BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 16h, 3m | CPU: 4% | MEM: 5248MB of 11529MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
No because the home page is locked.

Gabe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjxC-IInPrC1dNISF8ZQ

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
I am aware of it. But x010 is a sysop! He can edit the main page

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
Oh I see haha... I thought you were asking if someone had it locked haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjxC-IInPrC1dNISF8ZQ

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:11 pm 
FTP Access

SistemaRayoXP wrote:
If new user registration is now open, could anybody replace and/or delete the text in the main page where it says the requirements for registration?

Enviado desde mi P5025A mediante Tapatalk

Done.

gabegriggs1 wrote:
No because the home page is locked.

Not really, only the core is. The templates can still be edited by any autoconfirmed user.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 pm 
FTP Access

Notifications are now available. Use the reply-to template:
Code:
{{reply to|username}}
and the user will be notified when he/she next visits the wiki. Make sure that you sign whatever you're saying (~~~~) as otherwise it will not work!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:02 pm 

Favourite OS
Any Windows build
I just joined the wiki. Created Windows 10 1809, 1903, 19H2 and 20H1 pages. I hope I can expand it!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
There were some information missing with the support status of previous Windows 10 updates. I changed it a bit to reflect the current status.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:46 am 
Administrator

Please keep this thread clean from wiki article updates, the changes are already logged on the wiki. This topic is for discussions about the future of the wiki and how to improve it.

Thank you!

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:16 am 

Favourite OS
Pink
I'll throw in a potentially worthless comment, as someone with a first impression at a glance. I would recommend having a rule of not playing storyteller of the history of an OS that's already been covered other general wikis such as Wikipedia. In the cherrypicked case of OS/2, I'd compliment Betaarchive's which is concise and useful and relevant, compared to betawiki's pointless history which is poorly written and sometimes wrong. Just a total 100% waste of article space and effort, and completely off the site's topic. Sometimes telling a select historical overview can give clues as to the existence of hidden items, but not this.

Speaking as a Wikipedian, where everyone is an anonymous scrub and potential vandal, and especially speaking as a member of the Counter Vandalism Unit, I am all for having *some* reputation of the editors. Wikipedia has some balance which can be enacted per article, like the ability for any anonymous editor to post their quick drive-by tidbit, but it gets held as a draft awaiting approval by an established editor with status. It doesn't instantly go live. Some people above have said the bar should be nonexistent -- no, but it can be fairly low. Mrpijey is totally correct and reasonable in saying yes the site would drown in crap and yes there should be some reputation for article-based publication.

But yeah overall definitely merge the two sites, as they are clearly needlessly redundant. I would hope it's not the hardest thing to merge each article one by one into one superior version. There should be a content drive to do that, maybe with a contest.

Just my two cents!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:45 pm 
FTP Access

We've now enabled WikiEd on the wiki (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikEd). It complements the existing editor and provides useful features like find and replace along with a host of interface improvements.
There was a bug which meant the number of active users was incorrect. This is corrected for now (it's 20 not 8).

---
SSO is dropped. Unfortunately, I realised that MW has different username rules in that it prohibits usernames like 'x010' wherein the first letter is lowercase. This means that we have to rename thousands of usernames on the forum to allow this, which the admin is not prepared to do for obvious reasons. Sorry.
---
Viewing pictures has been improved. You can see it on this article for instance: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... 1991_build

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:15 pm 
Donator

x010 wrote:
SSO is dropped. Unfortunately, I realised that MW has different username rules in that it prohibits usernames like 'x010' wherein the first letter is lowercase. This means that we have to rename thousands of usernames on the forum to allow this, which the admin is not prepared to do for obvious reasons. Sorry.

The extension you linked to seems to be able to override this. I believe this would also require disabling capital links for the User/User talk namespaces.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Debate] The future of the wiki        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:21 pm 
FTP Access

AlphaBeta wrote:
x010 wrote:

The extension you linked to seems to be able to override this. I believe this would also require disabling capital links for the User/User talk namespaces.

That'd be really nice, but isn't that only a formatting change? The username internally still has to confirm with MediaWiki rules to my knowledge.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4