BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 19h, 47m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 2266MB of 3975MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: 9x Users        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:14 am 
OBrasilo and me worried about that here are no real 9x fans anymore, everybody is just using and wanting longhorn here, obi's idea would be to split "Microsoft Operating Systems" into windows 95, 98, me, other 9x's and the rest NT's, we think many users dont even know about 9x anymore, which is sad because its so more better than longhorn... 8-)

@andy, if you like that idea please assemble it, we really need for 9x and less longhorn...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:41 am 
Donator

Longhorn is more interesting than 9x. 9x has been around for a long time that it's gotten old and especially since Vista is the latest version of Windows, it's interesting to find how Microsoft got to Vista from XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:44 am 
mdogg wrote:
Longhorn is more interesting than 9x. 9x has been around for a long time that it's gotten old and especially since Vista is the latest version of Windows, it's interesting to find how Microsoft got to Vista from XP.

well, i was very intrested in longhorn first too, but 9x has much more stuff than you all guess, just read old osba threads and youll see what i mean :)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:12 pm 
Donator

Weve got way too many categories as it is 8-)

Also http://betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4874

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:27 pm 
Donator

The problem comes down to 9x was flawed by design. No one WANTS to remember those OS's. No security, horrible stability, memory leaks, you name it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:27 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
You can't say Windows 9x is more interesting than Longhorn or other NT OS'es, since this is a subjective opinion - it's the same as if you would say Rock music is better than classical music...
Anyway, I don't like the idea to split the Windows forum; as Andy said there are already too much categories...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:37 pm 
RentedMule wrote:
The problem comes down to 9x was flawed by design. No one WANTS to remember those OS's. No security, horrible stability, memory leaks, you name it.

so longhorn alphas (wasnt it that what you all want..?) are the secure os and also stable like nothing else?

in what a world youre living?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:13 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:

so longhorn alphas (wasnt it that what you all want..?) are the secure os and also stable like nothing else?

in what a world youre living?

The best reply I have to that is *WOOSH*

Longhorn, while even in development phases, contain a security model. Whether it is working perfectly is for another day.

9x had NO file permissions. It had NO user levels. It had NO logical separation of kernel/userspace. Memory protection consisted of Blue Screening when something read/wrote to the wrong place in memory.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
i still like windows 9x

the computer sitting next to me is running windows 95!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:33 pm 
Donator

We don't mean Longhorn is stable, we mean that Longhorn is more interesting. Windows 9x has been abandoned for a long time now and it's become old and boring. Longhorn is more interesting as it is cool to see how Microsoft got from XP all the way to Vista. I'm not saying that I would like an unstable beta version of Windows as my primary OS, I'm just saying that Longhorn is much more interesting right now.

In fact, I'm sure that we'll all be interested in Windows 7 betas once 7 is released as RTM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:52 am 
Donator

Windows 9x is very boring, maybe your Betas and Alphas like the o*****, k*******, and other stuff isnt, but the stuff we have is.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
im still a fan of the ms-dos/9x line, i prefer it over NT anyday, i'd still be using it if the games i have supported it.

that being said, compare computers then and computers now, back then high-end computers might have had 64-128 MB ram tops, 800x600 was a big screen, and they might have had a whopping 8 MB graphics memory, internet for home users was a luxury, and OS designers were working for functionality, not eye candy, so its not really surprising that 95/98/98se/ME were bland and lacked certain neccesary security features, it wasn't needed

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:35 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
My best computer experiences were with Windows 98SE, I used very popular OEM hardware and had no problems.

I liked the Windows 9x approach because it was better suited for single users. It quite simply had less junk. Windows 95 could run on a computer with 8 megabytes of ram...

Really what killed them was the botched release of Windows ME.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:56 am 
FTP Access

Windows 9x marked a landmark for Microsoft as Windows 95 was what made the Windows Operating System become so popular. The Explorer Taskbar in 95 was so in genius it is STILL used to this date. To say that the 9x series should be forgotten is like abandoning Windows Vista, XP, and all the NT operating systems altogether. Personally, Program Manager was my favorite shell, but I don't want to get into that discussion. 8-)

Windows 98SE is byfar the one that stands out the most as I've used it most of my life. Now, I've probably used Windows 3.11 for Workgroups even more, but this is more of a 9x series. To this date, I still have the manual sitting right here at my desk of "Windows 98SE Getting Started" with its product key and genuine designs all over it. It's quite simply amazing to read it a few times here and there and see how well technology has evolved since my early days in the 90s. Hell, I remember bothering my parents to get the old LCII out just to use System 7 from Apple because of the memories!

So personally, a Windows 9x section would be interesting and I'd probably stalk the part of the forum a lot.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:23 am 
Donator

I never said Windows 9x should be forgotten or that it sucked. I mean, I like the classic retro look and feel of 9x. I just said that Longhorn was more interesting in a sense that we hadn't all used it before like we have with 9x.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:21 pm 
Administrator

Splitting a forum won't make people more interested in a particular OS generation. You got to be pretty blind to not notice that Win9x exists, so if a member wants to find info about it here he/she will, without cutting the forum into even smaller pieces.

I have to agree tho, Win9x builds are pretty boring :P. Being the beta geek I am I still collect them, but the development and changes are so much more interesting and visible in Whistler/Longhorn builds than Chicago and Memphis builds. And any new member here getting struck by the beta fever will get and install those oldies anyway :P.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:24 pm 
FTP Access

9x is more stable but longhorn is more interesting. Longhorn has more features than 9x. I like the glass on longhorn but 9x gets boring. But this is just my opinion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:26 pm 
wolfhunter3 wrote:
9x is more stable but longhorn is more interesting. Longhorn has more features than 9x. I like the glass on longhorn but 9x gets boring. But this is just my opinion.

well, you all think of "features" as design, thats really sad... :(

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
wolfhunter3 wrote:

well, you all think of "features" as design, thats really sad... :(

Actually, we don't think design is the most important part of Longhorn. Other things like the sidebar, the first instances of UAC, etc. make Longhorn a cool OS to test. (H)

Top  Profile