FTP Organization

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Post Reply
Resplendent
Donator
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 pm

FTP Organization

Post by Resplendent »

Would it be possible to get some folders on the FTP to categorize the various files on it? IE

Operating Systems - Microsoft - Apple - Windows - Windows 2000 - etc.
Games
Apps - Internet Explorer - etc.

Just a little blah to navigate for a newbie I guess!

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

I believe everything on the server is being reorganised and repacked. It's a huge job that's been underway for some time now, but it is being done.

Resplendent
Donator
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Post by Resplendent »

Kay, thanks for the heads up!

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12621
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Please learn to use the search function. This has already been asked in the last month and the answer was the same. There will be 4 categories when the repacking is complete.

Applications
Games
Operating Systems
Misc

Other than those folders, there will be no more folders at all, not even categorised by codename etc because cycling through folders is boring and people want to get to what they want quickly and efficiently, and people also like to look just for the sake of looking and possibly downloading something they never knew they wanted. Again cycling folders is boring so we make a "general" recategorisation and that will enough. Filenames will also be renamed to a better standard as well with the correct information needed unlike the current setup.

Further queries should go to mrpijey (do not harass him please).

RentedMule
Donator
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Post by RentedMule »

While I don't necessarily care about the folder organization, I do think there needs to be some sort of standardized naming scheme. *Just as an example*, take Windows Vista for instance. Some are named "Vista ...." and others "Windows Vista ....". If I wanted to see everything "Windows", I can't even just search for "Windows".

Just some feedback. Please don't hate.

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12621
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

RentedMule wrote:While I don't necessarily care about the folder organization, I do think there needs to be some sort of standardized naming scheme. *Just as an example*, take Windows Vista for instance. Some are named "Vista ...." and others "Windows Vista ....". If I wanted to see everything "Windows", I can't even just search for "Windows".

Just some feedback. Please don't hate.
Did you even read the above post? No offense but I stated what was going to happen in it.

RentedMule
Donator
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Post by RentedMule »

Andy wrote: Did you even read the above post? No offense but I stated what was going to happen in it.
I just read it again, and everything but the last sentence seemed familiar. My mistake :/

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12621
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

RentedMule wrote:
Andy wrote: Did you even read the above post? No offense but I stated what was going to happen in it.
I just read it again, and everything but the last sentence seemed familiar. My mistake :/
Thats OK, and sorry for my attitude just then, the forum just got a SQL injection which I've been trying to fix and put in countermeasures so as you can guess I'm not in the best of moods!

motherboardlove
Donator
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Post by motherboardlove »

In FileZilla, it doesn't seem to show the folder structure - Anyone have an idea on how to show file structure in FileZilla, or have another client that will work? I noticed this when I connected to some ftp server in explere and filezilla - the explorer one had structure, while FZ didn't. Anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance!

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12621
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

motherboardlove wrote:In FileZilla, it doesn't seem to show the folder structure - Anyone have an idea on how to show file structure in FileZilla, or have another client that will work? I noticed this when I connected to some ftp server in explere and filezilla - the explorer one had structure, while FZ didn't. Anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance!
There is no folder structure. It is a list of files in the same directory, nothing more.

Post Reply