BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 12h, 8m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5237MB of 11467MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What do u think of my system
Poll ended at Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:03 am
It will defiantly improve the beta archive 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I think i like it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care if the system changes 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I don't think i will like it 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
Rick rolls are better then this system 64%  64%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 25
 PostPost subject: Re: Why should the downloads be restricted?        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.7&Ubuntu 11.04
I think that the way the FTPs are setup are great. As stated before Andy and Thomas pay for this from their wages. If that was true people would flood in from everywhere and it would be hammering to the extreme. I would love to donate Andy and when I am able to trust me I will. The FTPs are great and the people who have access to them are the one's who deserve it. People just be thankful that you don't have to go to some virus-infested torrent site to get new builds. Instead you have a fast, easy, safe, encrypted way to receive new builds and betas. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why should the downloads be restricted?        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
you know torrents would solve the FTP bandwidth issue...
and hosting it on TPB..or you you still wanted to do the stick around and post stuff
you could set it up as a password tracker..

FTP costs way to much and well..very restrictive on how you can use it..

torrents the load is spread about... thus reducing bandwidth for ALL
specially if you use UDP instead of HTTP trackers..

why is everyone so hash twords leachers...some ppl just want the betas so what...
that gits kinda old hearing ppl complain about leacjers...this ill do something for you
as long as you do something for me that i deem worthy...

what ever happend to just doing something nice for someone..what has this world come to...
sure i fully understand the FTP gitting hammered issue...but my point is still valid

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Why should the downloads be restricted?        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:12 am 
Donator

angelwolf71885 wrote:
you know torrents would solve the FTP bandwidth issue...
and hosting it on TPB..or you you still wanted to do the stick around and post stuff
you could set it up as a password tracker..

FTP costs way to much and well..very restrictive on how you can use it..

torrents the load is spread about... thus reducing bandwidth for ALL
specially if you use UDP instead of HTTP trackers..

why is everyone so hash twords leachers...some ppl just want the betas so what...
that gits kinda old hearing ppl complain about leacjers...this ill do something for you
as long as you do something for me that i deem worthy...

what ever happend to just doing something nice for someone..what has this world come to...
sure i fully understand the FTP gitting hammered issue...but my point is still valid

People complain about leachers because they waste bandwith.
In torrenting terms, a leacher is someone who uploads very little, but downloads alot, thus making the torrent slower.
And The Pirate Bay is not a host, you'd still need people to seed.
This forum is not about servers, its about the discussion, the servers are just there to provide easy access to files. Sometimes I think this forum would be better without the servers...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why should the downloads be restricted?        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
jabster wrote:
People complain about leachers because they waste bandwith.
In torrenting terms, a leacher is someone who uploads very little, but downloads alot, thus making the torrent slower.
And The Pirate Bay is not a host, you'd still need people to seed.
This forum is not about servers, its about the discussion, the servers are just there to provide easy access to files. Sometimes I think this forum would be better without the servers...

yes i know TPB isent a host...and that torrents require ppl to actually host the file..
on thair comp or on a comp dedicated to torrents..

but ive counted 10 maybe 20 ppl that are really dedicated to this site and are serious beta collectors/users

witch if the torrents were first seeded to them then the relies would be well seeded
or andy could make a passworded tracker and still keep the 10 post req

you know i kinda agree with you...this site would be bedder without the servers
i kinda wonder why the topics about different betas are in the adv and vip sections
would be nice to discuss any beta..but im to afraid to make a topic about any beta..bc i don't wanna jeopardize my chances for FTP access

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Why should the downloads be restricted?        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:29 am 
Donator

angelwolf71885 wrote:
would be nice to discuss any beta..but im to afraid to make a topic about any beta..bc i don't wanna jeopardize my chances for FTP access

Three words: Mellow, Out & Man.
Posting a topic about a beta is not going to jeopradise anything, its actually relativley easy to get access.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why should the downloads be restricted?        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:17 pm 
Donator

Torrents are not going to work. It's been discussed enough times. People will NOT seed. As a moderator on another tracker, I know what happens, and so does the majority of the users here.

Someone downloads, once the download hits 100% they hit complete in their client. Thus no more seeding.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why should the downloads be restricted?        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
happy dude wrote:
Torrents are not going to work. It's been discussed enough times. People will NOT seed. As a moderator on another tracker, I know what happens, and so does the majority of the users here.

Someone downloads, once the download hits 100% they hit complete in their client. Thus no more seeding.

actually the win7 7000 build...has almost 3k seeds..2700 give or take...
plus if it was seeded out first to the mods and serious collectors first then it would be pretty well seeded before it went public

if you each had a pico arco from via as the seed box its draw is barely 60 watts
then the power issue would be a moot point sadly the last issue would be
the net connection...

the ppl who want the old stuff...whistler and older is really really nitch...
and those are the ones who will probably go seedless...

thats fine that torrents have been discussed many times before...
but im thinking from an infrastructure standpoint...

and well thats the topic for another tread...but probbably wont happen..
so NVM i retract my idea

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Why should the downloads be restricted?        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:00 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Torrents won't work. Several reasons:

1. People will not seed. They hit 100% then remove it from their client.
2. Almost all ISP's have some form of torrent throttling in place, reducing the speed to a crawl. Encrypted FTP solves this unless the ISP uses application management throttling.
3. People will just send the torrent file to someone who doesn't have access, and they can then download it without contributing to the site.

Torrents have been talked about more times than I can care to remember, and dismissed because of the problems listed. We have 100Mbps of bandwidth on the server. The only time that ever hits maximum, is with a release like Win7 that everyone wants. Other times the server barely peaks at 20Mbps, 20% of its maximum. Then we have other private or VIP servers with popular files on them as well and one of those has 100Mbps too, so its not like we're short on bandwidth.

FTP is a safer, quicker and more reliable way to get files, thats what FTP was designed to do. We use it because its easier to manage, and people can simple browse through files at their leisure and download the ones they want at the click of a button. You can't easily do that with torrents. At least you know that if this website is up, 99.9% guaranteed the FTP is up as well because its hosted on the same server.

Downloads will never become unrestricted because its not in the interest of the site, and it keeps things fair and makes the site worthwhile to visit. Without the restrictions, nobody would post and the place would die off very quickly, leaving only the regular dedicated members to try and keep the site alive. BA is not a fly-by-night forum. You come here and contribute if you want to have access to the servers. You have to work for the best things in life, this forum is no exception.

I think this topic has run its course. There is no way to change my mind about the restrictions. With that said I am going to lock this topic and sticky it for future members to see.

Locked.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2