Private Servers

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Jeff
Donator

Private Servers

Post by Jeff »

I have a question regarding the Private Servers section.

Now that this forum has been around for a while, most members that have made a reasonable contribution to the forums have gained over the 10 posts required to gain access to the private servers forum. I think that now, it may be appropriate to raise the required post amount from 10 to maybe 30 or 50.

This would make the forum a better place with more posts. (everyone who was already granted access could keep it though.)

Does this seem logical?

Feel free to yell at me!
-Jeff

Apache
Donator

Post by Apache »

What about the new members though? They will have to wok up more posts before they can gain access
|3e|\|

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I think this is a good idea because we have more than 280 members with less than 30 posts.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

*Yells at you*

While I agree, I still don't see the point. Not only does it make harder work for me counting to 30 on two hands (lol ), but it just creates a wider span for members to post spam. At least keeping that number low to 10 prevents it. Remember once most of them have access they never post again so their risk of spamming is zero. I'd rather keep it like that. The only reasoable way to do it would be to increase it to 100 or so posts.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Andy wrote:Remember once most of them have access they never post again
But by doing so they have access to the servers, yet contribute nothing to the community.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

If the only reasonable way of doing it is increasing the required posts to 100, I vote yes! (maybe we could make the contribution rules a bit less strict)
-Jeff

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

I would have no problem with this, though I think the contribution rules would become less strict naturally, because i doubt Andy would want to check through 100 posts or more and count up which are spam and which aren't. I think just skimming through the posts would be enough to see if someone is spamming.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

hounsell wrote:I would have no problem with this, though I think the contribution rules would become less strict naturally, because i doubt Andy would want to check through 100 posts or more and count up which are spam and which aren't. I think just skimming through the posts would be enough to see if someone is spamming.
Could be an idea. But my point above about them posting then never returning was good because they contribute their 10 post, that are not spam, then they never have the need to spam.

The problem with increasing the posts to 100 is that it would mean I'd have to kick people out of the group who have less than this figure, which seems unfair as some of these members are legit, and when they do post, they post a lot of very very useful information.

Its a no win situation all the time isnt it

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

How about forcing the members to keep them active? So when you have 10 contribution posts you can go access private servers but if you dont make more than 5 contrib posts per week you get kicked out. (however you can apply again by doing another 10 posts... )

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The problem then arises of keeping track of who has posted what. Quite hard when we have this many members.

constrictor
Donator

Post by constrictor »

i say it stays as is becuase i like to have access to the server but ill post my occasional bit of info.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I would assume if you upped the amount of required posts to 100 you would allow anyone who was already in the group to stay in the group.
-Jeff