How to create a archive of a set of floppy disks

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
FOX
FTP Access

How to create a archive of a set of floppy disks

Post by FOX »

On the guide of how to properly dump software it does not show how to archive floppy disks. I have a full version of WinImage but am Unsure if there is anything I need to different with multiple setup disks. Another question is what format should I save them to imz, ima, vfd, flp. This is not outlined in The definitive guide to BetaArchive.

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: How to create a archive of a set of floppy disks

Post by mrpijey »

That's because it's pretty much self-explanatory. You read disk, and save it as any format, but preferrably ima or imz. Do one disk after another and label them properly.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Maybe there should be a guide on how to use other floppy dumping devices like a KryoFlux or SuperCard Pro.

IMA, VFD, IMG and FLP are exactly the same and the only difference is the name. An IMZ is a zip file containing the IMA which doesn't make much difference. I would prefer IMG since it is the most common format for a sector dump.

JonathonWyble
FTP Access

Post by JonathonWyble »

ComputerHunter wrote:Maybe there should be a guide on how to use other floppy dumping devices like a KryoFlux or SuperCard Pro.
I found this guide on how to write floppy disks in Kryoflux: https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?t=1090
Although that's only for older Macintosh operating systems. But who knows? Maybe this code would work for any floppy disk operating system...

Code: Select all

psi test.dc42 disk1.psi 

pri -p encode gcr disk1.psi disk1.pri -f -v

pfi -p encode pri disk1.pri disk1.pfi

pfi disk1.pfi track00.0.raw
ComputerHunter wrote:IMA, VFD, IMG and FLP are exactly the same and the only difference is the name. An IMZ is a zip file containing the IMA which doesn't make much difference. I would prefer IMG since it is the most common format for a sector dump.
I agree. Floppy disks files in the .img format are better because they're easier to use than those other file formats for floppy images, but I also don't mind .ima files either.