BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 11h, 33m | CPU: 14% | MEM: 6006MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: No Release a fortnight?        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Yesterday I saw that there was a release-a-fortnight countdown. However, I checked this morning, but there is no post about the fornight. There is also nothing in the FTP log.

Does something went wrong, or was there just no post?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:12 pm 
Donator

You're all becoming too impatient. Andy isn't even online.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
You're all becoming too impatient. Andy isn't even online.

OK sorry. I didn't mean it like: make the topic now, because it isn't there yet, but out of interest.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:18 pm 
Donator

Sheesh, you do know that Andy has a job, a life and more important things to worry about.
(currently, those things seem to be sleeping in till 11:30, but the fact remains, he has more important things to worry about)

Its also good to bear in mind that not all people on this forum are in YOUR timezone, Andy lives on GMT time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:38 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
For your information, I was working when the release was due to go out. I can't control when I work, and the last thing I want to do is release a file when I come home after 8 hours standing behind a till. I need to eat and sleep just like you do too you know. If people keep complaining about the release not being on time, I won't release anything at all. You get it for free anyway so please, quit complaining about it being a little late.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OK sorry, I get it. I won't do it ever again.

And don't see it as a complain please, it was just a question.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:03 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
If people keep complaining about the release not being on time, I won't release anything at all.

Collective responsibility ain't really the best doctrine to follow, you know. Just because some people complain, doesn't mean others should suffer for their idiocy.
But that's up to you to decide.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
gracz54 wrote:
Andy wrote:
If people keep complaining about the release not being on time, I won't release anything at all.

Collective responsibility ain't really the best doctrine to follow, you know. Just because some people complain, doesn't mean others should suffer for their idiocy.
But that's up to you to decide.

Also after what happend with mrpijey's server (details got leaked outside again), that's why he shutdown his server.
And he pulled his releases also from the RAF.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:18 pm 
FTP Access

I'd say that the countdown should be removed so that people don't get a false impression like this. Or at least be changed to "TBA" or some other message.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
My apologizes to Andy. This isn't what it meant. I know now that I was wrong, and I won't do anything like this in the future again. I understand that it was not good to ask it so fast and say it in a kind of complaining way. That was not what I meant with it. It was not fair to ask it.

Sorry Andy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:09 pm 
Donator

How about a rule that one shall not request for release-a-fortnight?
I think these topics are annoying everytime this happens.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:44 pm 
Staff

XDude wrote:
How about a rule that one shall not request for release-a-fortnight?
I think these topics are annoying everytime this happens.

we dont need a rule for every single little thing, common courtesy goes a long way really.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:26 am 
FTP Access

Why is everyone jumping on zee? He just asked a simple question. He did it respectfully and shouldn't be called out for it IMO.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:09 am 
DjRob wrote:
Also after what happend with mrpijey's server (details got leaked outside again), that's why he shutdown his server.
And he pulled his releases also from the RAF.

I mentioned that to Andy last week, & offered to upload something so there was a raf,
he said that it wasn't needed though, so i'm assuming he still has raf releases, just no
time {or no will} to deal with them atm...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:39 am 
Donator

logicaL wrote:
Why is everyone jumping on zee? He just asked a simple question. He did it respectfully and shouldn't be called out for it IMO.

As soon as that countdown hits release due now, everyone wants it, except err one little problem - Andy isn't always around to release it

Greed is going to kill BA as we know it, I mean, hey, it killed mrpijey's server..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:37 am 
FTP Access

happy dude wrote:
logicaL wrote:

As soon as that countdown hits release due now, everyone wants it, except err one little problem - Andy isn't always around to release it

Greed is going to kill BA as we know it, I mean, hey, it killed mrpijey's server..

The point I'm trying to make is that he was just asking a question. He wasn't saying "OMG WHERE IS THE RAF!!!!!", he asked if something was wrong or if it had been pushed back. From what I can ascertain from what he wrote he was trying to be polite.

If anything is going to kill BA its this constant animosity on the forum.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:52 am 
Donator

True, but if every single person on this forum were to ask "Hey Andy, why no RAF" then all of a sudden Andy has 900 people to deal with.

I'd think it'd be common sense to go to google and type the words England & Time before posting somthing like this, half of the time people want Andy to do somthing (RAF, Advanced member approval ect...) its two in the morning.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:13 pm 

Quote:
Yesterday I saw that there was a release-a-fortnight countdown. However, I checked this morning, but there is no post about the fornight. There is also nothing in the FTP log.

That's what he said. There's nothing impatient or demanding about it at all. I don't see how anyone could have gotten anything like that by reading that.

He asked a couple simple questions. Is something wrong or was there just no post? Suddenly people start jumping down his throat and saying he's being impatient and demanding and made him feel like a complete jerk by implying that he did things he clearly didn't do.

And some of you wonder why there is soo much hostility on this forum? Someone asks a question and they get jumped on for no reason at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:20 pm 
Donator

nightmare_david wrote:
Quote:

That's what he said. There's nothing impatient or demanding about it at all. I don't see how anyone could have gotten anything like that by reading that.

He asked a couple simple questions. Is something wrong or was there just no post? Suddenly people start jumping down his throat and saying he's being impatient and demanding and made him feel like a complete jerk by implying that he did things he clearly didn't do.

And some of you wonder why there is soo much hostility on this forum? Someone asks a question and they get jumped on for no reason at all.

QFT

I see this far too often here, and I'm sure it causes many to be reluctant to post otherwise useful discussions and comments.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:19 pm 
Donator

jabster wrote:
...go to google and type the words England & Time before posting somthing like this, half of the time people want Andy to do somthing (RAF, Advanced member approval ect...) its two in the morning.

I will admit that it is unnecessary for Andy to do something as it is his time and his forum and ultimately his choice, however he does set the time that the timer goes off so common sense would say that he wouldn't set it for 2 in the morning. Oh well, I may be wrong, but Thanks for all you do Andy, even if the RAF isn't out on time... :)

nightmare_david wrote:
Quote:

You, my friend, are 100% correct. He asked a simple question, which could have been answered quickly and easily without hostility.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:03 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I don't think a RAF is needed, because we are all using the new Windows 7 build (6956 IIRC) :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:09 am 
Administrator

I think the question was warranted and OK, the answers were however not. Zeehonden_3 doesn't have to be jumped because he asked a simple question. The responses were the reason I shutdown my server, not greed. All the smug comments, all the racketeering, hacking, account faking etc caused that since I didn't feel some members were mature enough to deserve the time I put into my FTP. We all came to this board to get something. Information, friends or the betas. But we can do without the bad attitude.

We will try to continue with the RAF:s, but as it's been said before, the future of RAF depends on what you members upload. If no one says anything I release stuff as they come in, but if anyone wants their upload to end up as a RAF I need to know this. I'll also talk to Andy about perhaps assisting him doing the RAF releases when he can't, I am after all in charge of the FTP.

I have been adding a lot of stuff to the "new" FTP, stuff that comes from my own private collection. And the recent Win7 releases has kept this board busy too. So I think the recent RAF can be ignored. Remember also that it's what, about two weeks until xmas. Lots of stuff to do in school and at work, that has kept both Andy and me busy, and I bet most of you are quite busy too with school or work. But we do put in as much time into BA and RAF:s as we can at the moment. I myself have been quite busy renaming the old archives and adding new stuff to the FTP. No easy work I remind all of you. And remember also that Andy has been hard at work with the new forum, no easy feat that either.

I did pull my remaining RAF contributions because of the same reason I mentioned in this post, attitude. I heard a lot of complains, sighs and yawns over all the Whistler releases, so hey, if you don't want Whistlers then you don't get them. I can keep them for myself just as well. Makes no difference to me.

But if you want future RAF:s we need to provide releases for it. They don't pop up by themselves. So start uploading :). And KenOath, you are of course always welcome to provide, and we will always be grateful, we'll always need RAF material no matter what. That goes to all of you.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:38 am 
Donator

Here's my $0.02 worth.

I can't figure out why there's all this hostility on this forum, afterall we're here because we (as a majority) share a hobby. Regardless of technical ability, skills or resources we all like messing around with betas/abandonware in all shapes and forms.

I completely agree with both Andy and mrpijey in that I can see why someone would lose their patience over running a place like this. There's just too much drama and unnecessary conflicts going on with people getting annoyed over "stupid" questions and just being so set in their viewpoints that any opinion stating otherwise is heresy.

First of all, no question is stupid. It may be lazy but atleast it shows an interest in learning something and answers like JFGI are wastes of time. It's better to give a quick answer and point in the direction of further info in the hopes that the person asking might go on and read more about it. Getting upset over it doesn't help and a lot of the time a question that could've been answered in a two line post instead turns in to a three page flamewar before a mod locks the topic.

Secondly. People have opinions, some more educated than others. Get over it. And if you're set on bashing something you can atleast offer me the courtesy of being read up on the subject. Any statement offered as fact should be able to cite a source, pereferably multiple sources if available. Some notable rants not following this advice are the numerous Vista rants about DRM and the data collection policies of various tech companies like MS, Google and Apple.

I think if people on this board kept the common goal of this place in mind when posting things would be a lot friendlier both to newbies and older members. Seems like many have forgotten why we are here in the first place, to mess around with and talk about fun betas.

Thanks to both Andy and mrpijey for spending so much time and effort keeping this place running. :)

Top  Profile