BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 18d, 23h, 19m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5760MB of 11885MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I think this is an IE and Edge bug in the rendering. There isn't much I can do about this due to the graph framework being out of my control but I'll see if I can make it drop a line or something instead.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
What is the point of the "Source Media" in the release? For anything I select (either original or not), it just says unknown. Shouldn't it say the type of the release (e.g: Floppy)?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:30 pm 
Administrator

it's exactly what it say, "Unknown". I.e we don't know from what kind of media the dump comes from.

When it's an original dump it will say Floppy, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, a web address, Tape etc indicating the media it was copied from.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
it's exactly what it say, "Unknown". I.e we don't know from what kind of media the dump comes from.

When it's an original dump it will say Floppy, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, a web address, Tape etc indicating the media it was copied from.

That is what I mean. It simply says unknown for everything, even stuff that have a source.
For example, I have uploaded Ulead Video Studio 5.0 from CD-ROM (which is why it has artwork then) and it clearly says Unknown.
I have never seen a release on the database that says the media dump properly yet. Maybe these aren't updated properly from the release_info text files?
Offtopic Comment
You can thank android's blue light filter for messing with the image, and even though it was off *hehe* (Hence the yellow tint)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 pm 
Administrator

Ah, that could be a bug. I will look into it. The release info itself says CD-ROM so maybe it doesn't read it out properly.

Edit: Database table says CD-ROM. Andy? :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
I'd be very happy if there would be a way to search only BETAs, Updates or finished releases. Try searching for "Mac OS X" and you'll get more than 180 results, almost a third of them are labeled as BETAs and lots of them are just updates. I'm also aware that this would probably require a lot of work so this is just a suggestion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:29 pm 
Administrator

We will implement search parameters later where you can pick specific columns or categories to search in.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:44 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
Edit: Database table says CD-ROM. Andy? :P

This one is fixed now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:52 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Overdoze wrote:
URL: https://www.betaarchive.com/ba_db/statistics.php
Description: When viewing the statistics page in MS Edge, the labels for the number of releases and their percentages on the pie charts are overlapping. Doesn't happen in Chrome.
How to replicate: open the statistics page in Edge.
Screenshot:

Looking into this, it's an IE/Edge render bug. They're supposed to be on separate lines but it decides to overlap them instead. As a temporary fix I've made the values appear on the same line so you can read them.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
Suggestion: In the Offers/Request forum there are rules where one of those say that you should check if the release isn't already in the FTP, if you have no FTP Access, ask a moderator
What if instead, that rule links to the database, so now no FTP access or listing is required

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Suggestion: Having individual sizes of archives listed as well. Currently the DB only displays the size of artwork and disc image together. That can stay for the total archive size, sure, but when I look at some of them, it looks almost unreal. Like 152MB for WinZip? I actually had to go check how they managed to take up so much space on a single WinZip installer, turns out 135MB of it was artwork.
So yeah, that threw me off-guard. Wouldn't mind having individual artwork, documentation (if any) and media sizes listed alongside total size due to this.

Thank you for your attention!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:52 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
We'll look to split this out in a later release of the database.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:44 pm 
Administrator

Yes, that size is the full release size including all additional content. We will add individual media, artwork, documentation and extras sizes at a later date.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
\\shelltest\cloaked
Bug: Searches contain irrelevant results based on data found in the URL.

Sample search: Click here

Hover over a link and note that the result is likely based on the UUID.

Image Image

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:54 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I wouldn't call it irrelevant since it found what it was asked to find, but you raise a good point in not searching the uuid field. We'll alter that in the future.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
\\shelltest\cloaked
Andy wrote:
I wouldn't call it irrelevant since it found what it was asked to find, but you raise a good point in not searching the uuid field. We'll alter that in the future.

I certainly wasn't contesting the efficacy of the search functionality when I said "irrelevant." I just meant that it's just doing its job a little too well for what it seems its intended scope should be. :)

Image Image

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
So, I copied the current DB page source and tried messing a little bit to see what I can do to get it working on mobile properly. Seems like I've gotten it functioning, of course with missing assets, but that's not important. I've deleted it off the hosting site I'm using as well, it was just a quick temporary upload to test with my phone. Here's the before and after :P
Image Image

Anyways, it was actually pretty easy, what I did firstly was at the very top by changing
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=640, initial-scale=1">
to
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=976, initial-scale=1">
You won't really need a 640 minimum, no one really uses a 640x480 or even an 800x600 screen. Smallest I usually see nowadays is 1024x768 which is just barely more than enough. And why 976? Well, that seems to be the smallest I can get in a browser before it just stops scaling and adds a horizontal scroll bar on a regular non-DB page, thanks to the BA logo and navbar preventing it from scaling down further.
I had some initial luck with some smaller numbers like 936 when I was just messing about, but I think it should stay at 976 just to be safe.

But that wasn't it, it still seemed somewhat broken on my phone at least (I don't know if this phone's 1440p display is partially to blame as well, probably not though... Maybe it's the missing assets). But this was quite simple to figure out as well.
It was first by removing the current existing top from the DB going from line 195 to line 220
Code:
<div class="row">
   <div class="col-md-12">
      <div class="" style="float: left; margin-bottom: 15px; padding: 27px 0px 0px 20px;">            
         .  .  .
      </div>
   </div>
</div>
And in that spot I replaced it with what's on a regular properly scaling page, taking the main page, from line 46 to line 125.
Code:
<td style='background: #576972;'>
   <div id="wrapheader">
      <table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
         .  .  .
      </table>
   </div>
</td>
(Altered spacing just in here to save space)
Some of it probably won't be needed anymore in the DB of course, it's up to you to decide what to take out, but hey, here's something. Hopefully it'll make viewing the page on mobile much more easier for me and others as well :P

Thank you for your attention!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
Suggestion: The Archive Stats at the top left below the banner has a tooltip that converts TB to TiB (which is what Windows uses). The front page of the BetaArchive database does not have this tooltip. It would be great if that could be added to the database also.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:23 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:

IMHO the uuid field should be considered if the search query 100% matches some release's UUID i.e. a search for "543f3b5d-e267-4731-8934-b6d3ff890068" should return Windows 1.0 DR5, but not "543f3b5d".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Millennium 2358, Longhorn 3713
A new bug for search results with more than 100 results.

URL: https://www.betaarchive.com/database/se ... q=mac+os+x and https://www.betaarchive.com/database/se ... windows+xp
Description of issue: There is less than 1000 results, but the "over 1000 results returned" warning appears, with or without filters.
Replication: Simply search anything that has more than 100 results, not just 1000 results (like "Windows XP" or "Mac OS X") and this error will appear.
Screenshot: Image

BetaWiki contributor.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:01 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
That's intended. Your search showed over 100 results, but we would restrict the total shown to 1000. It's just to let you know we would never show more than 1000 and that you should consider refining your search to show less results.

But it's a little confusing I agree. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win95 4.00.224
Is Microsoft Chicago 99 not already uploaded? Because when is it there 2 times it sounds very odd.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:53 pm 
Administrator

It has been replaced with a newer copy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 am 

I've just come to realize that the last upload I made was already listed in the database, unfortunately I have sigs blocked when I sign in so I didn't see the link to this till I checked "Active Topics" when not logged in, noticing the link in mrpijeys sig.
However, there is a chance that my upload may differ from the one already uploaded, I have no way of knowing without some form of reference in the page to check against the CD I have, there's a size listed in the database, though it greatly differs from mine, suggesting it's different, 610.98 MB vs: 553mb , though my alcohol ripped version ended up 660 odd mb, though I'm guessing the 610mb is with artwork..
Knowing if mine is different would save the uploader & the ftp administrator time if either one was given a way to check before wasting time finding out it's the same.

Maybe have a small gif preview of the original CD to compare against mine, CD part number or something to go by.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 pm 
Administrator

I will check and compare as soon as I get the time this weekend and let you know. I am working on artwork support in the DB, but as with all development it takes time off other important stuff and there are only so many free hours in a day to do these things :).

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next