BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 15h, 2m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 6216MB of 10828MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
I think this because there are so many files and betas in the FTP (it says 75TB) so, i think that there isn't pretty much anything to contribute. Maybe Cairo, Neptune, Odyssey, or Nashville, but that's not much.
Edit: 90TB

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:28 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Dude...there are still millions of things out there to contribute. Even things that we didn't know were on disc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
You don't necessarily have to contribute a Windows beta, y'know... As the home page even says, it can be original abandonware as well, whether it's a regular CD/DVD/Floppy game (old or new, that'll be kept offline until it's old enough) or some program, all of that is worth archiving here.

Thank you for your attention!

Site.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:29 pm 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
I know, but how am i supposed to get those things if not even this site has them?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion ... -or-amazon

I'd start here. Then you can cross-cue with the library here before you decide to buy a piece of software.
I'd also send an archive copy winworld's way too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
OdysseyNeptune wrote:
I know, but how am i supposed to get those things if not even this site has them?
Look for them in your shelf, ask some friends/relatives, visit the local store or pawn shop, or even eBay or Amazon if you have to. There's tons of places to look for, some more pricier than others. But there'll definitely be something that the FTP doesn't already have.

Thank you for your attention!

Site.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
Look, over half of the things I want aren't even in the server like abandonware games from Sierra. There's got to be an abandonware that you hold. And as others said in this topic, it doesn't have to be a prerelease software of a game or an OS (not just Windows). You can use the beta database to see what's on the server without having to ask any other users with FTP access of what's already available. Also, there are items in the server that's tagged as incomplete. If you have a more complete version (with manuals or a better dump), those will be accepted as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
Try this link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/Software/18793 ... o&_udhi=10
Thousands of cheap CD-ROM titles here. I dare say a good deal of these are not archived anywhere.

No special knowledge or hardware needed to dump a simple CD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Dude, it isn’t that hard. Find some boxed software or some software in foreign language. I said “how am I supposed to find something to contribute?” Just know what is out of support. And please read the directions when contributing

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7600
Edness wrote:
it can be original abandonware as well

Supported retail software also qualifies. It would be released to FTP Access Members by mrpijey on a future date when it becomes abandonware in accordance with BetaArchive's definition of abandonware.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I think that contributing is practically impossible.        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:07 am 
Administrator

This "issue" has already been covered in other topics, and we also have several posts on how to find stuff. It's not that difficult if you make an effort, we've not even scratched the surface on all the available software out there. Remember also, improving a release we already have also counts as a contribution so it's not only about what we have but also what we can do better.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]