Donator status

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Post Reply
x010
Staff
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm
Contact:

Donator status

Post by x010 »

I dislike the fact that a 'donation' is required to access part of the forum. Why not replace it with say 5 contributing releases?

Resident007
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:05 pm
Location: /dev/null

Re: Donator status

Post by Resident007 »

Because maintaining a site and FTP server costs a lot of money and BA needs some money in order to continue functioning correctly.
Image
Hello from Russia!

mrpijey
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 8178
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Donator status

Post by mrpijey »

Resident007 wrote:Because maintaining a site and FTP server costs a lot of money and BA needs some money in order to continue functioning correctly.
Not that it has to do anything with the OP's question, since it was about forum access, not the nature of why we need donations...

To answer the OP question: It's just one forum section, that's all. The people kind enough to donate gets this access. Moderators etc also get other access to the forum. It's not really a big deal, and you don't get any special benefits from being a donator except for that status and one forum section.
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

DanielOosterhuis
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Re: Donator status

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

It's not really that big of a deal, the donator forum isn't all that active. Plus, there's also a VIP section that donators don't have access to, but you don't hear us complain about that either.
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

WILSON2bGg
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:29 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Re: Donator status

Post by WILSON2bGg »

I think it's perfectly fine to give those who donated to help BetaArchive access to a special forum on here.

As DanielOosterhuis said,
DanielOosterhuis wrote:the donator forum isn't all that active.

So it isn't much to be a part of anyway.
Hey what's up

JimOlive
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:07 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Re: Donator status

Post by JimOlive »

Regardless, the idea of donator-only forums seems silly.

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Donator status

Post by Andy »

Would you care to give your reasons?

Getting access to another forum is a perk. It's not uncommon to get perks on a website when you donate. You're not missing anything in there if that's what you're worried about. It's barely ever used.

x010
Staff
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Donator status

Post by x010 »

Andy wrote:Would you care to give your reasons?

Getting access to another forum is a perk. It's not uncommon to get perks on a website when you donate. You're not missing anything in there if that's what you're worried about. It's barely ever used.
I think that goes against something you've repeatedly said: that donation should not be required to access any part of the site (after all, not everyone can do that). Hence my alternative suggestion - not easy but achievable without needing to pay.
True, it might be only a single forum, and rarely used, but the mere presence of something which cannot be unlocked by meaningful effort (like contributing x releases or the older 750 posts) bothers me.
DanielOosterhuis wrote:It's not really that big of a deal, the donator forum isn't all that active. Plus, there's also a VIP section that donators don't have access to, but you don't hear us complain about that either.
As said above, access to that forum does require quite some work (or is intended to), and hence that bothers me less right now.

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Donator status

Post by Andy »

So let me get this straight, you want us to give you more free access on top of the already incredibly generous free access that you already get, just because you don't like that someone has access to a little more than you? Is it some kind of jealousy? Do you some how feel entitled to it? Well guess what, not everything in this world is free and you're lucky that the BA FTP is.

Getting access to the donator forum is a perk and a thank you for choosing to donate, and is reserved for people who have chosen to donate. It doesn't contain anything valuable, nor is it particularly active despite the huge number of people who can see it, so really you're not missing out on anything.

JonathonWyble
FTP Access
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:07 am
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Donator status

Post by JonathonWyble »

I kind of agree with Daniel on his statement. I mean, the donators forum does seem to be inactive, but I do see new posts (on the forum index) from that forum once in a while. I don't want to sound stubborn, but I sometimes don't see a point in having a forum for people who donated to BA and got awarded donator status. But like Andy said, it exists on this forum because it's a nice way to thank someone for donating to BetaArchive and what not, so that's nothing to be worried about :)

DobaMuffin
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 am

Re: Donator status

Post by DobaMuffin »

Andy wrote:Getting access to the donator forum is a perk and a thank you for choosing to donate, and is reserved for people who have chosen to donate. It doesn't contain anything valuable, nor is it particularly active despite the huge number of people who can see it, so really you're not missing out on anything.
I see why the site has a special Donators only forum. As Andy said, it's for those who donate to keep this wonderful site up and running. It acts as a sort of community for those who have gone above and beyond everybody else. The fact that it is largely inactive is kind of sad, but it goes to show that the type of people who donate don't really care about using the forum that they and they alone have access to.

If it was changed from donator only to everybody who submits x amount of submissions, then it would defeat the purpose of rewarding those who donate by allowing people who haven't to obtain what they got as a reward.

So in the end, I understand your point about having a section of the forum barred away from the people who don't donate, but it does make sense as to why it is that way.

This is just my understanding of the whole situation. I'd be glad to hear yours, different or not.

DobaMuffin

Post Reply