BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 15h, 43m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5784MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:35 am 
Donator

A picture is worth a thousand words, so...

I am fully aware that I might sound a bit hypocritical, given that certain former BetaWiki members (*cough* billyhatcher2012 *cough*) had been ripping off BA Wiki content in the past in what I think was good faith.

Anyway, I believe that ripping off BetaWiki's main page to the point there are the same "did you know" lines is crossing the line. I am pretty sure it wouldn't have hurt to ask first.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Codename Longhorn 4093
Whoever's copying it should at least do a better job, lol.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:55 pm 

Are you stating this in the hope the member responsible will feel remorse, apologize, be reprimanded, what exactly.
I would imagine the admins give the privileges to those responsible in the hope they do the right thing, and lets be honest here, I've seen entries in that wiki by billyhatcher2012 that one would question from the start, yet it was hoped he would do the right thing.
It is an unfortunate fact of life, that one can never know anothers intent til it's too late.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT, Debian
TheOtherGuy wrote:
I would imagine the admins give the privileges to those responsible in the hope they do the right thing, and lets be honest here, I've seen entries in that wiki by billyhatcher2012 that one would question from the start, yet it was hoped he would do the right thing.

It's not a matter of privileges, it's a matter of some random person who finds the site and starts copypasting from other sites, or throwing a few words in a page and calling it an article, without even bothering to read the basic guidelines. BH2012 has been long since blocked from the site, as he didn't really do any good, and started flaming other members.

Now, as AlphaBeta said, copypasting the main page as far as the "did you know" lines (not to mention the overall style is very similar) is not acceptable by any means, as it's nothing but plagiarism. I strongly believe BA wiki users should be doing their own research, and the fact bh2012 was also copypasting is no excuse to plagiarize.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
First of all, it was me and I apologize if it was similar but please hear me out.

Do you want to know why it's similar? Because BetaWiki took elements from Wikipedia. If you compare BetaWiki to Wikipedia some elements are very close just like they are (or were) on our wiki. I was not intending to copy BetaWiki, but at the same time, you have to realize there are only so many things that you can do with a wiki homepage to make it look unique. MediaWiki is locked down pretty well which prevents users from using other fonts, colors, and so on. There isn't much leeway when coding in MediaWiki for fonts, shapes, borders, and other unique elements. Now if you'd like me to change that line I will, but that's the only line I took from BetaWiki, but the other facts are unique facts I found on my own. And c'mon be nicer to a guy who is trying to make things better for our community instead of tearing him apart. Accusing and assuming gets us nowhere.

And I love how someone decided to change the alignment of the OS section just to make it look like BetaWiki, c'mon guys that's just not right.

Betawiki:

Wikipedia:

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjxC-IInPrC1dNISF8ZQ

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT, Debian
gabegriggs1 wrote:
First of all, it was me and I apologize if it was similar but please hear me out.

Do you want to know why it's similar? Because BetaWiki took elements from Wikipedia. If you compare BetaWiki to Wikipedia some elements are very close just like they are (or were) on our wiki. I was not intending to copy BetaWiki, but at the same time, you have to realize there are only so many things that you can do with a wiki homepage to make it look unique. MediaWiki is locked down pretty well which prevents users from using other fonts, colors, and so on. There isn't much leeway when coding in MediaWiki for fonts, shapes, borders, and other unique elements. Now if you'd like me to change that line I will, but that's the only line I took from BetaWiki, but the other facts are unique facts I found on my own. And c'mon be nicer to a guy who is trying to make things better for our community instead of tearing him apart. Accusing and assuming gets us nowhere.

And I love how someone decided to change the alignment of the OS section just to make it look like BetaWiki, c'mon guys that's just not right.
*snip*

Why did you copy the lines from "did you know" then?

Last edited by ovctvct on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
I legit copied one line because I thought that fact was cool. Like I said before, I got the rest of them on my own and attempted to make the wiki as unique as possible. Because MediaWiki is locked up so dang much I can't make it much more unique than I have. Or at least not with the current HTML skills I have. And I did try to change it to make sure it wasn't the same as BetaWiki's. The thing is if you want to use a fact someone else has it's hard to make the wording unique enough to differ from the other site.

It's super frustrating really.

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjxC-IInPrC1dNISF8ZQ

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:03 pm 

ovctvct wrote:
It's not a matter of privileges, it's a matter of some random person who finds the site and starts copypasting from other sites
Yeah that actually doesn't happen, it IS a matter of privileges as randoms cannot edit the wiki here without having been granted the privilege to do such.

ovctvct wrote:
gabegriggs1 wrote:
*snip*

Why did you copy the lines from "did you know" then?
Is this what it's boiled down to, 3 words. :|
OK. :?

