
Add a registry key:

Add a string value called "Folder", set it to wherever you wanna extract the map. (I set it to C:\FakeUT)

Run the installer.

Can you check if the level is different than the one on unrealarchives and if so, upload it? I don't have time to do the switcheroo, as I'll be leaving, this is simply for the public to have the level as it was on the CD.

GamesHarder: I can't view that preview even. It's possible its different but can you upload it elsewhere, on dropbox or something.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:48 am 

I can't view the video either. I have to pay for it to be a "paid-user".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
What about the preview? Can you download that, if it has in browser interface perhaps right click on the video save as...etc most sites do support that in practice.

EDIT: I mean preview of the video, but perhaps I misunderstood, I guess they mean Unreal preview as a whole, so you can't like view a preview of a preview, can you? If yes then upload that please.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:54 pm 

I tried many things but I couldn't watch it.
The only thing is the thumbnail

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:05 pm 

LEOTCK wrote:
yrex wrote:
Add a registry key:

Run the installer.

Can you check if the level is different than the one on unrealarchives and if so, upload it? I don't have time to do the switcheroo, as I'll be leaving, this is simply for the public to have the level as it was on the CD.

They're the same.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
That's interesting, I wonder if someone's willing to pay to get that video from gamestar, how much do they ask lol?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:33 pm 

4.99 euros for a month and you get access to like almost everything :d

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:37 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows '98
Hmmm... That's not that much. I'm willing to pay. Wonder if they accept my card. xD

5 euros for a month? We could pretty much save everything Unreal-releated in that month.

Last edited by makemeunreal on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:38 pm 

There is also a UT Preview (which is also a paid content..)

https://www.gamestar.de/videos/unreal-t ... 76942.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:28 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows '98
Here's a picture from an old Tim Sweeney interview depicting UNREAL.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:11 pm 

There is a slightly better version of that SkyTown pic

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
I suppose it hasn't been talked about here, but the last batch of Circle stuff that isn't public and happened while I was abroad, contains a ton of .MAX files that haven't been converted yet. It needs an old version of 3dsmax and I did give it to Bryan at some point as I believed he would use it in combination with some tools to convert the models, but unfortunately Bryan left Unreal after being frustrated with someone holding an old beta of Unreal and he refused to participate further in anything Unreal related,
ultimately also ending our friendship after some dispute, which really pains me.

So, if anyone's up for the job, please contact me as it might be the last piece of Circle material that needs some processing.
EDIT: Just in case it's not clear, this reuires 3dsmax 1. something, so really old version, I can supply this version somehow perhaps, but I do have trouble uploading some stuff now, last time it knocked out the ethernet adapter. I did give this to Bryan last time around and I know he'd be able to run it using his collected machines but...*shrugs*
There's the convert.exe from the old tools for instance which converts dxf frames into 3d for Unreal, etcetera.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
KHAN
So, I guess nothing solid came out of this then yet, so I hope someone who knows what he's doing can do it. All it requires is old machine or virtual one, the old 3dsmax (I could only up it in parts to an ftp, I am not accepting "uploading it to mega").

And then using one of the old tools to convert or converting inside 3dsmax. There is no direct max to 3d or obj converter so that needs to be done first. DXF and BJ can then be easily converted into Unreal.

Either way, a week ago I tried to get hld of someone who seemed to have had the old unreal lobby map and possibly more, but it's unlikely he has backups or left it with his university.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:48 pm 

Okay, so I figured out that this is SkyCaves

And this is Foundry :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:35 am 

Favourite OS
Windows '98
LEOTCK wrote:
So, I guess nothing solid came out of this then yet, so I hope someone who knows what he's doing can do it. All it requires is old machine or virtual one, the old 3dsmax (I could only up it in parts to an ftp, I am not accepting "uploading it to mega").

And then using one of the old tools to convert or converting inside 3dsmax. There is no direct max to 3d or obj converter so that needs to be done first. DXF and BJ can then be easily converted into Unreal.

Either way, a week ago I tried to get hld of someone who seemed to have had the old unreal lobby map and possibly more, but it's unlikely he has backups or left it with his university.

Any news on the lobby stuff?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:50 pm 

LEOTCK wrote:
I suppose it hasn't been talked about here, but the last batch of Circle stuff that isn't public and happened while I was abroad, contains a ton of .MAX files that haven't been converted yet. It needs an old version of 3dsmax and I did give it to Bryan at some point as I believed he would use it in combination with some tools to convert the models, but unfortunately Bryan left Unreal after being frustrated with someone holding an old beta of Unreal and he refused to participate further in anything Unreal related,
ultimately also ending our friendship after some dispute, which really pains me.

So, if anyone's up for the job, please contact me as it might be the last piece of Circle material that needs some processing.
EDIT: Just in case it's not clear, this reuires 3dsmax 1. something, so really old version, I can supply this version somehow perhaps, but I do have trouble uploading some stuff now, last time it knocked out the ethernet adapter. I did give this to Bryan last time around and I know he'd be able to run it using his collected machines but...*shrugs*
There's the convert.exe from the old tools for instance which converts dxf frames into 3d for Unreal, etcetera.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Unreal back story Epic went with was based on The Circle. The original story doesn't seem to be present at all in any aspect of the commercial edition of Unreal or any add-on product.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:14 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 9x
I know that I had left the Unreal community for a while, but now I recently returned when I had the ideas with Neural AI upscaling tools.

While I began working on upscaling Unreal textures (including beta ones) I upscaled a couple of Unreal logos if anyone's interested.

Unreal 0.83/0.84 Logo
Unreal 0.86 Logo
Unreal Logo from Epic's website in 1996
Unreal Logo used from mid-1997 to feb 1998.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:33 am 

Neeat! I could use those for a project. Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:03 pm 

Well, finally makemeunreal and me recovered that beta preview from Gamestar.
Nothing really interesting besides that it shows Cryox and Nexus.
(See my MEGA folder if you want a little bit better quality:p)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 am 
FTP Access

That Gamestar Preview looks and sounds really close to the February 1998 beta. It's even got the incorrect stereo panning to the right.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:29 pm 

Found something interesting on a site which belonged to Shane
There's 2 pictures of a Dragon

Image Image

That's gotta be the head of that statue in Ruins

The page:
http://web.archive.org/web/199903021013 ... domain.htm

Also there are some photos of an Egypt map from Quake and had a download link, EGYPT.ZIP but it doesn't work anymore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 pm 

So I managed to find a better quality of that SkyCity picture with that strange altar

It turns out that its name is Ionos9

It's from the 1997 PC Zone magazine, in the 48th issue.
https://archive.org/details/PC_Zone_48_ ... 7/page/n47

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next