BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 19d, 20h, 0m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 5755MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:39 am 
Administrator

Also, original Microsoft, Apple, Adobe etc software in japanese or chinese would be highly valuable to us as well since it's pretty rare.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 95 OSR2
Hint hint! If you're having trouble finding original undumped software for your upload application, try any semi-obscure Windows 9x retail game. A single trip to a well-stocked Goodwill (or whatever thrift store equivalent is in your area) could probably net you a few candidates.

Even big-name publishers like Maxis and EA have their share of unknown titles. There's only one exception I can think of; Most if not all Microsoft games/apps have been dumped here already since Microsoft is pretty much the bread and butter of this archive, even the wackiest ones like Microsoft Wine Guide and Microsoft Dogs. (Yes, those are real products. The early 90s multimedia craze had no bounds.)

Not to chastise the tremendous amount of effort the admins and contributors here have put into perserving as much software as possible, but honestly the Win9x game section of the FTP is rather lacking, so every bit helps.

Last edited by ElementalChaos on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
ElementalChaos wrote:
A single trip to a well-stocked Goodwill could probably net you a few candidates

What is this "Goodwill" and where in Hong-Kong would he find one?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Darkstar wrote:
ElementalChaos wrote:
A single trip to a well-stocked Goodwill could probably net you a few candidates

What is this "Goodwill" and where in Hong-Kong would he find one?

Goodwill is a thrift store. I don't think they exist in Hong Kong, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:33 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Hell, thrift stores are everywhere. Even in Hong Kong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
James wrote:
Hell, thrift stores are everywhere. Even in Hong Kong.

Indeed. However they are very scarce for example in Germany. And googling "goodwill" didn't help me with finding out what it was. But yeah, I guess Thrift Stores do exist in Hong Kong as well...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- James: That's quite a bold statement to make. What did you base it on? You've visited every place in the world? :p

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:22 am 
FTP Access

(I am somewhat new here, so I don't know if this is the right topic to discuss this)

How would one know what is on the FTP and what isn't for upload? Sorry if this question has been asked before.
Also, would the pictures have to be high quality enough just to prove that the software is original, or do they have have to be extremely high-res scans? What if I could take pictures using a camera, which isn't the best quality, but is just enough to make out most details? And would I have to take a picture of EVERYTHING included with the package to the absolute BEST of quality (including poster/manual scans)?

I don't think I have anything to upload yet, but I just wanted to ask questions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2222A
You can always check here: http://www.mrpijey.net/betaarchive/List/
After checking above, if you still have doubts, you can contact mrpijey to double-check.
Only scans 600dpi or higher are accepted. You MUST include a scan of the media itself (ie. CD / DVD / floppy); if you have the entire package, it's best if you can include at least front/sides/back/top of the package, front/back cover of manual, front/back insert of CD, etc (if applicable). If you want to/can take the time to scan the entire manual, much better, but it's not required.
Unless you have a professional camera and a "studio" you can use to take high-quality pics that look like scans, I doubt regular pictures will be accepted (unless it's a very rare/sought after software, in which case it may be accepted even if it's only the CD dump).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7(Build 7601)
About thrift stores,hong Kong got a lot of them.But for old software,it is extreme rare unless you got friends to give you some.You know ,the rent in hong knog is pretty high,a lot of stores like this were closed due to rent,or boght by the buildings devlopers(?)By the way,if you dont come to hong kong once,you cant imange how crowded is in hong kong.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 LG-D722 發送

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:43 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
Darkstar wrote:
AS95678 wrote:
...the "Your dump may be better than what is on the FTP" exception for abandonware and beta only applies to a select few people.

what? Where did you get that impression?

It's actually pretty easy. Just take the oldest game/operating system/application CD/DVD you find in your home (or in a friend's), scan it (or have someone else scan it), dump it, and upload it. Chances that exactly your version of that piece of software is already on the FTP are very very slim. Note that there are still some limitations as to what is accepted and what not(e.g. no driver CDs and stuff like that) but any game or regular operating system disc should be fine.

As for the "I don't want to upload, I just want to leech a windows beta", there are other places for that (no, I won't tell you where). This is a collector community, we're not here to provide you with free downloads just because you feel like it, you have to show at least some level of dedication...

will some old disney game cd i have work?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:26 pm 
Administrator

They might if they are original. Dump, scan, upload and see. I also suggest you come up with a better nickname... PM me when you've decided.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:29 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
mrpijey wrote:
They might if they are original. Dump, scan, upload and see. I also suggest you come up with a better nickname... PM me when you've decided.

ok i couldnt come up with a good random name

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7(Build 7601)
Wow..that’s a long name

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:53 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
DiaoSlime wrote:
Wow..that’s a long name

True It Is

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:59 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
It does kind of break the CSS of the page...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:35 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
mrpijey wrote:

OK i couldnt find the disney game thingy but what i did find was a diffrent old cd game something i dont know lol also how do i dump it scan it and upload it lol

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:42 pm 
Donator

Why don't you read what is linked in the signature of the person you are talking to.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:19 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
Wheatley wrote:
Why don't you read what is linked in the signature of the person you are talking to.

thank you

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro x64
man, i was so happy because i were going to be able to join FTP, but policies changed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:16 am 

Favourite OS
Macintosh System Twiggy Build
:( i dont have a cd rom drive

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
xdman6000 wrote:
:( i dont have a cd rom drive

If you have some CDs you'd like to contribute, it's worth getting a drive of your own if possible. Combo CD/DVD burners are dirt cheap these days, and installing one is rather easy. Alternatively, you could find someone else with an appropriate drive to dump the discs for you.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Palm OS 5.4.9
I'd actually say that gaining access is a little easier than it used to be. My only complaint is that user pruning is still active from all the way back in 2007. Contributing a piece of software and/or donation should safeguard an account from automatic deletion just as getting over 25 posts does. I have a new optical drive coming in a couple days which should allow me to do so, but I need to be super careful to make sure this account is still around for the day when I earn FTP access.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
As long as you login to the forum at least once every 6 months you're at no risk of pruning, and honestly, I tend only to prune accounts with 0 posts anyway.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:54 pm 

I agree, that access to FTP is quite hard to get. Like 5 and a quarter inch floppy software: there's no USB 5 and a quarter floppy disk drives. You'll need to buy an old computer with both 5¼ Floppy disk drive and 3½ Floppy disk drive to get this software to BA. Old PCs are expensive and hard to find, + there's a lot of PCs with broken floppy drive controllers. The process of getting FTP access must be easier.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next