BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 3h, 3m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5429MB of 11735MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:27 am 
Donator

I'm never for adding rules, more rules restrict discussion, but somthing needs to be done about people selling Technet and MSDN accounts.
Microsoft doesn't permit the selling of these accounts, and the people buying them are being ripped off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
And to add.

All Technet and MSDN accounts are PERSONALLY bound to you and you're e-mailadress, selling these are ILLEGAL as it gets.

It says in the EULA.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
I'll second that request, i know for a fact, that there is allready alot of problems with people calling into MS about a technet/msdn that they have "bought" from a 3th. party.

If people wanna sell, fine.. do it on a site that handels sales etc. - such as Ebay etc. - my fear is, that it might end up reflecting back badly on BA.

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
leonbollerup wrote:
I'll second that request, i know for a fact, that there is allready alot of problems with people calling into MS about a technet/msdn that they have "bought" from a 3th. party.

If people wanna sell, fine.. do it on a site that handels sales etc. - such as Ebay etc. - my fear is, that it might end up reflecting back badly on BA.

And there is just a sign-up for selling those accounts.
The first post he made was about selling it for $ 130.

Which is less then 1/2 of the original, suggestion that it is just an account for IT Promomentum.

Andy I strongly suggest you remove those topics, warning the persons who posted it and making a rule of not selling those.

The forums description is already:
Sell, Buy, Trade and link to your eBay items in this forum.

Also:
CD Keys cannot be sold on their own. A license sticker must be provided otherwise there is no proof of ownership.

With technet you do not get an license sticker.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
As to the CD Key selling, there is some "special rules".

1. OEM keys may ONLY be sold together with the org. product
2. Retail keys have to be sold together with sticker _OR_ a Microsoft "new key" mail that we sent out if a customer have lost the key.

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Add:
You can request key's at Technet but they are only displayed online, nothing is send, no sticker or {e-}mail.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 am 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
Which is less then 1/2 of the original, suggestion that it is just an account for IT Promomentum.

Exactly, which means these people are selling somthing they got for free, to people who could more than likely get it for free themselves.

Wonder when Microsoft will catch on and what they'l do about it.
Can't the people at IT Pro Momentum tell when the associated Technet subscription is transfered to another e-mail, especially when its clearly a different person...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Just deactive the subscription and reactivate at the other e-mailaccount that is how you transfer it.

But it is permitted by Microsoft to do that, so you can easly {re}sell the account without that Microsoft is suspicious.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 am 
FTP Access

J.Byrne wrote:
DjRob wrote:

Exactly, which means these people are selling somthing they got for free, to people who could more than likely get it for free themselves....

Very true. It is totaly immoral that they should be making money out of such a free privilige.

I can be worse. The publishing og keys obtained through such facilities, or through googling and finding keys posted by hackers, is also irritating. I was a Vista (subsequently 7 ) beta tester. As a hobby, I love to browse the help forums and assist where I am able. During the Vista saga, I came across a thread where 5 of my "unique" keys had been posted. I was P**sed off and contacted MS. What they did about it, I have no idea, but they did give me some more keys.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:16 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I 100% agree with you on this subject, and I will be putting in a new rule regarding it. I already reserve the right to close topics like this should I not agree with the item on sale, but there are a fair number of these accounts being sold and it has to stop. I'll be talking with mrpijey about the best way to implement the new rule. The topics will remain for now, but when the new rule is brought into effect all topics in question will be locked.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:17 pm 
Donator

Awesome.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:26 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Maybe you should allow selling that kind of stuff only in the VIP section....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:31 pm 
Donator

I thought we had different rules in the VIP section anyway...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:01 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
I 100% agree with you on this subject, and I will be putting in a new rule regarding it. I already reserve the right to close topics like this should I not agree with the item on sale, but there are a fair number of these accounts being sold and it has to stop. I'll be talking with mrpijey about the best way to implement the new rule. The topics will remain for now, but when the new rule is brought into effect all topics in question will be locked.

There isn't any "best way to implement the new rule" lol... just do it already before you get PM's going "omg andy i got ripped off on your site fix it or ill sue!!1"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:07 pm 
FTP Access

happy dude wrote:
Andy wrote:

There isn't any "best way to implement the new rule" lol... just do it already before you get PM's going "omg andy i got ripped off on your site fix it or ill sue!!1"

I agree. The sooner, the better. Topics can always be re-opened.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:31 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
Andy wrote:

Just goes to show how little you know about running a forum then doesn't it. Sure I can just write the rule and be done with it, but its not that simple. I have to think about what sort of limits to put in place, whether I'm going to allow it in VIP or not, what we're going to do with old topics, how the wording will look on the rule itself... As always, you don't look at the big picture do you.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:58 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
happy dude wrote:
Andy wrote:

Just goes to show how little you know about running a forum then doesn't it. Sure I can just write the rule and be done with it, but its not that simple. I have to think about what sort of limits to put in place, whether I'm going to allow it in VIP or not, what we're going to do with old topics, how the wording will look on the rule itself... As always, you don't look at the big picture do you.

I think what he's trying to get at is you could temporarily close the topics in question now and then do the rules. After doing the rules, you could go back and re-evaluate whether you feel the thread should be closed or not. Kind of as a "quick fix" until you get it sorted out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:16 am 
Donator

Ambig wrote:
I think what he's trying to get at is you could temporarily close the topics in question now and then do the rules. After doing the rules, you could go back and re-evaluate whether you feel the thread should be closed or not. Kind of as a "quick fix" until you get it sorted out.

Pretty much, Ambig.

Should have made it clear so Andy wouldn't be freaking out yet again. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:00 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Then make it clear so people don't get the wrong picture... Sheesh...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:58 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
Then make it clear so people don't get the wrong picture... Sheesh...

Offtopic Comment
Eh, I was half asleep. Anyway...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Rule Suggestion: No Selling Technet or MSDN accounts.        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:26 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Here we go: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8610

Top  Profile  WWW