BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 5h, 15m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 5539MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hi all,

Please post any suggestions or bug reports you have from the database here.

Please provide all of the following information when reporting a bug:

• URL
  • Description of the issue
  • How do you replicate the issue?
  • Screenshot

Thanks

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
URL: https://www.betaarchive.com/ba_db/searc ... sional+sp3 (any with a search also works)
Description: The search box below shown does not work. It may be a placeholder, however it does nothing
How to replicate: Just type anything in that specific box and press enter. Nothing happens
Screenshot:

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Not a bug.

That's the sub-search of the results you got from your main search. Your main search brings back no results so naturally you can't sub-search for anything either.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:52 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I've changed this to say "Filter" instead of search to avoid confusion.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Ok thanks, it kinda confuses. May I ask where to post the suggestions?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
You can post them here. I've updated this topic to reflect that it's a suggestion topic too.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
What about linking the database in the navigation bar?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:13 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
As per the announcement topic, we'll be revamping the navigation bar soon to include a link to the database.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Would be nice if you could just click on the uploader's username on the release page or search results to see all his uploads, instead of having to go to the leaderboards and search for his username there. And speaking of leaderboards, I have a minor suggestion that this be ranamed to something else (e.g. User stats or such), as to me it gives off a very competitive vibe and I'm not sure we're all here to compete who makes the most uploads.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it, probably one of the better additions/changes to BA so far, in my opinion. :)

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:11 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
We'll be adding a more advanced search in the future and we can make usernames clickable when we do this too.

The leaderboard is just a name. You can try to compete, but I doubt you can given those who are at the top of it... :) But it maybe at least gives some encouragement to get onto the list at all.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MinWin
Clicking the BA logo on the top left leads to the database overview instead of the main page.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:33 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
That's deliberate. The same happens with the homepage and forum index going to themselves (always has).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
I was thinking about adding a feature to sort the items by tags like the name (the uploader or the entry), uploaded date or size. It would be easier to browse it that way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:48 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
You can already do this after you search. We can't show all items in the database at once, it's just too large.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
The Database seems to be improperly scaling on mobile devices anywhere I go on there, in addition making the navigation bar and text get cut off with no way to zoom out to reach the cut off buttons. (In comparison to how the regular forum looks like on mobile when fully zoomed out)
ImageImageImage

Thank you for your attention!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:50 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Yes there are still some changes to the navigation bar needed. This will be updated eventually with a completely new nav.

Scaling wise, I've done my best to make this work on mobile with my limited knowledge of making mobile responsive sites. You have highlighted an issue on the view page which I wasn't aware of so thanks for that, I'll add that to the list of things to fix.

(The forum has never been mobile friendly. We'll fix that in future too.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler 2428 and Longhorn 3713
The logging is good but unfortunately some duplicate days managed to make it in. They should be merged if I'm correct.

Also if possible, maybe allow the database to check if you are login on the forums, so you can gain access to a few features such as checking your uploads automatically and check your pending uploads (so you know if your uploads are allowed and waiting to be in the FTP, alongside maybe an indicator if any uploads did or didn't get accepted as well). Alongside, maybe show the Artwork on the information page of the media itself.

BetaWiki contributor.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:45 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
We've fixed the duplication bug on the test area and it'll be rolling out soon.

We have no plans to integrate the database into the FTP, but in the future we will have features only shown to those who are logged in.

Artwork may come later when we figure out a good way to do it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:50 pm 
Administrator

BF10 wrote:
Also if possible, maybe allow the database to check if you are login on the forums, so you can gain access to a few features such as checking your uploads automatically and check your pending uploads (so you know if your uploads are allowed and waiting to be in the FTP, alongside maybe an indicator if any uploads did or didn't get accepted as well). Alongside, maybe show the Artwork on the information page of the media itself.

Pending uploads would not be added as it adds more administrative work for me. For that to work I would need to register the upload and all before it's even added to the DB, and that would put a lot more overhead to the release process. Same goes for the uploads that didn't get approved etc. Perhaps there can be some system in the future if we develop a web based uploader or a standardized way of uploading releases to the FTP, but nothing like that is planned for now.

Checking uploads automatically? Check for what?

Artwork will come in the future along with user and system galleries.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:13 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Release Preview
How about a "Random" button, which takes you to a random release?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
When you filter search results, the filter seems to persist even for future searches, so you often end up finding nothing, only to remember that the filter is still in effect and you have to remove it. Maybe clear the filter after some time or something?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I could make it forget the filter field value but then it would also forget your number of items to show setting too. I'm not sure if that would get a bit annoying. I'll see if it's possible to do one but not the other.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
TheRadeonCloud wrote:
How about a "Random" button, which takes you to a random release?

That's quite a good idea actually :) It's a nice little feature we could put in for fun.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
URL: https://www.betaarchive.com/ba_db/statistics.php
Description: When viewing the statistics page in MS Edge, the labels for the number of releases and their percentages on the pie charts are overlapping. Doesn't happen in Chrome.
How to replicate: open the statistics page in Edge.
Screenshot:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BetaArchive Database Suggestions & Bug Reports        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler 2428 and Longhorn 3713
Overdoze wrote:
URL: https://www.betaarchive.com/ba_db/statistics.php
Description: When viewing the statistics page in MS Edge, the labels for the number of releases and their percentages on the pie charts are overlapping. Doesn't happen in Chrome.
How to replicate: open the statistics page in Edge.
Screenshot:

Although no one really uses it, it also happens in Internet Explorer (version 11):

BetaWiki contributor.

Top  Profile  WWW