BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 14d, 20h, 4m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 5373MB of 11650MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:53 pm 
Administrator

1: You're not limited to neither floppies or old software, you can contribute new stuff on discs as well.

2: There are USB 3.5" floppy drives. They don't work with XDF/DMF floppies, but those are few apart and mostly Microsoft titles.

3: You don't need old PCs, and they are not expensive to get.

It's not difficult at all to get onto the FTP if you only try.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2222A
EDIT: and mrpijey beat me to it :P

You don't need a 5¼ Floppy disk or drive to get FTP access.
Any software in original media (floppy, CD, DVD, etc) will do... You may want to re-read the guidelines and requirements...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Who said you need to get floppy disks? There is plenty of CD/DVD software out there that we don't have.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
vlad557776 wrote:
Like 5 and a quarter inch floppy software: there's no USB 5 and a quarter floppy disk drives. You'll need to buy an old computer with both 5¼ Floppy disk drive and 3½ Floppy disk drive to get this software to BA.

https://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/p ... ucts_id=28

http://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=scp

These are two similar devices for reading from a floppy drive in to a current computer. They also handle copy protected and non PC disks. Although having a vintage computer around is very handy for testing.

Also, some motherboards had real floppy controllers up until, I think, around 2013. Some crufty Athlon X64 system might not have a floppy drive installed, but the motherboard might support them.

vlad557776 wrote:
Old PCs are expensive and hard to find, + there's a lot of PCs with broken floppy drive controllers. The process of getting FTP access must be easier.

Have you tried asking around? Someone near you is at least likely to have a few CDs stuffed away in a closet somewhere. Ask enough people and you might even find something that is worth some money.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
I have a HP OEM disc of Windows XP SP2, that it says is only for use with Restore CD.

Will it work? I should mention I have no access to a scanner in my town but I do have a S7 Edge which takes pretty sharp pictures.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Schneider616 wrote:
I have a HP OEM disc of Windows XP SP2, that it says is only for use with Restore CD.

Will it work?

No, restore/recovery media is not accepted. Also drivers and "bundleware" is also not accepted. You would know that if you had bothered to read the guide which is linked in mrpijey's signature.

@mrpijey: maybe you can put a link to your guide in the forum rules, that way there is a single point where new people can be referred to...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
It doesn't have any driver, it's the original disc - CD 394378-002. Last time I used it it worked installing vanilla XP SP2 from it from Windows 2000. It didn't work booting from the disc though, asking for a recovery CD that I don't have.

But okay, I understand that it isn't accepted.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:03 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Schneider616 wrote:
It doesn't have any driver, it's the original disc - CD 394378-002. Last time I used it it worked installing vanilla XP SP2 from it from Windows 2000. It didn't work booting from the disc though, asking for a recovery CD that I don't have.

But okay, I understand that it isn't accepted.

you can upload it to archive.org

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
Well, I can officially say I am giving up on gaining FTP access. It's just too hard finding anything that can fit for uploading. I've asked all my friends, and used the database while at that. Either it's on the FTP already or on other sites.

What I found:

Apocalyptica (2003, Konami) - not on FTP, but can be found on MyAbandonware
Super Taxi Driver (1998/2002?) - not on FTP either, English copy is on archive.org (mine is a italian copy distributed by Microforum Italia)
IQ Builder - (2002, Shockwave) - made by SilverCorn - couldn't find it anywhere on the internet
CoD: World At War - already on FTP
Midnight Racer (2008?, Nestle) - not on FTP but easy to find on Google

This is all I could find. The rest of the discs I gathered are non-PC discs. (Playstation 2 and 1 discs)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2222A
The ones "not on FTP", if you have them in original media (ie. retail purchased discs), they're valid FTP submissions, regardless of whether the game/soft is available elsewhere in another format.
BA is all about proper preservation: it must be a proper dump from original media along with scans (all following the corresponding guidelines).
Even stuff that is on the DB can be submitted, as your submission may be better (ie. better scans or something).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
I suppose I can dump Super Taxi Driver if it fits, although I only have the disc. I lost the case 10-12 years ago, but I do know the disc is a retail one, and comes with a few demos of games I really never heard of. (Solaris, Paintball Heroes and something called Gunlok?) All of it is in italian though.

Again, I don't have access to a scanner. I could improvise something good enough to get a straight and clear photo of the disc on a white A4 sheet though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:42 pm 
Administrator

Because it's on the internet on other sites doesn't mean it can't be uploaded here, but it does have to be original and not some junk downloaded elsewhere.

Please send up Apocalyptica and Super Taxi Driver if you have them as originals.

Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:13 pm 

What could I possibly upload? I wasn't even born back in the 90's and was a lil kid in early 2000's so is there anything I could provide for FTP access? :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:31 pm 
Administrator

Try to read the post made by me at the top of this page.... or try to read one of the endless topics we have about this, and why you're not forced to contribute stuff only from the 90's....

And because you weren't born when the software was made doesn't mean you can't find it if you tried.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
Have uploaded Super Taxi Driver to the upload FTP, but when I checked again for the folder, it was gone.

What happened? :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:19 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Schneider616 wrote:
Have uploaded Super Taxi Driver to the upload FTP, but when I checked again for the folder, it was gone.

What happened? :?

have you went to ucp.php?i=167 and selected ftp access and applyed for it? If you did then mrpijey wouldve started processing it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
Yes, I did. It currently says "Pending memberships".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:53 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Looks like mrpijey has started processing it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:02 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Andy wrote:
We're open to suggestions on how else you can contribute that would be beneficial to the community and allow you to receive access in return.

I think that you should be given ftp access at 250 posts.

Anyways the only OS i have is Windows XP ia64 japanese, from MSDN, but i dont know whether its the 2001 or 2003 edition, because i havent downloaded it.
Its already on ftp.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:13 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Just because you have 250 posts doesn't mean that you've contributed sufficient information to the community, and we'd have to check those posts do conform which takes a lot of time. We used to have a 10 post requirement but we found that ineffective. People would stop by, get their access and then just download never to contribute again.

We need something that sustains the community and everything we're doing.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:19 pm 
Administrator

MCpillager12 wrote:

Anyways the only OS i have is Windows XP ia64 japanese, from MSDN, but i dont know whether its the 2001 or 2003 edition, because i havent downloaded it.
Its already on ftp.

Smart, a bit more posts than what you have at the moment, but not out of your reach to get easy FTP access... I see what you did there :).

No, posts alone won't do it. We're a software preservation community so what you need to contribute is something worth preserving. And if you really wanted access you would have easily found something to contribute, others have without any real effort. It's quite simple, if you want to get access to what others gathered and contributed you need to contribute yourself.

If you make an effort it will pay off.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:12 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
All i have is some Dell OEM software.
I also have ACDSee 3.1, but the computer it is on is not booting right now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm 
Administrator

Then you will need to find something else, I am sorry.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:28 pm 
FTP Access

MCpillager12 wrote:
Andy wrote:
We're open to suggestions on how else you can contribute that would be beneficial to the community and allow you to receive access in return.

As someone who mainly works at the wiki, I would have wished that an alternative method of getting FTP access would involve some level of contribution on the wiki. But then the question would arise on why a similar mechanism would not exist on the forum, and hence can understand the admins' point of forcing contribution of a release to gain access, even if I understand that it is undesirable in cases like these.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP Access Rights are too hard to obtain.        Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:10 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
mrpijey wrote:
Then you will need to find something else, I am sorry.

I have a dell oem cd of cyberlink powerdvd 5.7, dated 2005.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next