You're a naughty boy{some random person} gabegriggs1, don't do that again. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT, Debian
TheOtherGuy wrote:
ovctvct wrote:
It's not a matter of privileges, it's a matter of some random person who finds the site and starts copypasting from other sites
Yeah that actually doesn't happen, it IS a matter of privileges as randoms cannot edit the wiki here without having been granted the privilege to do such.

I was talking about BetaWiki and BH2012 here- because anyone can edit BetaWiki, without being registered, so privileges don't really stop it here, so anyone could just come in and start copypasting. But it's not encouraged, nor desired for one to do so, and I'm pretty sure BA wiki doesn't want this either. As said, members should do their own research, and this applies both to BA wiki and BetaWiki, and pretty much every other wiki.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:13 pm 
Administrator

First of all I want to thank every Wiki contributor for keeping it updated. I would very much dig into it myself but my plate is flowing over as it is so I have not touched it, however I am considering moving over all the guides etc to the Wiki for easier editing and linking. And thank you gabegriggs1 for doing the great work with the Wiki.

Now to the point: Although plagiarism should be avoided there will be situations when there will be similar text because there is only so many ways you can state a fact in a unique way before it comes skewed and invalid. Please make sure that there's no simply copy/paste jobs on the Wiki, and if you must copy from other Wikis a valid source must be included.

Also, report any possible plagiarisms to the BA Staff instead of arguing about it on the forums. Present your facts (screenshots is best, links works too) and we will investigate and take the appropriate action. The backseat moderation rule also applies to the Wiki.

Thank you!

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm 
Donator

gabegriggs1 wrote:
Do you want to know why it's similar? Because BetaWiki took elements from Wikipedia. If you compare BetaWiki to Wikipedia some elements are very close just like they are (or were) on our wiki. I was not intending to copy BetaWiki, but at the same time, you have to realize there are only so many things that you can do with a wiki homepage to make it look unique.

I don't dispute the fact I was inspired by Wikipedia's layout. However, you gotta admit that a lot of wikis have a "did you know" and "featured article" sections on their main page. I didn't copy a single line of code from Wikipedia though.

gabegriggs1 wrote:
And c'mon be nicer to a guy who is trying to make things better for our community instead of tearing him apart. Accusing and assuming gets us nowhere.

I appreciate your efforts and I know very well that you did this in good faith.

Maybe this wasn't made clear in the original post: I don't really mind whether BA wiki uses BetaWiki content (properly attributed, of course) or not - I am not making any lists of pages that have been copied from BetaWiki to BA Wiki as certain members have done for content that has been copied from BA Wiki. I just find it rude that you didn't consult anybody from BetaWiki before you copied the main page code. In my honest opinion politeness can do wonders.

As I already said in the BA wiki main page discussion - I am pretty sure that you can do better than this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
Yes, I see what you are saying and I will not let it happen again. It's just hard not to get frustrated when you feel like you've changed something to make it unique enough to not have to cite a source and suddenly you have to go back to it and change it when you're working on something else already. Thanks for understanding and not calling names or anything as well. It's hard to find that these days. And I do apologize if I came off as condescending or similar because I didn't intend to. The internet makes things sound worse than they are sometimes haha

Offtopic Comment
Now on another note, does anyone know enough about MediaWiki to help me put together an RSS feed for recently leaked builds and new Insider builds? I'd like to make this page a really cool information center for all software if possible. Also, I'd love to get a team together if anyone is interested so we can make this page the best we can make it. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I do feel bad for not contributing to the wiki lately, have been busy looking after my new born daughter.
I did contact Andy 2 years ago about wanting to revamp the home page but got no response so I stuck to just adding builds

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:02 am 

ovctvct wrote:
I was talking about BetaWiki and BH2012 here- because anyone can edit BetaWiki, without being registered, so privileges don't really stop it here, so anyone could just come in and start copypasting. But it's not encouraged, nor desired
My bad, could have sworn the topic we were discussing here was
Quote:
Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?

Having the option for any random to edit your own wiki really doesn't make sense after seeing the childish destruction of the wiki here, whatever.
Glad that someone here actually has enough interest in giving us their free time on the wiki.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What's going on with the wiki main page lately?        Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
BetaWiki is moderated, though. So we successfully dealt with crappy edits and spam so far, without having to lock down half the pages.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile