BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 7h, 17m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 1946MB of 4187MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Feedback about Bumping        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Posts
694

Location
New Zealand

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I see that new users make some quite large bumps and I have an idea to prevent bumping, When a thread is older then 30 days old It's link should be red. This will stop accidental bumps

_________________
Core 2 Quad Q8400, 8Gb DDR3, ATI HD4850, 1Tb Seagate, Windows 7 Ultimate X64


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Feedback about Bumping        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:06 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12392

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
mewrox99 wrote:
I see that new users make some quite large bumps and I have an idea to prevent bumping, When a thread is older then 30 days old It's link should be red. This will stop accidental bumps


The complexity and limitations of phpBB stops us doing that. Its only common sense anyway, since any topic on the first page of the list of topics should be the only ones you reply to, all the others are generally over 30 days old and are not allowed to be replied to unless you have something of value to add.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Feedback about Bumping        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:59 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:05 pm

Posts
698

Location
Or-stray-liagh
Andy wrote:
The complexity and limitations of phpBB stops us doing that.


Hrmm, are you sure? All you'd need to do is include some code which looks at the dates of each post as it's being written to the page, and changes the CSS class on the post title ... you could even probably do it on the client-side with JavaScript...

_________________
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Feedback about Bumping        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:49 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12392

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
Andy wrote:
The complexity and limitations of phpBB stops us doing that.


Hrmm, are you sure? All you'd need to do is include some code which looks at the dates of each post as it's being written to the page, and changes the CSS class on the post title ... you could even probably do it on the client-side with JavaScript...


Well if you can code complex PHP and SQL feel free, otherwise common sense will have to do :)

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:41 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Posts
352
I can. Send me your posting.php and I can throw in a warning when the topic is older than 30 days. A bit better solution.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:08 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Posts
571

Location
United Kingdom
I have noticed that most other forums don't bother doing that, maybe because the admin doesn't have the time to.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:46 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:19 am

Posts
1915

Location
New Zealand
lets not highlight old topics, why not make them lighter? I think red would make people think that they are important or got new posts


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:30 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Posts
352
In addition to a warning on the posting page (probably a message in bright red with a checkbox you have to check to submit your reply) it also would be trivial to add a restriction disallowing users with less than X number of posts from posting the reply in an old topic.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:29 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7125
Good idea, but make sure it won't clutter down the screen. They shouldn't be highlighted to imply there is an extra importance to the posts, they should in some way be marked that they are over x days old. We'll see how you plan to solve it :P.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:07 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12392

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I was thinking about this at the LAN party when we were all eating last night. We could have a small image with "30+" in it, very simply. If you hover the mouse over it a tool tip will tell you "This post is over 30 days old and should not be posted in unless your post is relevant" or something to that nature.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:23 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Posts
732

Location
Norway

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Ban everyone thats dumb enough to bump old topics problem solved

ban everyone

_________________
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:53 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7125
Andy wrote:
I was thinking about this at the LAN party when we were all eating last night. We could have a small image with "30+" in it, very simply. If you hover the mouse over it a tool tip will tell you "This post is over 30 days old and should not be posted in unless your post is relevant" or something to that nature.


Good idea. Simple and should be good enough even for those that don't want to read :P.

longview wrote:
Ban everyone thats dumb enough to bump old topics problem solved

ban everyone


Not so good idea...

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:13 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Posts
2461
So you want to introduced a feature for people who are too lazy to read the rules where it says no pointless bumping? That works. 8-)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:13 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Posts
732

Location
Norway

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
happy dude wrote:
So you want to introduced a feature for people who are too lazy to read the rules where it says no pointless bumping? That works. 8-)

longview wrote:
Ban everyone

_________________
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:21 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Posts
352
longview wrote:
happy dude wrote:
So you want to introduced a feature for people who are too lazy to read the rules where it says no pointless bumping? That works. 8-)

longview wrote:
Ban everyone


++


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS