BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 16h, 39m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5706MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Posts
36

Favourite OS
Windows XP Build 2600
+1 to everything Leo just said. This is why we can't have nice things godamnit.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:19 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Posts
197

Location
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Favourite OS
<3 Windows 10 <3
http://nostalgia.poweredbylasers.com/ca ... &gameNo=17

_________________
[t] | Half-Life build list | Making 404 200 - need your help!
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:05 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Posts
1093

Location
UK

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
Old stuff. I'm pretty sure the majority that have looked around have already come across that site.

_________________
Lead Programmer @ OldTimes Software
Administrator @ TalonBrave.info; The Dedicated Video-Games Archive


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:22 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Posts
36

Favourite OS
Windows XP Build 2600
SiPlus wrote:
http://nostalgia.poweredbylasers.com/categories_template.php?global_page=originals&gameNo=17


I've already seen the majority of those screenshots before, but some were new to me. Good share anyway :)
I got in touch with someone who beta tested Unreal back in the day but he seems to have gone off the radar (Stopped replying to my messages)
Shane Caudle himself told me he had a Hard Drive crash back then so he lost a lot of his own content :(


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:32 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Posts
197

Location
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Favourite OS
<3 Windows 10 <3
http://web.archive.org/web/199904200828 ... mag74.html

_________________
[t] | Half-Life build list | Making 404 200 - need your help!
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:24 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Posts
1093

Location
UK

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
Shame the SiN and Prey screens are missing.

_________________
Lead Programmer @ OldTimes Software
Administrator @ TalonBrave.info; The Dedicated Video-Games Archive


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:04 am

Posts
16

Favourite OS
whisler
I love this game but I sell it because of my children


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:58 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Posts
478

Favourite OS
KHAN
I am still trying to get hold of some of the originals for level porting, got some more leads, but nobody responding lately as well.

However if you want to hunt the already once leaked files you are free to. Apparently the Unreal level and monster preview was this,

ROR-UNL2.ZIP UNREAL ALPHA LEVELS PREVIEW (C) EPIC [02/04]
ROR-UNL3.ZIP UNREAL ALPHA LEVELS PREVIEW (C) EPIC [03/04]
ROR-UNL4.ZIP UNREAL ALPHA LEVELS PREVIEW (C) EPIC [04/04]
ROR-UNRM.ZIP UNREAL ALPHA MONSTERS PREVIEW (C) EPIC [1/1]

And the other betas probbaly having unr in it too, I beleive one of them was named just Unreal-03.zip

The Release on rampage was frowned upon back then, because they often leaked beta releases and in the warez scene people wanted final games and were not much interested in these. Kind of weird, but that is how it was, well of course the leaks were pretty bad news for the developers especially befopre the game was released, but still there must be someone who has to have these as well and I was able to dig up some old dicussions from where people mentioned these leaks and talked about, so it was known in those circles apparently.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:47 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Posts
197

Location
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Favourite OS
<3 Windows 10 <3
hogsy wrote:
Shame the SiN and Prey screens are missing.

Offtopic Comment
Some SiN screenshots (months are in Russian in KOI8-R codepage): http://www.quake.spb.ru/pics/3daction/sin/


And Unreal screenshots (months are in Russian in KOI8-R too): http://www.quake.spb.ru/pics/3daction/unreal/
You can go to parent directory, there are many screenshots for many games. Quake.spb.ru was one of most popular Russian Quake sites, expect many content on it.

_________________
[t] | Half-Life build list | Making 404 200 - need your help!
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Posts
7
@siplus

thanks for that link, good site.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:29 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sat May 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Posts
8

Favourite OS
OS X 10.7
So, I went to https://sites.google.com/site/richardmoust/files and saw to my excitement that this Unreal 97 version was there, but of course the file wasn't there - did anyone have the chance to download it?
However, the unreal97screens file is there, and has all screenshots from all those amazing levels that we were tempted with back in 96/97 - the question is if these correspond to the Unreal97 file (55 mb) ?

Psych

EDIT: I see now that the package is available elsewhere, but I do still wonder if it has anything to do with the said screenshots?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:41 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Posts
394

Favourite OS
Win7
psychelicious wrote:
So, I went to https://sites.google.com/site/richardmoust/files and saw to my excitement that this Unreal 97 version was there, but of course the file wasn't there - did anyone have the chance to download it?


check this post on the 2nd page:

viewtopic.php?p=244816#p244816

_________________
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:33 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Posts
36

Favourite OS
Windows XP Build 2600
Just to clear up any confusion, the only actual betas available to the public are:

Unreal 1995 Alpha
Unreal 1998 Beta


Both of these are available at http://hyper.dnsalias.net

There are other "Shareware" versions of Unreal, but these are based on already-complete code, so they don't contain anything older than Unreal's release.

