BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 18h, 47m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5611MB of 10646MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:38 pm 
Donator

Is it just me or is it that I see more noobs trying to get betas by "posting" betas we already have?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:49 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
it's not just you, I think they may not have heard that you can't get into the advanced members group by posting common betas

Offtopic Comment
i wonder if these files have been modified, or have any identifier as to where they originated from

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I already responded to it by telling him, that he could be an advance member by doing proper discussion here: http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8058

Last edited by Day2Die on Sun May 24, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I do think there seems to be a misconception among newer users that the best way to get Advanced membership is through posting links to betas. This is not the case. I think that maybe we need to put across the idea that basic discussion is a more favourable alternative. It doesn't need to even be anything in-depth that requires a significant amount of knowledge prior, the best posts are generally ones that express someone's opinions as opposed to facts, as long as those opinions are backed up by constructive thoughts.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
hounsell wrote:
I do think there seems to be a misconception among newer users that the best way to get Advanced membership is through posting links to betas. This is not the case. I think that maybe we need to put across the idea that basic discussion is a more favourable alternative. It doesn't need to even be anything in-depth that requires a significant amount of knowledge prior, the best posts are generally ones that express someone's opinions as opposed to facts, as long as those opinions are backed up by constructive thoughts.

I totally agree with that. I will quote myself from another topic:
Day2Die wrote:
Well, I am assuming that you want to be an advance member. You don't have to necessary post 10 betas that we don't have. You could, for example, engaged in a conversation about Intel being fined, on our website. (Note: this is old news) Just as long as it is not a "wow", "gee", "I agree". If you say, "I personally believe that Intel should be fine 100 billions," for example, it could be count as a contributing post as long as it is on topic and not off topic.

We should, perhaps, post a list of all the betas we have, so if they DO have betas that we don't have, they can just post those instead of just posting all that they have.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:24 am 
Administrator

Yeah, originally Andy and I were opposed the idea, but since the FTP is fairly public anyway I don't it would be any problem really to make, say the FTP log, public or something. But I'll discuss that with Andy first, so don't make any lists anywhere... But for now there's no chance for new members to check what we got before uploading stuff, so we have to live with this.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:28 am 
Donator

How about making a file for anyone to view with what has already been uploaded?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 am 
Donator

Andy used to have a link to the list of files on the FTP in his sig many a year ago so I can't see why this is a problem now?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:56 am 
Donator

Quote:
Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?

Overall the quality of posting and discussion has started to slide.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:12 am 
Donator

J.Byrne wrote:
Quote:
Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?

I'd say its heading the way of the global economy.

It's sliding and only going to go down more

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:16 am 
Administrator

happy dude wrote:
Andy used to have a link to the list of files on the FTP in his sig many a year ago so I can't see why this is a problem now?

Yeah, well it will be discussed to see what can be done.

J.Byrne wrote:

happy dude wrote:
I'd say its heading the way of the global economy.

It's sliding and only going to go down more

Remember that all members are part of the forum, thus also part of the problem AND the solution. If "better" posts are made then better responses will be made, raising the quality of the thread. There's an endless debate regarding this, some thinks this forum is run too hard, some thinks it's too soft. We can't have it both ways mind you... We can either push the forum into requiring "less dumb" posts, but then some will complain yet again that Andy runs the site too tight (remember, there are two admins now, so decisions are not made at Andy's whim). And remember this is not a forum only for "teh 31137", but also for the noobies that just got into betas.

It's a very difficult balance to maintain. Personally I'd like both a much more technical oriented part of the forum (i.e Microsoft's technet class), and still let the new ones chat on the simpler topics. But as I said, it's easier said than done.

So members can't just sit here whining that things are bad since they contribute to the decline themselves then. Make better posts then...

Any ideas for improving quality are appreciated...

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:28 am 
Donator

Speaking of "1337" type nonsense, could the status, whatever status I have, "1337 Beta Collector" be changed to somthing less... "1337"

Happy Dude: Uncle Kevin and Uncle Swan say the economy will get better soon, within two years, and I trust them, they are smart, intelligent, wise men who are worthy of the positions they were elected into.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:57 pm 
Donator

J.Byrne wrote:
Speaking of "1337" type nonsense, could the status, whatever status I have, "1337 Beta Collector" be changed to somthing less... "1337"

Refer to mine = "I don't like the stars" perhaps? But then again, my 31337ness would be gone, with another person using it :P

Happy Dude: Uncle Kevin and Uncle Swan say the economy will get better soon, within two years, and I trust them, they are smart, intelligent, wise men who are worthy of the positions they were elected into.[/quote]

Good to see someone has faith 8-)

mrpijey: this always happens. Give it a few weeks, the forum will balance itself out... again

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:53 pm 
Donator

Bump.

It seems that now that some people seem to be posting in the wrong forums now...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:17 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
If you feel its wrong, report the post and enter that into the comments, and a moderator will look at it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:18 pm 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
Yeah, originally Andy and I were opposed the idea, but since the FTP is fairly public anyway I don't it would be any problem really to make, say the FTP log, public or something. But I'll discuss that with Andy first, so don't make any lists anywhere... But for now there's no chance for new members to check what we got before uploading stuff, so we have to live with this.

Maybe, instead of making the whole log public, you could write a php script that checks the status for an individual piece of software. You could use a form, maybe one for company (Microsoft, Apple, etc), one for software (Windows 7, Mac OS X, etc) and then a box to type in the build number, to which the script returns whether or not the file is on the FTP server.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:59 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
099pspcomputer, is a shining example of these posts. *-) :^)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Andy wrote:
If you feel its wrong, report the post and enter that into the comments, and a moderator will look at it.

Indeed, I'd like to add to that, that you shouldn't reply to the users in a post. It makes it awkward to delete the spammy posts when a number of people have quoted it, replied to it saying it's spam, and probably mixed that in with some proper discussion just to make it even more time-consuming to moderate.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
hounsell wrote:
It makes it awkward to delete the spammy posts when a number of people have quoted it, replied to it saying it's spam, and probably mixed that in with some proper discussion just to make it even more time-consuming to moderate.

I know what you're saying there. (http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8264)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP
I also noticed that a few new users are bumping posts more than 30 days old (like a year old).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Has there been a recent rise in noobish posts?        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
luridphantom wrote:
I also noticed that a few new users are bumping posts more than 30 days old (like a year old).

The rule is now 90 days old.

Any bumped from over this long get removed and the user warned.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW