BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 12d, 18h, 54m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5186MB of 11607MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:08 pm 
FTP Access

Darkstar wrote:
And about all those hashes and talk about "security" and "MITM attacks on BA" and stuff, that is just overly paranoid.

I agree. One of the key tenets in risk management is to never lose sight of what exactly is the risk one is trying to mitigate. Even "weak" hashes are perfectly adequate for file ID purposes. One thing is to be able to launch a reasonable collision-search attack on password hashes and something very different is to be able to manipulate a given file in order to generate a given hash collision. The former can be feasible in many scenarios where the latter is not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Found one more missing media content name

media_xvd

Also just a guess, but wouldn't it be easier to just have it automatically read and insert whatever name there is after the media_### part and just have a couple exceptions like _unpack being renamed to "folder dump", _kf - "kryoflux" and such that are already in place. To me at least it sounds like a much simpler solution than having to manually add every possible file format out there...

Thank you for your attention!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:58 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
There is now an advanced search option available. It's not a lot, but it does allow more refinement than the single line text search. Let us know what you think.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
Andy wrote:
There is now an advanced search option available. It's not a lot, but it does allow more refinement than the single line text search. Let us know what you think.

That's cool news! I actually did suggest something like this (advanced search) a few months ago, and I guess now it's here... sort of.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:43 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
If there's anything you'd like to see or change then do let us know.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
I think everything is fine in the advanced search page for the database. I believe you could maybe add some sorting methods (ascend/descend options), for stuff like file sizes, uploader names, etc. This would go for the leader board page. I mean yes, you can easily sort stuff by using the up and down arrows on places like the leader board page, but it might be nice to have something similar on the search page as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:24 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
JonathonWyble wrote:
I think everything is fine in the advanced search page for the database. I believe you could maybe add some sorting methods (ascend/descend options), for stuff like file sizes, uploader names, etc. This would go for the leader board page. I mean yes, you can easily sort stuff by using the up and down arrows on places like the leader board page, but it might be nice to have something similar on the search page as well.

You can already do this, you always have been able to...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.2
The database is getting crazy. The Windows 10 Insider SDK releases were, according to the database, uploaded in 2029-08-20, and mrpijey's releases of Factorio from 2016-2017 are in the 2019-09-12 slot.
Edit: Images:Image

Shareware featuring an upgrade for preexisting Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
This is likely just a data entry issue for the first one. The second should be correct as it's showing the release date under the date it was added to our database.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.2
Now it is screwed up, it says 53 TB, 24.000 releases and 796 contributors.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:16 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
The database is probably being rebuilt.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.2
SUGGESTION:Incomplete releases (/(Misc)Incompletes) should be listed on the database.
Edit: You may ignore this, I forgot to read the readme.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:46 am 
FTP Access

I suggest set up a page that lists the most popular 100 releases. Maybe have a sort by feature.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 am 
Administrator

That would require us to track each download, which we can't do reliably at the moment. So that feature won't be implemented until we introduce downloads directly through the database.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 am 
FTP Access

How about a sort by feature? Size, Date, Uploader and etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
ComputerHunter wrote:

You can already do this on the table.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
ComputerHunter wrote:

I did request that same thing some time ago, and I got the same response as what Andy just said about your suggestion ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:33 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I'm not sure how people have missed this feature. It's like they can't see the sort arrows on the headings indicating that it's possible... :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
I can see those arrows just fine. I was just telling the OP that his idea wasn't necessary as there's already something that's like his idea, just like what you told me one time. That's all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:13 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
JonathonWyble wrote:
I can see those arrows just fine. I was just telling the OP that his idea wasn't necessary as there's already something that's like his idea, just like what you told me one time. That's all.

Of course - it wasn't aimed at you. Some people just don't seem to look or try things before requesting that's all.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:43 pm 
FTP Access

I confirmed that there is *no way* to sort them before posting because I got used to the forum sort by drop-down at the bottom of the page and I didn't expect those column headings to be clickable. I don't think I am the only one here who missed the sort by feature, maybe make it more obvious by adding a drop-down. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5