The most recent leak is the "Not-Meant-For-Public", Unreal 1997 Alpha. This is the one that Leo discovered.

Anything else that might be even remotely beta related should really be disregarded unless It's an actual build of the game. Pretty much all screenshots/movies of older versions of Unreal have already been discovered/leaked.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:38 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sat May 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Posts
8

Favourite OS
OS X 10.7
Dan wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion, the only actual betas available to the public are:

Unreal 1995 Alpha
Unreal 1998 Beta


Both of these are available at http://hyper.dnsalias.net

There are other "Shareware" versions of Unreal, but these are based on already-complete code, so they don't contain anything older than Unreal's release.

The most recent leak is the "Not-Meant-For-Public", Unreal 1997 Alpha. This is the one that Leo discovered.

Anything else that might be even remotely beta related should really be disregarded unless It's an actual build of the game. Pretty much all screenshots/movies of older versions of Unreal have already been discovered/leaked.


I'm mostly curious about the screenshots I've posted on page two of this thread.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:45 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Posts
36

Favourite OS
Windows XP Build 2600
psychelicious wrote:
I'm mostly curious about the screenshots I've posted on page two of this thread.


They're all from early 1997. The 1997 build we have is clearly a stripped down version, so it can be classed as a Tech Demo really instead of an Alpha. Proof of this is in the fact that the Unreal.UCX file was missing, along with other .mac and .ucx files. Imports in the code also indicate that sound files should be present too, but they're not.

There are loads of other screenshots in a similar level-style to this with full working HUD, weapons (Stinger, Automag, Quadshot, Eightball) and monsters too. This further proves the fact that the recent 1997 leak was nothing more than a tech demo with most assets ripped out.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:26 am

Posts
23

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
Let's see. Where to begin?

The 1995 Unreal alpha was originally distributed within four separate zip files and came with an installer. At one time, I had these zip files but they are long gone. From what I can remember, I did a comparison and did not find anything unique. What you have now is what was within those four zip files.

Yes, you can edit levels within 1995 alpha build. You can also walk around the level while editing. You could also do the same with the retail Unreal if you adjusted the camera actor. It wasn't the same though. I'm absolutely exhausted right now so I'll keep it short until I wake up.

MAP LOAD NAME=MAP FILE=..\MAPS\CLIFF.UNR
MAP EDIT=TRUE
MODE MOVEACTOR
MAP REBUILD
LIGHT APPLY

With regards to the 1998 Unreal beta, it has problems now that it did not have when it first leaked. At least, this is the conclusion that I came to after browsing oldunreal.com. You probably won't believe how it was actually leaked. Then again, maybe you will.

There is an infamous bug in the 1998 beta. When you walk out of the ventilation shaft in Vortex Rikers, when the ambient music begins, your speakers will explode into a storm of white noise. It only happens when you run Unreal with a chip that doesn't have MMX. Well, I think that's what caused the bug. At the time, it completely got my goat.

A number of these "broken" levels only have to be rebuilt within the editor. Load them up and do not move the camera. Just immediately rebuild the map. I suspect that these levels were corrupted due to the manner in which the beta was leaked.

Take a few moments and think about this. When this beta leaked, there was no information available on how to use the editor. The manner in which the levels were edited was unlike anything else out back then. It was figured out using only trial and error and a statement made during a particular interview where an "old skooler" was given assisted access to the editor during a trade show. The world is solid and you carve out the game space. Sigh. Everything was figured out except the movers.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:51 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Posts
36

Favourite OS
Windows XP Build 2600
CommanderCoffee wrote:
Let's see. Where to begin?

The 1995 Unreal alpha was originally distributed within four separate zip files and came with an installer. At one time, I had these zip files but they are long gone. From what I can remember, I did a comparison and did not find anything unique. What you have now is what was within those four zip files.

Yes, you can edit levels within 1995 alpha build. You can also walk around the level while editing. You could also do the same with the retail Unreal if you adjusted the camera actor. It wasn't the same though. I'm absolutely exhausted right now so I'll keep it short until I wake up.

MAP LOAD NAME=MAP FILE=..\MAPS\CLIFF.UNR
MAP EDIT=TRUE
MODE MOVEACTOR
MAP REBUILD
LIGHT APPLY

With regards to the 1998 Unreal beta, it has problems now that it did not have when it first leaked. At least, this is the conclusion that I came to after browsing oldunreal.com. You probably won't believe how it was actually leaked. Then again, maybe you will.

There is an infamous bug in the 1998 beta. When you walk out of the ventilation shaft in Vortex Rikers, when the ambient music begins, your speakers will explode into a storm of white noise. It only happens when you run Unreal with a chip that doesn't have MMX. Well, I think that's what caused the bug. At the time, it completely got my goat.

A number of these "broken" levels only have to be rebuilt within the editor. Load them up and do not move the camera. Just immediately rebuild the map. I suspect that these levels were corrupted due to the manner in which the beta was leaked.


Woah...editing the maps in realtime..that's insane!Can you move things/add actors too?

How was the original '98 beta leaked?

EDIT: I've found I can move a brush and add and subtract them. I can also pick textures from walls and assign them to other surfaces!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:01 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:26 am

Posts
23

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
The 1998 beta leaked in Canada. For some reason I may have confused that event with the ECTS trade show. It may have been that the build of Unreal presented at ECTS, was the build that was leaked in Canada.

Mark Rein installed it on a machine and then deleted it. Someone then recovered it, or undeleted it. You have to keep in mind that this was 1997/1998. These tools weren't like they were today.

If you install the original Unreal (retail cd 1998), without applying any patch, you can load the beta packages with the retail editor. You can then save them and they can be used with later revisions.

Foundry is one of these "broken" maps. Just load it into the editor and rebuild. I just tested it and it worked.

I'll speak with some guy I know and get him to discuss these builds.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:42 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Posts
478

Favourite OS
KHAN
That's interesting, how do you know that stuff? I know it was leaked by a certain group, which I forgot its name now (was able to trace down some text files regarding to that). I am not really active here but I was notified by Gizzy before that there was update to this discussion.

edit: 3dfxwarez & warezHQ were the groups or so it appears


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:30 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:26 am

Posts
23

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (x64) openSUSE
LEOTCK wrote:
That's interesting, how do you know that stuff? I know it was leaked by a certain group, which I forgot its name now (was able to trace down some text files regarding to that). I am not really active here but I was notified by Gizzy before that there was update to this discussion.

edit: 3dfxwarez & warezHQ were the groups or so it appears


The Unreal beta that was compiled in February of 1998 was not originally leaked by a warez group. I happen to find the 1995 alpha on the Internet, and if I remember correctly, a geocities webpage. Like you, I wanted to absolutely ensure that I had the complete release and this is how I found the four zip files. This was back in 1997. There was an nfo that stated it was a Team ROR release. I believe that was the name of the group.

More importantly, is what these early revisions were capable of. This was BEFORE Quake. If you check various screen shots, the window decoration is Windows 3.1. I've run the 1995 tech demo under windows 3.1 on a 486 with the Win32 runtimes.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:39 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Posts
478

Favourite OS
KHAN
Yes, the geocities page was this I think:
http://www.starbacks.ca/Area51/Capsule/5482/old.html

There were three releases by ROR though. Unreal levels preview(four part, which I guess is this tech demo), Unreal monsters preview(one part, from 95 or early 96) and Unreal Beta with UnrealEd (1996).

Then there was another 97 release, this time not by ROR as they ceased to exist and then the 98 beta and that's all I believe that was leaked. But the three releases are lost to this day anyway, the old monsters preview, the 96 beta and 97 one (unless the 97 one is that recently releaked tech demo with the models only).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:55 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sat May 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Posts
8

Favourite OS
OS X 10.7
Dan wrote:
psychelicious wrote:
I'm mostly curious about the screenshots I've posted on page two of this thread.


They're all from early 1997. The 1997 build we have is clearly a stripped down version, so it can be classed as a Tech Demo really instead of an Alpha. Proof of this is in the fact that the Unreal.UCX file was missing, along with other .mac and .ucx files. Imports in the code also indicate that sound files should be present too, but they're not.

There are loads of other screenshots in a similar level-style to this with full working HUD, weapons (Stinger, Automag, Quadshot, Eightball) and monsters too. This further proves the fact that the recent 1997 leak was nothing more than a tech demo with most assets ripped out.



Oh man, I would LOVE if this ever saw the light of day. I still remember those days in late 96, drooling over these screenshots.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:27 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Posts
1
Old unreal content including models:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lch5ph7a1zbfeji

Early code/models of Unreal Tournament:
http://www.mediafire.com/?t6p99qirc79su3b


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:14 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Posts
478

Favourite OS
KHAN
Shato_Max wrote:
Old unreal content including models:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lch5ph7a1zbfeji

Early code/models of Unreal Tournament:
http://www.mediafire.com/?t6p99qirc79su3b

Who are you? You grabbed those files from my ftp space at unrealtexture, do I know you? But probably not since you didn't mention me. Are you guys seriously spying that fast on whenever I upload?

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost ... stcount=79 that is the news source by the way.


Last edited by LEOTCK on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Unreal 1 Development History        Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:16 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sat May 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Posts
8

Favourite OS
OS X 10.7
What's your site Leo? And also, what are these files?


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2019

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS